2021-09-02 Agenda

From committees
Jump to navigation Jump to search

HUB North Shore Committee regular meetings will be held online using Zoom, on the first Thursday of every month at 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Everybody is welcome.

Online conference call at https://zoom.us/j/98976249728?pwd=NE9BM1RUTjlScUp0c0VIbWFlMG5LUT09

By phone: call 778-907-2071, Meeting ID: 989 7624 9728, Passcode: 166390
One tap mobile: +17789072071,,98976249728#,,,,*166390#


  • Agenda additions
  • Introductions
  • Return to in person meetings?
  • Recruiting:
    • DNV Liaisons
    • Vice Chair
    • Wiki-Master
    • CNV liaison

  • Public Input/Consultations:
    • Public input is critical when Council and Staff make trade-offs and decisions. Please make sure your voice is heard!!

Upcoming Events

  • Happy Go By Bike Week!! - Sep 21 to Oct 1 -
    • looking for volunteers at celebration stations.
      • Tuesday 29th 4-6pm - 1st and Welch St (CNV)
      • Do we want to sponsor one at 2nd Narrows? - will need at least 6 volunteers + organizer

City of North Vancouver - Erika/Nadia

CNV Teams & Key Contacts

  • HUB’s primary contact: Brandon Green
  • Transportation Planning
    • Manager: Andrew Devlin
    • Other contact: Daniel Watson, Transportation Planner
    • Long term planning, policy
    • Example projects: e-bike pilot, Safe Routes to School, Ridgeway School Zone Safety
  • Traffic Engineering
    • Manager: Kliment Kuzmanovski:
    • Other contact: Brandon Green, Transportation Engineer
    • Specific safety concerns, Signalling, signage, pavement markings, etc.
  • Public Realm Infrastructure
    • Manager: Justin Hall
    • Other contacts: Mo Bot, Project Manager (Esplanade) / Christel Lindgren, Planner (St Andrews)
    • Major infrastructure projects, sidewalk related work
    • Example projects: St Andrews, Esplanade
  • Integrated Transportation Committee: advises Council and City staff on transportation policy, planning and mobility issues within the CNV. Focus on active transportation, transit and the integration of all modes of transportation. Looks at all transportation-related projects. Council rep: Tony Valente.


  • Zach Mathurin is the North Shore Mobility Options Coordinator and is leading the roll out of e-bikes and e-scooters on the North Shore.
  • Lime e-bike pilot launched on July 26; slow roll-out to reach 200 bikes over the next few weeks; need to download the Lime app to locate and purchase rides; currently only operating in CNV & DNV, but aiming for DWV in August.
  • Role for HUB: promote/share through our social media channels.

Kings Mill Walk master plan

  • Revised design: https://letstalk.cnv.org/kingsmill
    • Separated pedestrian and cyclist paths all along the south and east sides; keeping the MUP on the west.
    • Very conceptual design right now; BCATDG guidelines for width will be the target.
    • Harbourside protected bike route (south side).

St Andrews Safety Improvements

  • Proposed design: https://letstalk.cnv.org/st-andrews-safety-improvements-project
    • Uphill mobility lane, cyclists protected behind parked cars, sharing on the downhill
    • Pavement marking and delineators; simple to adjust if needed post-evaluation
  • On bike master plan, though not identified as a priority corridor in the mobility strategy.
  • Aiming to proceed with updates later this year; waiting on paint availability.
  • Considered other options (e.g. shifting curb, median) but ruled out because too costly.

Upper Lonsdale

  • No specific projects at this time, dependent on the Lonsdale interchange.
  • Documented in the master plan.

West 3rd at Forbes

  • Intersection upgrade will be tied to a sidewalk project that goes through the Squamish Nation up to Keith.
  • Commencing engagement with the Nation week of July 26.
  • Aiming to complete all upgrades (sidewalk + intersection) by the end of 2022.

Flexible Posts

  • Keith/Heywood: work has been approved, paint is on the road, and delineators expected this week or next.
  • Other areas have been identified through some work with Urban Systems (e.g. Chesterfield/Esplanade).

