HUB North Shore Committee regular meetings will be held online using Zoom, on the first Thursday of every month at 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Everybody is welcome.
Online conference call at https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85326713256?pwd=UUNtTGx4NVBSL2FXcFVXY1dVS1pNZz09
By phone: call 778-907-2071, Meeting ID: 853 2671 3256, Passcode: 406068
One tap mobile: +17789072071,,85326713256#,,,,*406068#
- Agenda additions
- HUB HQ want a list of 2021 completed projects
- North Shore MLAs
- Jan-28: Meeting with Bowinn Ma & Erin O'Melinn (HUB Exec Director)
- Slow streets signage and enforcement
- Updating the MVA to a Safe Roads Act.
- set up meeting with MLAs - Don
- Jan-28: Meeting with Bowinn Ma & Erin O'Melinn (HUB Exec Director)
- Public input is critical when Council and Staff make trade-offs and decisions. Please make sure your voice is heard!!
- Take the CNV's Mobility Strategy survey! Closes Feb 11 4pm. https://letstalk.cnv.org/mobility/survey_tools/help-shape-the-draft-mobility-strategy
Goals & Objectives
- 2021 Goals Setting
- Review of progress in 2021 & brainstorm ideas for 2022
- Implementation of 3 top priority Bikeways
- Establish communications with community stakeholders re Bikeways.
- Recruit more committee members
- Groups.io survey
- Friends & family
- Email to NS HUB members
- Outdoor Safety and Emergency Preparedness - May 7th, 11-2pm, Argyle
City of North Vancouver - Nadia
CNV Key Contacts & Staff Meetings
- HUB’s primary contact: Brandon Green
- Next meeting with staff: TBD
Esplanade Complete Street
- Construction is currently underway between Mahon and St Georges.
- Bike lanes are maintained in both directions through the work area.
- Current information can be found at www.cnv.org/ecs
- Any comments/questions can be directly sent to Mo Bot at firstname.lastname@example.org
Moody Avenue & 3rd
- Up and running!
St Andrews Safety Improvements
- The following are now complete:
- New sidewalks on the east side
- Bumpout & yellow delineators (at 9th)
- Raised crosswalks (at 8th and 9th)
- Due to a national road paint shortage, the road has not yet been repainted to narrow the travel lane and provide an uphill parking protected bike lane.
- Once complete, counts will follow to measure changes to volume and speed.
- Signage typical on CNV bike routes will be added, confirming users are on the route.
- Destination based bicycle wayfinding is not included in this project, as it will be delivered once the City develops a broader wayfinding strategy.
CNV Mobility Strategy
- Met with CNV staff on Feb 2 to provide HUB North Shore’s feedback: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lp3rMTwRwLgSE7rpXIEt0zNLRp8SGWsSFaDQpHIWB_0/edit?usp=sharing
- Take the survey! It closes Feb 11 @ 4pm (1 week extension) - https://letstalk.cnv.org/mobility
- Coordinated with HUB HQ to send an email out to all HUB members/stakeholders with our suggestions HUB Action Alert
Community Wellbeing Strategy
- The City is developing a Community Wellbeing Strategy to plan for the services, resources, amenities, activities, and places that will help our community thrive. The Strategy will serve as a guide for how to make decisions about social infrastructure over the next 10 years.
- Public feedback results will be shared in early 2022.
- Project timeline: https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/ehq-production-canada/4bccf98cf34dd36cfacb1618684e29182a1b4415/original/1632256590/35d66e477789839e981e3ba9b63d349e_Process_Graphic_9_21_72dpi.jpg?1632256590
At next CNV staff meeting, plan to follow up on:
- Upper Levels Greenway
- Carson Graham School Area Active Transportation Improvements
- Forbes & 3rd
- Bike storage designs
ITC - Dana & Jonathan
- New term cycle of ITC with a few new members. Meeting was mostly orientation and an overview of how the City development process works.
- Note that the Upper Levels Greenway proposal is out for public comment: https://letstalk.cnv.org/upper-levels-greenway
District of North Vancouver - Fred/Don
- Next Meeting with staff: Feb-24
- Marine Dr cycling link (south): DWV border – McGuire
- Mtn Hwy - Arborlynn connector
- Arborlynn corridor safety study
- Spirit Trail planning
- Wayfinding priorities
- Slow Streets
- Transportation Workshop - Jan-31
- over 60 people attended the workshop
- Upper Lynn Rd
- Biggest concern is public consultation
- Also some discussion of Priorities, RoI on this route vs other options.
- 30% of 1.4M$ cost is for Cycling, rest for lights, sidewalks & bus stops.
- Not many objections to Phase 1, Phase 2 is more challenging, several options need to be explored.
- E 29th
- 3 on Council want to re-instate parking on south side - "compromise"
- Average 50 users per day in fall 2021
- Proposed to remove pylons due to safety issues
- Other 4 councillors focus on safety, long term goal and that numbers will increase as the network grows.
