2023-07-06 Agenda

From committees
Jump to navigation Jump to search

HUB North Shore Committee regular meetings are held on the first Thursday of every month at 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Everybody is welcome.

In-person at the North Vancouver City Library (14th/Lonsdale) in the Don Preston Boardroom (2nd floor).

Or Online, using Google Meets: https://meet.google.com/myr-xmnd-iob

or by Phone: +1 587-977-8033‬ PIN: ‪290 663 905‬#


  • Agenda additions
  • Introductions

Public Input/Consultations

  • Public input is critical when Council and Staff make trade-offs and decisions. Please make sure your voice is heard!!
  • Are there any currently open?
  • Cap Mall has a survey (open to July 12) asking for community feedback about the mall redevelopment. Please submit ideas for bike infrastructure. https://www.futureofcapmall.com

Goals & Objectives

  • Add Phase 2 top priority Bikeways - current Gaps Map
    • Liaisons to select a one or two for their municipality
  • Communications - any ideas??
  • Recruiting - Fill vacant positions
  • Ensure Cycling Priorities are in DWV's Transportation Strategy


  • Need a coordinator/organizer for events
  • Spring Go By Bike Week. - May 29th to June 4th
    • Thanks to Peter, Fiona, Will, Nicolas, Reuben and Paul J for helping out at this years celebration stations!!
  • Cargo Bike Race: Disaster Relief Trial (DRT)
    • Roland Schigas is chairing
    • Date provisionally planned for 26-Aug-2023
    • Volunteers = Duncan + Our Greenway (Sam Starr + Darnell) + Fiona + Jen

City of North Vancouver - Nadia/Sophia

CNV Key Contacts & Staff Meetings

  • Upcoming meeting

Laura at Pooni Group to discuss Capilano Mall redevelopment, July 11th

Summary of current/upcoming CNV projects - this year & beyond

  • Casano-Loutet Overpass/Midtown Connector
    • hoping to get permit to proceed in July, then start construction prep, there will be a re-engagement process. best case scenario, construction will start by the end of the year.
    • no update on the Midtown Connector
  • Cyclist fatality at 23rd and Lonsdale
    • The intersection ranked 18th, for volume of collisions on the North Shore during 2017-2021 period
    • immediate safety improvements, which include: Introduction of new, no right on red light restrictions implemented at the eastbound and westbound approaches; New green bike box markings in front of the eastbound and westbound stop bars; new single file operation at the intersection approaches. Longer term changes include introducing a Leading Pedestrian Interval (LPI) signal phase, signal phasing changes, and a fully protected off-road mobility lane on the north side of East 23rd Street, between Lonsdale Avenue and St Georges Avenue (delivered through the Harry Jerome Rec Centre project).
  • Upper Levels Greenway
    • discussions underway with MOTI to ensure they are on board with the proposed changes as 25th is currently the proposed route. This should allow for general mobility improvements around the Lonsdale/highway interchange area
  • 4th and Chesterfield
    • bike light and bump outs are currently being constructed
  • Chesterfield
    • we discussed the increased use of this as a bike lane and its current shortcomings. Anecdotal observations of increased bike use were shared and they agreed that this is a priority route. It should be completed in conjunction with or right after the midtown connector.
  • NVCL cargo bike initiative
    • on hold waiting for the NVDPL to get up and running

ITC - Dana & Jonathan

  • May meeting update (held May 3): we received an overview of CNV's zoning bylaw policy (for information purposes only). CNV will be overhauling their zoning bylaws in the coming months, which could have direct and indirect impacts on cycling infrastructure (e.g., bike storage requirements for new builds, encouraging more community amenities to reduce travel distances, etc.). Public engagement on their zoning policy is expected to start in early June.

District of North Vancouver - Duncan/Stephen/Don

  • Main St - Harbour Ave - Barrows
    • Sent Project Mgr (Ben) comments on updated design for Harbour Ave & Harbour-Main Intersection
      • Generally design is good, but we are pushing for better protection to be added for bikelane on Harbour.
    • DNV will be gathering Public Input (online) on the design in June. - still not started
  • DNV Library Cargo Bikes at Lynn Valley Library -Duncan (DW)
    • "Report back by staff" returned, for presentation at council 05-Jun: https://app.dnv.org/OpenDocument/Default.aspx?docNum=6020347
    • Staff do not recommend doing this pilot through the library due to insurance/liability risks
    • Staff present an alternative method of RFP, 3rd party contract - which if it proceeds will make the timetable 2024.