ITC - Dana & Jonathan


District of North Vancouver - Fred/Don

  • Liaisons meeting regularly with Ingrid (DNV). Last meeting was Mar 30th.
    • discussed HUB Priorities and 2021 plans
    • Upper LV Road (Phase I) from TC to Peters Road in 2021. Expect DNV web site update soon for more information.
    • Peters to Dempsey planned for 2022 but may be included in Phase I. DNV expecting a lot of push back from community on upper LVR. Looking for HUB member support, especially from those living on this corridor.
    • Upper LVR improvements contingent on obtaining third party infrastructure funding. Assuming funding is successful it means the "DNV will be spending 50% of the transportation budget on active transportation according to Mayor Little."
    • The DNV will be expediting improvements to the Mountain Hwy corridor to Lynn Valley town centre to address cycling impediments. Awaiting details.
    • Liaisons requested road paving schedule. Paving section of LVR between Molly Nye to Mountain Hwy will depend on a sanitary sewer project on that route. Ingrid will share complete schedule. Possibly as soon as next week.
    • Bridge replacement over Mosquito Creek to eliminate steps is a Parks Board project (not a cycling amenity) and time frame is unknown. There is a narrow at grade crossing some metres downstream connecting to a gravel path, more suitable to trail bikes.

Mtn. Hwy to Peters Road

  • Currently in the design stage - on Hold due to pushback from locals

Arborlyn Connector

  • Provided comments on Draft designs for a MUP on west/north side of Mountain Hwy north of the overpass.
    • Plan to build this fall
  • Waiting for design on East/south side - build in spring 2022?

Tatlow + W15th

  • A DVV priority. Requires engagement with local residents. Connection from Marine Drive to 15th needs attention.
    • Construction should be underway
  • Hiring a consultant to do the connection on Marine between Capilano Rd and Garden, Hope to build next spring.

Hunter Street Bridge in Lynn Creek TC

  • Provided comments on design in May. Mostly a Recreational MUP, with limited through connectivity.
  • Construction to start this year

Capilano Rd/Highway Underpass MOTI project

  • Ingrid to discuss with MoTI in Sept.
    • The route improvements around the tennis court are not in the scope of work but Michael Braun of MoTI is looking to fund by his maintenance budget.
    • The barriers in Phillipstunnel


  • Need to ask about budget for missing Wayfinding signage
  • DNV did not buy bike path sweeper in 2020 due to COVID-19, but not sure if it is in the 2021 budget request.
  • Started discussion of adding protection to bike lanes on Mountain Highway south of the Hwy Overpass. DNV however is adverse to providing protection, pointing out that there are alternative safe routes when MoTI project is completed.

District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter/Mike

District of West Vancouver

  • Bike to shop day on 7 August
    • Don and I volunteered at the both set up by HUB, located at the atrium in Park Royal South which was not a location attractive for people on bicycles.
    • Don and I invited passing pedestrians to the booth and we counted over 100.
    • Only two cyclists showed up at the booth and it was at the end of the 2-hour period.
    • Apparently ADBI had been approached to participate but did want to pay the participation fees to HUB.
  • 26 August phone call with Jenn Moller, director of Engineering and Transportation
    • Ciclovia
      • West Vancouver Active Family Day on Sunday, 26 September may not occur as planned due to concerns expressed by ADBI about their responsibility in organizing and paying for the event.
      • Jenn has canvassed interested parties for a 30-minute meeting with ADBIA next week.
      • I sense a concern about who will fund the event - Jenn says she is willing to contribute $12,00 but doesn't have the money in her budget.
      • It seems likely to me that the event will be postponed until next spring.
    • Lack of bike racks in Ambleside parks
    • In response to the photo of 23 bikes strewn over the lawn in John Lawson Park, Jenn said that there was a 2020 plan for bike racks in the parks but it didn't happen due to COVID-19.
    • Plans for bike lanes on Westmount Road
  • DWV Capital Planning
    • Jenn said her deadline for input is the end of September and she would like to meet with us before then to discuss her input.
  • Strategic Transportation plan update
    • Preparation is behind schedule and it is planned to have technical conditions and milestones for the project by the end of August.
    • The timing for consulting with stakeholders has not yet been determined.
  • Protected bike lane on Marine Drive east of the LGB
    • DNV has the lead on this project and DWV will provide input with the project due for completion in 2022.
  • Lime bike share
    • Implementation issues in North Van have delayed setting up in West Van.

