Meeting Summary: March 9, 2017

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Jump to: navigation, search
  • Introductions:Stephanie, Morgan, Lyle, Riane, (all four from Lynn Valley) Fred, Tony (chair), Peter S, Peter T, Don P, Fiona, Erika
  • Events - Don explained why we should talk to people who are interested but not active in cycling and then led a discussion on the following upcoming events for 2017:
    • MEC Bike Day - April 29th – we have an invite and there is an excellent audience.
    • Bike Day in Canada on Thursday 1 June – Fiona will organize it.
    • Bike to Work Week - May 29th to June 4th 2017 - propose a BTWW station on 29 May at the east side of IWMB in the afternoon - other possibilities are a morning station at Barrow St connector and the south of MEC
    • Bike to School Week - we need HUB poster at least two weeks before the event - get police on bikes to visit schools - contact Carol Sartor from Haste - Could HUB provide a kit with info that we could send to school PACs and DPAC?
    • West Vancouver Community Day on Saturday, June 3 - debatable whether we should participate.
    • Blueridge Good Neighbor Day (BGND) is an annual community celebration that starts with a parade - we participated last year and this year it is on 4 June.
    • Lynn Valley Day on 17 June - We will do with a booth - Lynn Valley won the bike to school award.
    • Gleneagles Bike Fest - 27 May 2017 - we have been invited - We should participate and perhaps can share our tent with the WV seniors cycle group as we did last year.
    • West Van Bike to Shop Days July 21-23 - Peter S and Paul have volunteered to lead a ride from Vancouver.
    • Harmony Arts Festival in August - it was suggested that we could partner with BEST for bike valley service (Dianne is a contact as she sometimes helps with bike valet).
    • Car Free day aka Happy City Day - costly but worthwhile.
    • Deep Cove Day - Don will try to get a lower entry price.
    • Coho Festival was great last year with lots of action at our tent but there is may be an entry price.
    • Sunrise Bike Ride next steps - Tony will coordinate routes and day for timing with DWV / CNV / DNV - might have it on Canada Day?
    • Other possible events could be the summer shipyard events and the – night market event every week during the summer.
    • Events List is at: http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/b/ba/Possible_Events_2017.docx
  • Hwy 1 - Lower Lynn Improvements open house recap
    • Bike Highway Concept and MLA Meeting (Friday March 3, 2017) - MLA said to meet with Jay Porter and next meeting with him will be on 10 April.
    • Morgan says the major gap is a connection from the interchange into Lynn Valley which is a DNV responsibility.
    • Riane is concerned about the plans for coming off the interchange - no bike lane on the north off-ramp up to Mountain Highway.
    • Public comments are open until this weekend.
    • phase 4 could occur before phase 3, so DNV needs to get involved and we need to follow up with them.
    • There is problem with cleaning separated bike lanes - special equipment is needed and could be shared.
    • We are encouraging green paint and flashing lights in conflict areas.
    • Metro Van has a sewer facilities nearby.
    • Jay Porter said there is 17 million for bike infrastructure.
    • It would be good to get Jay Porter out on a bike – possibly include him on a a group ride.
    • Antje could elaborate more on the project.
    • see Tony's cycle highway presentation slides at:http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/2/26/BikeHighway2017-ER.pdf
  • City of North Vancouver
    • Loutet-Casano Overpass open house Mar 2
      • Fiona was there and it won't be done for 2 years out.
      • Adam from DNV is the public consultation rep and Lisa Parker will be project manager.
    • 100m bridge with a max 7% grade but level at intersections and has a gentle curve.
      • 5.5 million cost - 4 m wide – will be lighting – is a catchment area for Sutherland school.
      • Not yet decided whether there will be packed gravel at the approaches or pavement.
      • There was discussion about routes into Lynn Valley from the south which would be desirable.
    • Moodyville Park open house was on March 8 - bike infrastructure will be included.
    • Green Necklace Jones to Lonsdale open house Mar 9 - Peter S and Fiona attended - like separated bike lane option from Jones to Mahon but 3m width for the remainder is too narrow.
  • District of North Vancouver
    • Council workshop on bike network end of March - lets get as many out as possible – will talk about bike master plan and protected bike lanes.
    • Mountain Highway Interchange cycling wayfinding plan - complicated but antje has been the lead in providing comments.
    • We will meet regularly with MoTI re: interchanges and cycle highway.
  • West Vancouver
    • Peter reviewed and commented on the Lions Gate Bridge Area Wayfinding Signage Plan which has not yet been widely distributed.
    • Work will start soon on a switchback path from Nelson Creek up to the Seaview Walk (accessed from Cranley Drive).
    • HUB delegation to council request has been submitted to talk about successful project, UnGapTheMap and AAA cycle infrastructure.
Personal tools