District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter/Mike

Paul, Peter, Mike Meeting with Jenn Moller and Sean O’Sullivan on 13 June

2023 Capital Projects:

  • Westmount Road:
    • Construction was paused pending the finalization of designs for the traffic circle.
    • Work will begin next week to replace the traffic circle with a T-intersection.
  • 31st Street Marine Drive Intersection improvement design phase:
    • Engineering drawings are expected by the fall of 2023 and construction is expected in the spring of 2024.
  • Marine Drive, 25th- 31st:
    • Painted lanes are completed 26th to 31st.
    • Signs and delineator installations to follow by the District workforce.
    • The section from 25th-26th is subject to consultation with frontage owners.
    • There will likely be a bike lane westbound only and sharrows eastbound (w/parking).
    • Staff will look into the transition for cyclists between the 2400 and 2500 blocks of Marine Drive.
  • Marine Drive, Lions Gate Bridgehead to DWV/DNV Boundary (eastbound):
    • 80% of the design has been done but the curb lane needs to be narrowed from 3.7 m to 3.3 m.
    • There will be 20 cm wide delineators separating the bike lane from automobile traffic instead of 40 cm concrete barriers.
    • The final design is pending MoTI approval with construction expected in 2024 to be coordinated by DNV.
  • Hugo Ray to Westcot (MUP):
    • MoTI is reviewing Hwy 1/Taylor Way interchange capacity (queue lengths).
    • A 2-way MUP is likely to be adjacent to the north-side off-ramp.
    • Community consultation may be needed.
  • ‘Safe Street’ Zones:
    • Jenn plans a 10 July presentation to council.
    • A blanket 30km/h restriction is ‘not justified’ as surveys apparently do not reveal excessive vehicle speeds in local neighbourhoods (85th percentile 42km/h).
    • There has been no change in speeds on Bellevue (18th to 25th) since the 30 km/h signage was introduced.
    • DWV Police are not supportive.
    • Deviations on Bellevue are to be explored.
  • Cycling network improvements:
    • Priorities are to be determined by actual hazards.
    • A comprehensive review of school access is underway.


  • Local Area Plans (LAPs):
    • Ambleside LAP: A draft is expected to go to Council on 24 July, so could be approved in the fall of 2023.
    • Traffic consultants will be engaged.
    • Suggested HUB inputs: designate AAA routes; adopt slow street/complete street concept; and incorporate a Marine-to-Main arterial bikeway.
    • Taylor Way LAP (2024 delivery):
      • It is a complex project involving MoTI, Translink, Squamish Nation, and Park Royal leaseholders.
      • A ‘Phibbs Exchange’-type facility may be incorporated at Park Royal North.
      • Accommodating Burrard Rapid Transit (BRT) and the Squamish Nation's plan for a Low-Level Road crossing of the Capilano River will need to be considered.
  • Spirit Trail:
    • CN Rail Underpass bypass: We will likely need to await Park Royal/Squamish Nation lease renewal agreement which expires in 2026.
    • Regarding extending the Spirit Trail west to 25th, Sean mentioned that one-way traffic would be one possibility to make it safer for cyclists on Bellevue.
  • DWV Mobility Plan: Scoping is still underway awaiting Environment Manager, Heather Keith’s update to the Community Energy and Emissions Plan which is expected soon.

Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure - Mike/Don

  • Blind spot where Orwell trail meets MSP-Keith Rd overpass MUP
    • MoTI has painted stop line & warnings, checking if signage is to follow.
  • Phibbs Exchange
    • Phase 1 just started (complete by May-2023?)
      • Detours with signage in place. The connection between Orwell and south side of main is a long ugly detour via Mtn Highway, or ride with traffic on the off-ramp. They will try to improve this in month or so if they can widen the off-ramp once they move some utilities.
    • Phase 2 will start after Phase 1 and finish in late 2024. Detours should be much better for this phase.

Communications & Outreach - Rueben/Paul/Heather

  • Facebook(Heather)

Schools - Paul Janzen

  • Canyon Heights, Lynnmour, Braemar done so far.
  • Irwin Park in West Van last week. Funds came from MOTI ERG 4/5 program.
  • MOTI funding is sometimes used for anomaly areas such as White Rock, UBC, Bowen Island.

Group Rides - Who?

  • Need an Organizer/coordinator
    • also qualified Leads& Sweeps
  • Why - Objectives
    • HUB Evaluation rides
      • with Municipal staff & council along to show problems
      • use Lime or bike shop e-bikes loaners
    • Exploration rides
      • group from committee finding possible routes
    • Membership rides
      • familiarization people with safe routes on the north shore
  • Destinations:
    • Welch St bridge to Dundarave
    • Maplewoods, Dollarton, Orwell, Lower Mtn Hwy, Brooksbank, Keith, MSP, Riverside loop
    • Spirit Trail east of Seymour route - Will

Developers - Fred, Paul & Peter

  • Currently active:
    • West Van
      • Any????
    • CNV
      • Capilano Mall
    • DNV
      • Lynn Valley Safeway
      • Maplewoods Garden (SE of Old Dollarton & Riverside)

Social (Beer!!)

  • Jack Lonsdale, after the meeting
    • Any and all are welcome - whether at the Library or online!