HUB North Shore Committee regular meetings will be held online using Zoom, on the first Thursday of every month at 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Everybody is welcome.
Online conference call at https://zoom.us/j/98976249728?pwd=NE9BM1RUTjlScUp0c0VIbWFlMG5LUT09
By phone: call 778-907-2071, Meeting ID: 989 7624 9728, Passcode: 166390
One tap mobile: +17789072071,,98976249728#,,,,*166390#
- Agenda additions
- DNV Liaisons
- Vice Chair
- CNV liaison
- Public Input/Consultations:
- Public input is critical when Council and Staff make trade-offs and decisions. Please make sure your voice is heard!!
- CNV - West Grand Blvd
- DNV - OCP Targetted Review - Transportation is a key portion
- Happy Go By Bike Week!! - May 31 to June 4 -
- Online only, no celebrations stations
City of North Vancouver - Erika/Nadia
CNV Teams & Key Contacts
- HUB’s primary contact: Brandon Green
- Transportation Planning
- Manager: Andrew Devlin
- Other contact: Daniel Watson, Transportation Planner
- Long term planning, policy
- Example projects: e-bike pilot, Safe Routes to School, Ridgeway School Zone Safety
- Traffic Engineering
- Manager: Kliment Kuzmanovski:
- Other contact: Brandon Green, Transportation Engineer
- Specific safety concerns, Signalling, signage, pavement markings, etc.
- Public Realm Infrastructure
- Manager: Justin Hall
- Other contacts: Mo Bot, Project Manager (Esplanade) / Christel Lindgren, Planner (St Andrews)
- Major infrastructure projects, sidewalk related work
- Example projects: St Andrews, Esplanade
- Integrated Transportation Committee: advises Council and City staff on transportation policy, planning and mobility issues within the CNV. Focus on active transportation, transit and the integration of all modes of transportation. Looks at all transportation-related projects. Council rep: Tony Valente.
- Zach Mathurin is the North Shore Mobility Options Coordinator and is leading the roll out of e-bikes and e-scooters on the North Shore.
- Lime e-bike pilot launched on July 26; slow roll-out to reach 200 bikes over the next few weeks; need to download the Lime app to locate and purchase rides; currently only operating in CNV & DNV, but aiming for DWV in August.
- Role for HUB: promote/share through our social media channels.
Kings Mill Walk master plan
- Revised design: https://letstalk.cnv.org/kingsmill
- Separated pedestrian and cyclist paths all along the south and east sides; keeping the MUP on the west.
- Very conceptual design right now; BCATDG guidelines for width will be the target.
- Harbourside protected bike route (south side).
St Andrews Safety Improvements
- Proposed design: https://letstalk.cnv.org/st-andrews-safety-improvements-project
- Uphill mobility lane, cyclists protected behind parked cars, sharing on the downhill
- Pavement marking and delineators; simple to adjust if needed post-evaluation
- On bike master plan, though not identified as a priority corridor in the mobility strategy.
- Aiming to proceed with updates later this year; waiting on paint availability.
- Considered other options (e.g. shifting curb, median) but ruled out because too costly.
- No specific projects at this time, dependent on the Lonsdale interchange.
- Documented in the master plan.
West 3rd at Forbes
- Intersection upgrade will be tied to a sidewalk project that goes through the Squamish Nation up to Keith.
- Commencing engagement with the Nation week of July 26.
- Aiming to complete all upgrades (sidewalk + intersection) by the end of 2022.
- Keith/Heywood: work has been approved, paint is on the road, and delineators expected this week or next.
- Other areas have been identified through some work with Urban Systems (e.g. Chesterfield/Esplanade).
ITC - Dana & Jonathan
- ANY UPDATES?
District of North Vancouver - Fred/Don
- Liaisons meeting regularly with Ingrid (DNV). Last meeting was Mar 30th.
- discussed HUB Priorities and 2021 plans
- Upper LV Road (Phase I) from TC to Peters Road in 2021. Expect DNV web site update soon for more information.
- Peters to Dempsey planned for 2022 but may be included in Phase I. DNV expecting a lot of push back from community on upper LVR. Looking for HUB member support, especially from those living on this corridor.
- Upper LVR improvements contingent on obtaining third party infrastructure funding. Assuming funding is successful it means the "DNV will be spending 50% of the transportation budget on active transportation according to Mayor Little."
- The DNV will be expediting improvements to the Mountain Hwy corridor to Lynn Valley town centre to address cycling impediments. Awaiting details.
- Liaisons requested road paving schedule. Paving section of LVR between Molly Nye to Mountain Hwy will depend on a sanitary sewer project on that route. Ingrid will share complete schedule. Possibly as soon as next week.
- Bridge replacement over Mosquito Creek to eliminate steps is a Parks Board project (not a cycling amenity) and time frame is unknown. There is a narrow at grade crossing some metres downstream connecting to a gravel path, more suitable to trail bikes.
Mtn. Hwy to Peters Road
- Currently in the design stage
- HUB Liaisons have been asked to provide input
- In general terms there will be a protected bike lane on both sides of Lynn Valley Rd as part of phase I. (Mountain Hwy to Peters Rd.)
- Design looks promising, HUB provided feedback on intersections and signage
- Will need to make sure that design meshes with plans for LV TC bike plans
- Buffer posts on southern LVR will be installed by Valley Traffic. It is with a new base design.
- LVR & Mtn Hwy intersection will get bike boxes with let down.