- Some residents want parking on one side, move bi-directional bike lane to north side.
- 2022 Construction plans (to be confirmed):
- Hunter Street Bridge
- Marine Drive connection?
- Paisley Rd route
- Arborlynn connector
- Welch St
- 2021 Completed:
- W 15th
- Lower Lynn Wayfinding
- Permanent Traffic counters (LV RD & Welch St Park)
District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter/Mike
2022/23 budget proposals for ACTIVE TRANSPORTATION INFRASTRUCTURE
- Bike Rack Installation - District-Wide focussing on parks.
- Marine Drive Bike Lanes - East of LGB planned to be completed this year.
- Marine Drive Separated Bike Lanes - 26th to 31st.
- 31st to Westmount Road Active Transportation Upgrades will include some separated uphill bike lanes and sharrows on the downhill lanes.
- Mathers Avenue Extension of cycling path from the Hugo Ray Connector along local streets (3rd Street and Mathers Avenue as far as 575 Mathers Avenue).
- Cycling Wayfinding - Hugo Ray to Deep Dene, Capilano Pacific Trail.
- Mobility Initiatives - 30 km/h Pilot, Shared/Slow Streets, Traffic Calming Policy, School Safety Upgrades.
- Traffic Signals & Intersection Improvements - Marine at 31st involving upgrades to the intersection, including signalization of the north and south approaches (currently stop-sign controlled).
- North Shore Connects - Temporary Full Time FTE to support participation in this and other regional initiatives.
21 January meeting with Jenn Moller, Director of Engineering and Transportation
- Just one 30 km/hr speed restriction zone - signage only as not enough funds for engineering features - will not be a pilot.
- Slow Streets - depending on funding, will look at what can be done on Bellevue and Ambleside/Dundarave loops.
- Mobility Plan (formerly an update to the strategic transportation plan) - Kirk and Co. will be doing public engagement this spring - the plan will not be completed this year.
- Ambleside Local Area Plan - initial step will be driven by a citizen-led initiative that could go on into 2023.
- We should meet with Sue Ketler, Director of Parks, Culture & Community Services re: the Spirit Trail bypass and Horseshoe Bay Park renovation to get separated bike lanes on Bay Street.
- Lime e-bike share will be launched in DWV this spring with no helmet mandate.
New path on Welch Street Bridge
- The official opening will probably be in the spring and could include the unveiling of some Squamish Nation public art.
Cilcovia Family Day Event
- It is tentatively planned for June or September of this year.
- HUB North /Shore will not play a major role in the overall organization of the event but has offered to organize the following four proposed components of the event:
- set up and operate a tent and table to distribute HUB information;
- coordinate with the North Shore Safety Council to arrange for a bike rodeo;
- coordinate with DWV Police Dept to see if they will offer 529 Garage registrations; and
- will lead one or more group bike rides around a predetermined bike loop through Ambleside and Dundarave.
MOTI - Don/Jonathan
- Lower Lynn Interchanges
- Mountain Hwy Interchange
- Protection for Northbound on Mtn-Hwy at south intersection - MoTI will add spring 2022.
- Mt Seymour parkway/Keith Interchange
- DNV Ph2/4 wayfinding signage should going up???
- Main-Dollarton interchange
- New access ramps to existing tunnel on north side, completed but path ends with fence at Phibbs
- Sent comments to DNV on Ph3 wayfinding signage.
- Phibbs exchange upgrade
- Requested changes to bikelanes on Orwell and wider cross-walks+cross-rides
- Mountain Hwy Interchange
- Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study: Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
- Still waiting for draft report - seems that DNV got a copy.
- Lynn valley & Cap road Interchange Cycling improvement designs -
- have asked to see and share final designs, next year maybe?
- Cycling Gaps project
- Provided comments on draft of MoTI's Gap's list.
- Next phase will be prioritization, no dates yet.
- Small projects - maintenance issues
- Meet with MoTI's Operations Mgr Oct 14th
- Phillips ave Tunnel barriers - looking to make changes, but best option will require DNV and local resident buy in.
- Will consider Repairs to Paths between Cap bridg , North interchange and Phillips tunnel in 2022
- Cypress Bowl Road - MoTI are gathering information. We and others have suggested reallocation of 1 uphill lane during non-ski season.
- HSB & Exit 0
Communications & Outreach - Heather/Antje/Giacomo/Paul
- Communications = Paul, Antje, Giacomo, Heather
- Send Antje photos of new or existing good infrastructure on the North Shore or tag @hubnorthshore on Twitter
- let us know if there is something we should communicate about - blocked bike lanes, new infrastructure, etc.
- Several folks have expressed interest in working on Bike Educations and encouraging kids to ride to school
- If a few people are willing to champion this this could be a 2022 goal
- Ask them about slow streets?