MOTI - Don/Jonathan

  • Lower Lynn Interchanges - Monthly meeting - schedules continue to slip.
    • Mountain Hwy Interchange
      • 4m MUP along the north side westbound Mtn Hwy offramp will have 10 "refuges", so the hill will be a series of 10m 15% pitches with 2m flats (refuge). Should open in mid-Sep.
      • Have asked for protection for Northbound on Mtn-Hwy at south intersection
    • Mt Seymour parkway/Keith Interchange
      • bike detour in place until Mid-sept (to demolish old bridge and complete south side of new one)
    • Main-Dollarton interchange
      • onramp to IWMB west sidewalk closed until Nov (detour via east sidewalk)
      • new 4m MUP on south side of main-dollarton open but unfinished, Mid September hopefully
        • New wider(was 2m, new 4m) island at East intersection is under construction
      • new access ramps to existing tunnel on north side will be rebuild from Mid-Sept to late Oct.
    • Phibbs exchange upgrade
      • Construction could start in spring 2022 at earliest
      • moving bus stops to Oxford & Main Street for duration of construction
  • Cycling Gaps project
    • Consultant still working on list, 450 gaps. Prioritization of them will be another project.
  • BC Economic Recovery funding -
    • HUB provided feedback to design team (Parsons) on near final design of Lynn Valley Rd underpass and Capilano Rd interchange
    • have asked to see and share final designs - no word back yet
  • Lane Control upgrades on Lions Gate Bridge & Causeway
    • Minimal impact on cyclists, most of the work will be at night and won't block the path.
  • Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study: Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
    • Still waiting for draft report - seems to be on hold

Communications & Outreach - Heather/Antje/Giacomo/Paul


  • Communications = Paul, Antje, Giacomo, Heather
    • let us know if there is something we should communicate about - blocked bike lanes, new infrastructure, etc.
  • We are coordinating our approach to communications on groups.io, Facebook and Twitter
    • Facebook and Twitter have increased in terms of numbers of followers and numbers of original posts
    • Number of posts on FB up %169 | 200% increase in comments shares and likes.
    • Number of posts on Twitter up 104% followers up 30 for total of 1311
  • Targets:
    • double Facebook followers by Dec 2021 and add +300 to Twitter
    • Commitment to send out 2 google group emails per week
    • New North Van Rides episodes on Youtube - subscribe to Heather Drugge
  • Call for comms topix
  • Still looking for help with photos / videos

Developers - Fred/Paul & Peter

  • Currently active:
    • West Van
      • Marine Drive
    • CNV
      • Habourside
    • DNV
      • Maplewood
      • Lynn Creek TC
        • Interesting redevelopment at Marie Place (off Crown St east of Mtn Hwy) in the Lynn Creek town Centre. DNV council allowed it to go to first reading at March 29 /2021 council meeting. Eleven single family homes to be replaced by two 6 storey apartments. Unique to the plan is to provide bicycle parking facilities on each floor of both buildings. The same developer owns a large property to the west bordering Mountain Hwy which includes the Dykoff Nursery lands for which they are hoping to get council approval. Mayor Little commented that these projects need wider support from the community for council to consider them. Those who spoke in favour tended to have a business relationship. HUB NS is aware that without large scale redevelopment Lynn Creek will not see better cycling infrastructure. A HUB member presence might make a difference. The concept of locating bike rooms in upper floors is gaining traction.

Translink - Antje

  • Secure bike parking at Lonsdale Quay