Meeting Summary: September 6, 2012
From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Welcome new members and guests; Dianne, Peter, Antje, Nelson Lacharity
Education & Outreach
NS bike map distribution status (Antje)
- almost all gone a few hundred left, City of NV has two boxes, North Shore Tourism has some and may contribute to printing costs of next edition but want mountain bike trails on the map
- Bicycle Sports Pacific wants more so did Vancouver Library
- we should try for a reprinting before next year and in partnership to reduce costs - MEC, NS municipalities, GranFondo are potential contributors.
Cycling safety petition to North Van District Council (Antje)
- pedestrian safety an issue as well
- 800 signed so far mostly from NV
- present to DNV council on 10 Sep
HUB delegation to North Van District council meeting
- Nelson will try to get a date for a delegation presentation and Jay or, if he is away, somebody else will give the presentation
- a general introduction to HUB-NS focusing on improving cycling infrastructure with some recommended priority actions
- the Events section on this site has some examples of previous presentation in which the wiki was used to display slides
Park Royal update (Peter)
- A HUB-NS group ride on 11 July was followed by another one on 17 July with reps from HUB-NS, Park Royal and the District of West Van and finally a meeting on 10 August withPark Royal VP, Rick Amantea, WV Councillor, Craig Cameron, and engineer, Mark, who is a cyclist and very sympathetic to cyclist's need. There seemed to be general agreement to proceed with plans that we had proposed focusing first on the three major access points: the bridge across the Capilano River; the connection to the Spirit Trail in mid Park Royal South and the western end where there is a bridge across a creek from the playing fields. They liked the idea of painted green lanes to show that Park Royal is bicycle friendly. The current plan now is to widen the bridge across the Capilano River with a wide multi-purpose path on its north side. Work would not start on this until next Aug/Sep at the earliest, and maybe not until the following Aug/Sep.
- For more details, refer to Hot Spot item: http://northshore.bikehub.ca/index.php/Hot_Spots#Park_Royal_-_Proposed_Cycling_Infrastructure_Plans.
West Van implementation plan update (Peter)
- Peter talked with DWV transportation engineer, Norm Wong, for a half hour this afternoon.
- Bellevue Avenue has been paved between 20-24 Streets and bike route signage in both directions is planned for this fall all along Bellevue
- There is a new crosswalk on the east side of the Park Royal bridge over the Capilano River and a refuge island is being contemplated as well as a bike box on the west end of the bridge.
- some signage and other improvements are being made on the Spirit Trail at its junction with Capilano Road
- The new level crossing at Park Royal and Marine Drive has been paved. The project with traffic signals installed and operating should be completed by the end of October
East Keith Road update (Antje)
- some councillors are still resisting the proposed bike lanes despite recommendations from staff and from an independent report