2021-06-03 Agenda

From committees
Revision as of 18:14, 3 June 2021 by imported>ErikaR (→‎General)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

HUB North Shore Committee regular meetings will be held online using Zoom, on the first Thursday of every month at 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Everybody is welcome.

Online conference call at https://zoom.us/j/98976249728?pwd=NE9BM1RUTjlScUp0c0VIbWFlMG5LUT09

By phone: call 778-907-2071, Meeting ID: 989 7624 9728, Passcode: 166390
One tap mobile: +17789072071,,98976249728#,,,,*166390#


  • Agenda additions
  • Introductions
  • Recruiting:
    • DNV Liaisons
    • Vice Chair
    • Wiki-Master
    • CNV liaison

Upcoming Events

  • Happy Go By Bike Week!! - May 31 to June 4 -
    • Online only, no celebrations stations

City of North Vancouver - Erika/Nadia

Esplanade Complete Street – Spring Engagement


  • On May 17, 2021, the City of North Vancouver and District of North Vancouver jointly announced their selection of Lime as the single operator for the E-Bike Share Permit. With this permit, Lime is set to launch an e-bike share service for a two-year pilot period beginning in summer 2021.
  • North Shore is planning to allow the legal use of privately owned e-scooters before introducing any shared program.
  • Zachary Mathurin is the North Shore Mobility Options Coordinator and is leading the roll out of e-bikes and e-scooters on the North Shore.

Kings Mill Walk master plan

  • Public consultation closed on May 31: https://letstalk.cnv.org/kmw-park-master-plan
  • The separated bike & pedestrians paths are a great improvement on the East and South sides, and it would be nice if the could do the same on the west, or at least widen the MUP.

West Grand Boulevard Safety Improvements

  • Public consultation now open – please provide your feedback!: https://letstalk.cnv.org/west-grand-boulevard
  • Since changes made last year (e.g. dedicating former northbound vehicle lane to bicycle + converting the former bike path to a pedestrian path), the northbound bike path within the park adjacent to West Grand Boulevard alone saw over 90,000 pedestrians trips in 2020 – in total, the park saw a 50% increase in trips from 2019.

ITC - Dana & Jonathan


District of North Vancouver - Fred/Don

  • Liaisons meeting regularly with Ingrid (DNV). Last meeting was Mar 30th.
    • discussed HUB Priorities and 2021 plans
    • Upper LV Road (Phase I) from TC to Peters Road in 2021. Expect DNV web site update soon for more information.
    • Peters to Dempsey planned for 2022 but may be included in Phase I. DNV expecting a lot of push back from community on upper LVR. Looking for HUB member support, especially from those living on this corridor.
    • Upper LVR improvements contingent on obtaining third party infrastructure funding. Assuming funding is successful it means the "DNV will be spending 50% of the transportation budget on active transportation according to Mayor Little."
    • The DNV will be expediting improvements to the Mountain Hwy corridor to Lynn Valley town centre to address cycling impediments. Awaiting details.
    • Liaisons requested road paving schedule. Paving section of LVR between Molly Nye to Mountain Hwy will depend on a sanitary sewer project on that route. Ingrid will share complete schedule. Possibly as soon as next week.
    • Bridge replacement over Mosquito Creek to eliminate steps is a Parks Board project (not a cycling amenity) and time frame is unknown. There is a narrow at grade crossing some metres downstream connecting to a gravel path, more suitable to trail bikes.

Mtn. Hwy to Peters Road

  • Currently in the design stage
  • HUB Liaisons have been asked to provide input
  • In general terms there will be a protected bike lane on both sides of Lynn Valley Rd as part of phase I. (Mountain Hwy to Peters Rd.)
  • Design looks promising, HUB provided feedback on intersections and signage
  • Will need to make sure that design meshes with plans for LV TC bike plans
  • Buffer posts on southern LVR will be installed by Valley Traffic. It is with a new base design.
  • LVR & Mtn Hwy intersection will get bike boxes with let down.

Arborlyn Connector

  • Draft designs for a MUP on east and west side of Mountain Hwy north of the overpass. DNV is in discussions internally as to whether both sides of the road be done simultaneously or the west side first as it is less complicated

Phibbs to Keith

  • Brought up issues with Orwell (poor lane condition). Phibbs will be done before Orwell will be addressed. At this point all that could be done at Orwell at this time would be brush cleaning. DNV was waiting for crushed road material (grindings) for pot holes. This work is now completed.
  • Travel by bike or on foot from Keith Rd. bridge to east Seymour via Fern Street Bridge is no more as this bridge has been demolished. The contractor has been slow to open travel over the new overpass connecting with Mt. Seymour Parkway. They seem to have no problem with workers parking their vehicles in their "work zones" while ignoring cycle access.

Capilano Rd/Highway Underpass MOTI project

  • Discussed, focused on the need to make sure project connects with Hugo Ray bike route.
  • The route improvements around the tennis court are not in the scope of work but MoTI thinks it could be funded by maintenance budget.


  • Need to ask about budget for missing Wayfinding signage
  • DNV did not buy bike path sweeper in 2020 due to COVID-19, but not sure if it is in the 2021 budget request.
  • Started discussion of adding protection to bike lanes on Mountain Highway south of the Hwy Overpass. DNV however is adverse to providing protection, pointing out that there are alternative safe routes when MoTI project is completed.