- Draft designs for a MUP on east and west side of Mountain Hwy north of the overpass. DNV is in discussions internally as to whether both sides of the road be done simultaneously or the west side first as it is less complicated
Phibbs to Keith
- Brought up issues with Orwell (poor lane condition). Phibbs will be done before Orwell will be addressed. At this point all that could be done at Orwell at this time would be brush cleaning. DNV was waiting for crushed road material (grindings) for pot holes. This work is now completed.
- Travel by bike or on foot from Keith Rd. bridge to east Seymour via Fern Street Bridge is no more as this bridge has been demolished. The contractor has been slow to open travel over the new overpass connecting with Mt. Seymour Parkway. They seem to have no problem with workers parking their vehicles in their "work zones" while ignoring cycle access.
Capilano Rd/Highway Underpass MOTI project
- Discussed, focused on the need to make sure project connects with Hugo Ray bike route.
- The route improvements around the tennis court are not in the scope of work but MoTI thinks it could be funded by maintenance budget.
- Need to ask about budget for missing Wayfinding signage
- DNV did not buy bike path sweeper in 2020 due to COVID-19, but not sure if it is in the 2021 budget request.
- Started discussion of adding protection to bike lanes on Mountain Highway south of the Hwy Overpass. DNV however is adverse to providing protection, pointing out that there are alternative safe routes when MoTI project is completed.
District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter/Mike
District of West Vancouver (Peter)
- Plans for bike lanes on Westmount Road
- A HUB letter has been sent supporting a DWV grant application for funds to implement the plans.
- We have received from the District for comments copies of the engineering drawings for the project which covers the route from Hwy 1 to Marine Drive.
- The District already has obtained funding for the intersection of the route at 31st and Marine Drive.
- Bike to Shop Day on Saturday 7 August 1200 -1400 at park Royal South
- Peter and Don will assist at the HUB station to be located at Park Royal South.
- Peter picked up flyers from the HUB office and distributed some to Park Royal businesses to encourage them to participate.
- West Vancouver Active Family Day on Sunday, 26 September
- It is planned to close Bellevue and Argyle Avenues between 14th and 16th Street to automobile traffic during the morning.
- The North Shore Traffic Safety council will run bike rodeo on a one half block of 15th Street immediately north of Bellevue Avenue.
- HUB North Shore plans to have a tent just east of the Ferry building and lead guided bike tours from there on a route through Ambleside and Dundarave that will be one the proposed extensions of the existing slow street on Bellevue Avenue between 18th and 25th Streets.
- A map of this proposed slow street extension along with three other proposed slow street routes has been provided to DWV Transportation Department staff.
MOTI - Don/Jonathan
- Lower Lynn Interchanges - Monthly meeting - schedules continue to slip.
- Mountain Hwy Interchange
- 4m MUP along the north side westbound Mtn Hwy offramp will have 10 "refuges", so the hill will be a series of 10m 15% pitches with 2m flats (refuge). Should open in Aug/Sep.
- Mt Seymour parkway/Keith Interchange
- bike detour in place until August (to demolish old bridge and complete south side of new one)
- New 4m wide MUP on side of Mt Seymour pkwy & 3m one on south side now open
- Main-Dollarton interchange
- onramp to IWMB west sidewalk closed until Nov (detour via east sidewalk)
- new 4m MUP on south side of main-dollarton open but unfinished,
- New wider(was 2m, new 4m) island at East intersection is under construction
- new 4m MUP on north side of main-dollarton should open in June
- new tunnel access should be starting soon. - requesting info on detours
- Phibbs exchange upgrade
- Construction could start in spring 2022 at earliest
- moving bus stops to Oxford & Main Street for duration of construction
- Mountain Hwy Interchange
- Cycling Gaps project
- Don to check where they are with this.
- BC Economic Recovery funding -
- HUB provided feedback to design team (Parsons) on near final design of Lynn Valley Rd underpass and Capilano Rd interchange
- have asked to see and share final designs - need to ask again.
- Lane Control upgrades on Lions Gate Bridge & Causeway
- Minimal impact on cyclists, most of the work will be at night and won't block the path.
- Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study: Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
- Still waiting for draft report - Don to ask yet again.
Communications & Outreach - Heather/Antje/Giacomo/Paul
- Communications = Paul, Antje, Giacomo, Heather
- let us know if there is something we should communicate about - blocked bike lanes, new infrastructure, etc.
- We are coordinating our approach to communications on groups.io, Facebook and Twitter
- Facebook and Twitter have increased in terms of numbers of followers and numbers of original posts
- Number of posts on FB up %169 | 200% increase in comments shares and likes.
- Number of posts on Twitter up 104% followers up 30 for total of 1311
- double Facebook followers by Dec 2021 and add +300 to Twitter
- Commitment to send out 2 google group emails per week
- New North Van Rides episodes on Youtube - subscribe to Heather Drugge
- Call for comms topix
- Still looking for help with photos / videos
Developers - Fred/Paul & Peter
- Currently active:
- West Van
- Marine Drive
- Lynn Creek TC
- Interesting redevelopment at Marie Place (off Crown St east of Mtn Hwy) in the Lynn Creek town Centre. DNV council allowed it to go to first reading at March 29 /2021 council meeting. Eleven single family homes to be replaced by two 6 storey apartments. Unique to the plan is to provide bicycle parking facilities on each floor of both buildings. The same developer owns a large property to the west bordering Mountain Hwy which includes the Dykoff Nursery lands for which they are hoping to get council approval. Mayor Little commented that these projects need wider support from the community for council to consider them. Those who spoke in favour tended to have a business relationship. HUB NS is aware that without large scale redevelopment Lynn Creek will not see better cycling infrastructure. A HUB member presence might make a difference. The concept of locating bike rooms in upper floors is gaining traction.
- West Van
- Secure bike parking at Lonsdale Quay