Meeting Summary: May 11, 2017

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Jump to: navigation, search
  • Introductions:Tom, Peter T, Peter S, Fred, Tony (chair), Fiona, Antje, Erica
  • Events - volunteers needed! http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/5/5f/2017_Events_overview.docx
    • Recap:
      • City National Bank (CNB) Earth Day - April 22 - It was wet but they provided a tent 22 – CNB would like to have us at another event in the future.
      • MEC Bike Day - April 29th - it was dry for first half - well attended but like preaching to the converted.
    • Next:
      • Bike to Work Week - May 29th BTWW station date approved, North East side IWMB - fred will bring tent and equipment to IWMB for 1600-1800.
      • Bike to School Week - May 29 - June 2 - a BTSW station at Petro-Canada Lynn Valley.
      • Bike Day in Canada - June 1 - 4-6pm
        • conflicts with BTWW at LGB.
        • Tom will provide insurance for the event as well as doing bike rodeo which is now called a bike safety and skills course – he needs help.
        • There will be a group ride from Lynn Valley arriving at 4:30 in time for photos and start of 3 and 10 km bike rides.
        • Fiona needs leaders and sweepers - Peter S will lead 3 km ride.
        • Refreshment are being provided thanks to a grant from the Vancouver Foundation.
        • Erika made posters – Fiona will send them out on internet and will hand deliver some.
        • Eventbrite will be used for registration.
        • Peter S to to invite WV councillors.
      • Gleneagles Cycle Fest - 27 May 2017 - Tom to be there with bike rodeo and Fred will bring HUB-NS tent and equipment.
      • West Van Bike to Shop Days July 21-23 - Paul and Peter will lead a ride from Vancouver to Ambleside between 11-12 am on Saturday 22 July.
  • May 9 Provincial Election - active transportation was promoted - Dianne talked to all candidates meetings from Seymour to Whistler.
  • Meeting with Lionsview Seniors Planning Society - letter received thanking Peter S for attending their January meeting: http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/5/5f/HUB_ltrApril_12.docx.
  • Province / MoTI - April 20th Meeting Progress Update
    • There was a positive response to the Bike Highway concept (http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/d/dd/BikeHighway2017-Spring.pdf.
    • There is federal money for twinning the highway and they will redo Fern St overpass and put a in a tunnel that could be later used for bike highway.
    • It is planned to have bikes go down Seymour Blvd to get to IWMB – not perfect but still an improvement - they need to negotiate with Squamish Nation to finalize plans.
    • There is a plan at north end of IWMB to improve paths for cyclists exiting and entering onto the bridge – it will be in phase 3 2020 – lots could still change.
    • They are still at the preliminary design stage, so we have time for more input to get bicycle lane separation.
  • City of North Vancouver
    • Harry Jerome Community Centre Update - On Monday April 10, Council directed staff to seek public feedback on two options for a new Harry Jerome Community Centre. Opportunities to learn more and provide feedback include: May 3 | Open House @ City Hall, May 10 | Open House @ HJCC, May 15 | Special Council Meeting, May 16 | Town Hall Meeting
      • Tony went to a budget planning meeting last night about the new Harry Jerome centre and senior centre.
      • We should lobby for bike parking and be able to ride up to the entrance and suggest putting cameras where there is bike parking.
      • Tony suggested a greenway with a bike lane along Lonsdale - potential for active transportation right through the facility.
      • It is early in the design phase with different design boxes, so we sill have an opportunity to input more detail as plans evolve.
    • McKay Creek dikes & cycling facilities
      • Planned dikes are on east and west sides -stream keepers are working with city because it is a salmon stream.
      • Antje met with stream keepers and the city will move bridge further south.
      • City to keep bike lane and sharrow on Mackay Road and 4 m MUB on top of the east dike.
      • We suggest a separated bike lane and narrower dike which the stream keepers will appreciate because less trees will need to be cut down.
      • A dyke with MUP on the west side is planned too and move the creek westward.
      • It is planned to replace the Marine Drive bridge and existing small culvert at 1st Street as well.
  • District of North Vancouver
  • West Vancouver
    • Proposed HUB delegation to DWV Council now planned for 24 July.
    • Peter S suggested that we propose a HUB-NS vision for a separated bike lane from the Spirit Trail at 13th and Argyle to the north end of the Lions Gate Bridge.
      • He will draft a letter to the mayor and council with the proposal and it will include a drawing of the route.
    • He suggested that this would be an opportune time to do this as our input to the District's OCP-related Marine Drive and Ambleside Town Centre Local Area Plan.
      • On 5 June, there will be a public hearing on the Marine Drive Local Area Plan bylaw, so we could submit our letter to the mayor and council before that date and present our proposal at the public hearing.
  • City of Vancouver releases new guidelines for AAA bike routes: http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/design-guidelines-for-all-ages-and-abilities-cycling-routes.pdf
Personal tools