June 2020

From committees
Revision as of 19:58, 2 June 2020 by Watgringo (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

In Attendance

  1. Andrew H.
  2. Dragana R.
  3. Kathryn B.
  4. Vince H.
  5. Leon L.

Mission reflection

HUB's mission is to get more people cycling more often. Andrew has updated the home page of the Tricities local HUB Committee to include gaps, goals, priorities.

Committee priorities reflection (no particular order of importance)

  1. Improve our relationships with municipalities.
  2. Improve committee focus.
  3. Improve our visibility in the community.

Andrew has an idea on how we as a committee can track action items:

Create a checklist online (Google docs) for tracking items This will help us to monitor our progress Can update on a monthly basis Can have something to show for it at the end of the year We can have monthly action items that can be assigned to people so they can be responsible for them

COVID check-in

We are all tired of COVID!

Andrew has been cycling less lately due to COVID and not having a daily commute.

20 in 20 update: It's on!

Andrew got an email from Evan Hammer to let him know that 20 in 20 is on

This is one of Colleen’s areas of interest

Andrew shared the email with folks on the committee who did not receive it yet

Slow Streets update: No action since last meeting, let's do something

Vince said at last month's meeting that he would take it on, but he does not recall volunteering...

Dragana interested in Slow Streets; she sees a lot more people out lately on bikes in the Burquitlam area

Bikes are hard to get in stores right now!

Dragana sent an email to City of Coquitlam about slow streets; they said that they didn’t see enough people out and about to make it worthwhile

From the email response, it seems that the City of Coquitlam seems to want to keep people in parks, not on the street

City will keep her updated

Mayor Stewart gave similar messaging when he was at the HUB meeting in early May

Andrew to forward response to Slow Street request to HUB Coquitlam contact

Andrew: PoMo not that enthusiastic about Slow Streets

Murray Street from Firehall to Rocky Point park would be a great Slow Street

Social distancing is starting to slow, so not sure how much traction we will get from this

Port Moody updates

a) "Evergreen Bikeway" gap (Murray overpass out to Barnet Highway)

This gap now has a sponsor, some movement from the City

Andrew knows the person who adopted this gap – this is the worst part of both of their daily commutes & they go all the way to downtown Vancouver

Progress on gap has been on and off again at the City; some talk of reallocating lane on Murray Street but reconsidered because of concern over future need to move cars

Now they are thinking of taking the space for bikes again

Andrew estimates next 4-5 years before we see anything happen

Child hit by car there a few months ago

b) News: Mark Halpin left PoMo :-(

Mark was the main Transportation Engineer in PoMo and was good to work with

Mark contacted Andrew over LinkedIn so will keep connected that way

Gatensbury: Not connected to anything of use; not a safe way for families to ride down to Rocky Point in Port Moody

Action plan update. Can we submit this thing already?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VRhyjv56GyRwnjdd64PWEV_K_ywDsJ0sP2BX4LM_lHE/edit#heading=h.3g1z54t8gcv

PoCo liaison: Leave as TBD

Include more ‘hardcore’ groups in the planning, e.g.:

  1. Tri-Cities Cycling
  2. BVC
  3. Escape Velocity
  4. BC Randonneurs

Action item: Andrew to send in action plan to HUB.

Other items:

Cycling Maps

Dragana has provided online maps about current and proposed cycling routes in the Tricities

She reached out to the cities to get data/information on the routes for this map

Coquitlam helpful (Aaron Dixon was great)

Port Moody: Dragana asked if okay to reach out to Andrew’s contact for information

Tricities cycling map has a lot of blue routes; recommended by cyclists but not the designated routes

HUB was not a part of putting these routes together

Sending letters to City:

Vince: Had a question about sending letters as we assigned last meeting

Is there a template letter?

Who should the letters go to?

Should all of the issues go into one letter, or send separate letters?

Andrew: There is HUB stationary so we can sign letter as representative of HUB

Letter needs to be sent to main HUB and they will edit/approve

Typically do it as a Google doc

Action item: Andrew to share templates/information about writing letters as citizen and as a HUB representative

Dragana to be a liaison for the Tricities Off-Road Cycling Association

Meeting adjourned 7:21 p.m.

Next meeting July 7, 6:30 p.m.

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox