2022-05-05 Summary

From committees
Revision as of 13:25, 11 May 2022 by imported>Dpiercy (→‎Events)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

HUB North Shore Committee regular meeting was held Thursday May 5th, at 6:30pm - 8:15pm. Our first in person meeting in 2 years (as well as online)

Attendees: , Don, Fiona, Nadia, Jasper?, Paul J, Erika, Anthony?, Duncan, ...

General

Public Input/Consultations

  • Public input is critical when Council and Staff make trade-offs and decisions. Please make sure your voice is heard!!
    • Upper Levels Greenway
      • Survey closes May 20 4pm
      • Seeking input on design approaches & potential routes
        • Design approaches: multi-use pathway, wide sidewalk & protected bicycle lane, wide sidewalk & local street bikeway, natural surface pathway
        • Route options: (1) Westview Dr, crosses Lonsdale at 27th, ends at Lynn Valley Road (2) Westview Dr, crosses Lonsdale at 26th, ends at Lynn Valley Road (3) Westview Dr, crosses Lonsdale at 25th, ends at Lynn Valley Road
        • What are our recommendations??
    • Kirkstone Park to Salop Trail cycling route
      • DNV's part of the Lynn Valley Town Centre to Lynn Creek Town Centre Cycling Route, one of HUB NS's 3 top priority routes
      • Survey now open until May 24th
      • Some things you may want to comment on:
        • What are our recommendations??
    • Main Street - west of 2nd narrows bridge
      • Westbound from harbour to Lynn creek Bridge. Crossing this gap is a top priority on one of HUB NS's 3 top priority routes
      • Survey now open until May 29th
      • Some things you may want to comment on:
        • What are our recommendations??
    • Not cycling related but DNV also has a survey for it's Natural Areas Trails Strategy
    • Planning the Upper Lands
      • Survey closes May 20
      • Creating a sustainable urban community in Cypress Village and protecting lands in Eagleridge
      • Some things you may want to comment on:
        • What are our recommendations??
    • The Shipyards Strategy
      • Survey is now open until August 31st 4pm (it’s quick ~ 5 minutes. 1 open ended, rest are multiple choice/checkboxes).
      • ‘What could we do better?’. A few cycling related responses:
        • More bike parking
        • Better/clearer bike routes (wayfinding signage with destinations, pavement markings)
        • Separation of walking & cycling
        • Slower car speeds in the surrounding areas
        • Bike valet at events


Goals & Objectives

  • 2022
    • Implementation of 3 top priority Bikeways
    • Establish communications with community stakeholders re Bikeways.
    • Recruit more committee members
  • Poster/Display for Bike Stores, Libraries, ...
    • To connect with "Interested but concerned" cyclists
    • Poster to catch attention and give overview (~8.5x11)
    • with tray for Cycle Maps and new "Join HUB North Shore" business cards.


Events

  • Outdoor Safety and Emergency Preparedness - May 7th, 11-2pm, Argyle
    • Don, Duncan and Anthony meet lots of people, and ran out of maps
  • Go By Bike Week - May 30 - June 3, 2022
    • Wed, June 1 12-2pm, Shipyards District in North Van
      • Don, Nadia
    • Wed, June 1 4-6pm, 13th and Argyle in West Van
      • Paul S, Mike, Anthony


Survey Results



City of North Vancouver - Nadia

CNV Key Contacts & Staff Meetings

  • HUB’s primary contact: Brandon Green
  • Met with Brandon on April 27th.

CNV Mobility Strategy

Community Wellbeing Strategy

Forbes & 3rd

  • Timeline for upgrades is uncertain; CNV is working with the Squamish Nation. Archaeological component to any changes given the site of a former residential school.
  • Could be up to 2 years away.

Bike Storage Designs

  • As part of the Mobility Strategy, CNV will be looking at zoning bylaw updates regarding new developments and high quality bike storage/bike rooms designs.
  • Taking on some research over the summer re new developments (including on/off street bike parking). Will engage HUB on guidelines this summer/fall.
  • Sent this document to Brandon to share with the team: https://bikehub.ca/sites/default/files/hub_cycling_amenities_report.pdf

E-Bike Share

  • Going well, ridership has been strong & feedback has been positive
  • Last summer, ~6000 rides/month with ~2.5 rides/bikes/day
  • Ridership declined over the winter, but starting to creep up again
  • In the process of addressing: providing helmets with the bikes, equity programs, additional groves across the city
  • Working on getting ridership data publicly available

Casano-Loutet Overpass

  • Staff are still working through the permitting process with MoTI and First Nations. Construction anticipated in 2023.

Cotton-Main St Bridge Over Lynn Creek

  • Scope is two-fold: need to conduct a bridge inspection + putting forward a business case to widen the bridge
  • No detailed plans/designs yet; will engage HUB for input at a later stage
  • Need to wait for federal funding as it is going to be costly.

ITC - Dana & Jonathan

  • May meeting postponed to end of month (no updates)


District of North Vancouver - Fred/Don

  • Upper Lynn Valley Rd
    • Ingrid will set up meeting with us in next month or so.
    • Council approved building Mtn. Hwy to Peters Road this summer
      • painted bikelanes on both sides, much of the parking removed. Protection at start of each block
    • Council approved for public consultations for Peters to Dempsey this spring
  • 2022 Construction plans:
    • Hunter Street Bridge
      • construction started, complete by Nov/Dec
    • Marine Dr cycling link (south): DWV border – McGuire - Design spring, Build Winter 2022-23
      • Will share concept design in month or so.
    • Arborlynn connector
      • West side in 2022
        • Design done, Waiting for Metro Van approval to start construction
      • East side
        • requested an update design 2022? build 2023?
    • Paisley Rd route - deferred
  • Spirit Trail, East of Seymour planning:
    • Initial Concepts & timeline will be shared with this summer
    • Will build in multiple phases over next 10 years
  • Wayfinding signage:
    • DNV has put up some new wayfinding signage around the new Keith/Mt Seymour overpass, but not all.
    • DNV will share new Lower Lynn & Brooksbank designs by end of April
    • Also requested some for Lower cap road, Pemberton heights (23rd to Paisley and McKay)
  • Safe Streets (was slow streets) - Council workshop on May 16th
  • Repaving Riverside Drive - asked for design and if bikelanes included.


District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter/Mike

7 April meeting with the Mayor and TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn

  • Peter was invited and is attending this West Van Chamber of Commerce annual meeting with the mayor where transportation will be a major topic discussed.


MOTI - Don/Jonathan

  • Lower Lynn Interchanges
    • Mountain Hwy Interchange
      • Protection for Northbound on Mtn-Hwy at south intersection - MoTI will add spring 2022.
    • Keith/MSP interchange
      • MoTI working on solution to blind merge created by the sound barrier at the SW end of the overpass where the Orwell MUP connects.
      • DNV has put up some new wayfinding signage, but not all.
    • Main-Dollarton interchange
      • New access ramps to existing tunnel on north side, completed but path ends with fence at Phibbs
      • Rating for response from MoTI
    • Phibbs Exchange
      • Start delayed until summer
  • Small projects - maintenance issues
    • Don to follow up this month


Communications & Outreach - Antje/Paul/Heather

  • let us know if there is something we should communicate about - blocked bike lanes, new infrastructure, etc.
  • Twitter
    • Account now run by Antje and Rueben
    • Rueben is documenting Esplanade construction and has created a list of other locations for regular posting of infrastructure on Twitter


Schools - Paul Janzen

  • April 27 webinar on Active School travel:
    • Hosted by Kulvir Mann.
    • Outlined the process for closing streets around the school to promote AT. "School Streets" program.
    • Rose Gardner with HUB outlined our education programs for those unaware.
    • Alyshia Burak (formerly HUB) outlined City of Van trial "School Streets" from 2021.
    • Faye Willickfrom DASH BC outlined their efforts to promote AT in BC.
  • Update from HUB HQ on North Shore school involvement:
    • CNV funds all schools.
    • DNV funding 7 schools in 2022 up from 4 in 2021, 0 in 2020.
    • West Van funds 0/nada/zilch/nuttin schools for bike ed. Do they have someone from the municipality that works on this issue?
    • Does anyone have a connection with one or more of the following schools - Eastview, Capilano, Ross road, Carisbrooke and .or Westview elementary? We have $ for their program.



RCMP -

  • Ask them about slow streets?