Meeting Summary; July 5, 2012

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 17: Line 17:
 
       the remedial measures and Heather offered to draft the letter.   
 
       the remedial measures and Heather offered to draft the letter.   
 
* Planned cycling infrastructure improvements at Park Royal (Rick Amantea)
 
* Planned cycling infrastructure improvements at Park Royal (Rick Amantea)
    - bridge at least two years away - current car bridge is owned by park royal - group ride set for 0900 on Wednesday under the the bridge on 11 july - Mark will bring a bike for rick whom we will meet at 1000
+
    - Rick passed out a 4-page package of plans showing various aspects of the planned developments for Park Royal South, espcially improved access by foot bike and bus.
 +
    - He mentioned that bridge over the Capilano River is owned and maintained by Park Royal and that the plans for a pedestrian/bicycle crossing are still in the design stage and it will likely
 +
      be two years before it is completed. Some issues to be resolved are whether the existing bridge can be widened to accommodate pedestrians and cyclists or whether a separate bridge is needed which
 +
      would require renegotiating a lease with the Squamish Nationt and resolving land owner ship of the RV park.
 +
    - We expressed our concern about the safety for cyclistst crossing the existing bridge and he is working with the Sistrict of west van on solution ilcuding a signed bypass route over the new
 +
      westbound bridge over the capilanoi river.
 +
at least two years away - current car bridge is owned by park royal - group ride set for 0900 on Wednesday under the the bridge on 11 july - Mark will bring a bike for rick whom we will meet at 1000
 
* Low Level Road update (Heather)
 
* Low Level Road update (Heather)
 
* East Keith Road update (Antje)- will draft a letter from HUB to DNV
 
* East Keith Road update (Antje)- will draft a letter from HUB to DNV

Revision as of 08:15, 6 July 2012

'Attendance

  • Peter, Fiona, Antje, Dianne, Rick Amantea (Vice President - Park Royal Shopping Centre, Craig Cameron (West Van Councillor), Ron Adams, Heather, John Garrat, Mark and Dorta Ergetowski

Agenda Items

    - Due to a lengthy discussion on two infrastructure items, it was not possible to address all of the items on the agenda so some will be referred to the next meeting which will not occur until
      6 September as it was decided to cancel the 1 August monthly meeting because too many of the regular participants will be absent.

Infrastructure

  • Sea-to-Sky cycling safety report meeting (Fiona)
    - Fiona attended the afternoon meeting held in this room yesterday afternoon (4 July) in which the SFU team presented the final results of their study on bicycle safety issues on the Sea-to-Sky highway
      from Horseshoe Bay to Whistler. It was mostly politicians at the meeting including MP John Weston , MLA Joan McIntyre, Federal Minister of State (Sport),Bal Gosal,  a rep from MoT and the man 
      in charge of organizing the 2012 GranFondo.
    - Fiona brought a digital copy of the report which was displayed and she led us through it. The report is too large a file to put on our wiki site so it was suggested that 
      we put a link to it as it is apparently on an SFU website. The report recommended a number of remedial measures be undertaken to improve safety on the highway and estimated the cost 
      to be just over $100,000. 
    - It was suggested that it would appropriate for John Weston's Cycling Steering Committee discuss and follow up on this report. Also that we write a letter to MoT urging then to undertake 
      the remedial measures and Heather offered to draft the letter.  
  • Planned cycling infrastructure improvements at Park Royal (Rick Amantea)
    - Rick passed out a 4-page package of plans showing various aspects of the planned developments for Park Royal South, espcially improved access by foot bike and bus.
    - He mentioned that bridge over the Capilano River is owned and maintained by Park Royal and that the plans for a pedestrian/bicycle crossing are still in the design stage and it will likely 
      be two years before it is completed. Some issues to be resolved are whether the existing bridge can be widened to accommodate pedestrians and cyclists or whether a separate bridge is needed which 
      would require renegotiating a lease with the Squamish Nationt and resolving land owner ship of the RV park.
    - We expressed our concern about the safety for cyclistst crossing the existing bridge and he is working with the Sistrict of west van on solution ilcuding a signed bypass route over the new
      westbound bridge over the capilanoi river.

at least two years away - current car bridge is owned by park royal - group ride set for 0900 on Wednesday under the the bridge on 11 july - Mark will bring a bike for rick whom we will meet at 1000

  • Low Level Road update (Heather)
  • East Keith Road update (Antje)- will draft a letter from HUB to DNV
  • Lower Lynn Town Centre cycling facilities - Antje at an open house
  • West Van Cycling Network Implementation Plan - June 2012 (Peter)
    - Donna Howes presented it to West Van council meeting on 25 June and it was accepted.
    - Councillor Nora Gambioli, who attended a couple of our technical committee meetings, very astutely commented that waiting for funding ($40,000) to be included in the 2013 budget before any work
      is done is awfully slow. Raymond Fung, Director of Engineering and Transportation, said they would look for opportunities to get some of the Phase 1 work done under this current year's budget.


Other Business

Personal tools