District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter/Mike

  • Don, Paul and Peter meeting with Jenn Moller and Andy Kwan on 28 May
    • Don presented relavent HUB North Shore recommendations to MoTI for improved cycling infrastructure on Hwy's 1 and 99.
    • There was a related discussion on the possibility of bike lanes on 2 section of Taylor Way one south and the other north of Marine Drive.
    • Due to a lack of staff time and having to hire a consultant, it looks like there will be a delay, possibly until next year, before we see any expansion of the existing slow street configuration on Bellevue between 18th and 31st Streets.
    • They are hoping to get some funding from the District's restart budget.
    • DWV plans to join the other two North Shore municipalities in the e-bike share program but it may not start in DWV until late July or early August.
    • A consultant has been engaged form Watt Consulting Group to conduct a review and update of the 2020 Strategic Transportation Plan and early consultations with District staff have begun. There may be a workshop in October and we can expect to be consulted as a stakeholder.
    • NXSTPP is proceeding although rapid transit is priority, followed by Lower Level Rd. which is apparently supported by the Squamish Nation. A report is expected in July on the Burrard Inlet Rapid Transit (BIRT)crossing.
    • The plans for a separated bike lane on the south side of Marine Drive are proceeding slowly with DWV still sorting out the scope of the design and the DNV planning to reconfigure the intersection of Marine Drive and Capilano Road.
    • Plans for bike lanes on Westmount Drive and down to 31st and Marine are proceeding but there is no date for implementation but there are budget funds for it this fiscal year. The intersection of 31st and Marine Drive and the connection to Proctor Ave. is part of a separate capital item.
    • Engineering will make necessary arrangements to participate in Family Cycling Day/Car Free Day sometime in September. An organizing committee is needed to set up this event and it hoped that Councillor Gambioli will help set it up with the ADBIA.
    • New info 1: planned sewer replacement on Marine Dr adjoining Park Royal N and west to 13th Street could create space for protected bike lane, which may enhance M2M concept.
    • New info 2, Crema coffee shop at 15th and Bellevue wants to have the bike parking corral moved so they can convert it to patio space. We suggested just move it to the next parking place to the east.
    • New info 3. New 'protected' bike lane on Royal Ave to be decommissioned. Dumb design to begin with.
    • Jenn has not yet been in contact with Rick Amantea so no follow up on a Spirit Trail bypass proposal.
  • Pedestrian/cyclist conflct on the busy part of the Spirit Trail MUP between Park Royal South and the Ambleside dog park.

MOTI - Don/Jonathan

  • Lower Lynn Interchanges - Monthly meeting - schedules have slipped.
    • Mountain Hwy Interchange
      • 4m MUP along the north side westbound Mtn Hwy offramp will have 10 "refuges", so the hill will be a series of 10m 15% pitches with 2m flats (refuge). Should open in Aug/Sep.
      • The maze-gate on MUP between the bridges has been removed - new marking are DONE???
    • Mt Seymour parkway/Keith Interchange
      • bike detour in place until August (to demolish old bridge and complete south side of new one)
      • New 4m wide MUP on side of Mt Seymour pkwy & 3m one on south side now open
    • Main-Dollarton interchange
      • onramp to IWMB west sidewalk closed until July (detour via east sidewalk)
      • new 4m MUP on south side of main-dollarton will open in July
      • new 4m MUP on north side of main-dollarton should open in June
    • Phibbs exchange upgrade
      • Construction could start in Fall at earlier
      • moving bus stops to Oxford & Main Street for duration of construction
  • BC Economic Recovery funding -
    • HUB provided feedback to design team (Parsons) on near final design of Lynn Valley Rd underpass and Capilano Rd interchange
    • have asked to see and share final designs
  • Lane Control upgrades on Lions Gate Bridge & Causeway
    • Initial meeting on 6-April -> work & closures in the summer
  • Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study: Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
    • Still waiting for draft report

Communications & Outreach - Heather/Antje/Giacomo/Paul


  • Communications = Paul, Antje, Giacomo, Heather
    • let us know if there is something we should communicate about - blocked bike lanes, new infrastructure, etc.
  • We are coordinating our approach to communications on groups.io, Facebook and Twitter
    • Facebook and Twitter have increased in terms of numbers of followers and numbers of original posts
    • Number of posts on FB up %169 | 200% increase in comments shares and likes.
    • Number of posts on Twitter up 104% followers up 30 for total of 1311
  • Targets:
    • double Facebook followers by Dec 2021 and add +300 to Twitter
    • Commitment to send out 2 google group emails per week
    • New North Van Rides episodes on Youtube - subscribe to Heather Drugge
  • Call for comms topix
  • Still looking for help with photos / videos

Developers - Fred/Paul & Peter

  • Currently active:
    • West Van
      • Marine Drive
    • CNV
      • Habourside
    • DNV
      • Maplewood
      • Lynn Creek TC
        • Interesting redevelopment at Marie Place (off Crown St east of Mtn Hwy) in the Lynn Creek town Centre. DNV council allowed it to go to first reading at March 29 /2021 council meeting. Eleven single family homes to be replaced by two 6 storey apartments. Unique to the plan is to provide bicycle parking facilities on each floor of both buildings. The same developer owns a large property to the west bordering Mountain Hwy which includes the Dykoff Nursery lands for which they are hoping to get council approval. Mayor Little commented that these projects need wider support from the community for council to consider them. Those who spoke in favour tended to have a business relationship. HUB NS is aware that without large scale redevelopment Lynn Creek will not see better cycling infrastructure. A HUB member presence might make a difference. The concept of locating bike rooms in upper floors is gaining traction.