Meeting Summary: June 9, 2016

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(9 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
  
# Attendance: Giacomo, Peter S (Chair), Fiona, Brian, Dianne, Nelson, Erica, Fred, Don, Antje, Giacomo, Paul and newcomers Krista (cycles to VGH) & Mike (cycles to BCIT)
+
# Attendance: Guest: Melissa Chaun, Peter S (Chair), Fiona, Brian, Dianne, Nelson, Erica, Fred, Don, Antje, Giacomo, Paul and newcomers Krista (cycles to VGH) & Mike (cycles to BCIT)
 
# Summer monthly meeting break  
 
# Summer monthly meeting break  
 
#* It was decided to continue with regular monthly meetings on 14 July and 11 August.
 
#* It was decided to continue with regular monthly meetings on 14 July and 11 August.
 
# Review of recent events
 
# Review of recent events
 
#* Gleneagles on 28 May – not many attended, due to weather, but we obtained 1 new member.  
 
#* Gleneagles on 28 May – not many attended, due to weather, but we obtained 1 new member.  
#* MEC on 28 May – 20-40 people due to weather with 3 new memberships.
+
#* MEC on 28 May – only 20-40 people due to weather with 3 new memberships.
#*  Bike day in Canada on 30 May – 20+ folks on 3 km  and 10 km rides rides including City mayor/City and District councillors & N Van MLA. The odeo only had a couple of kids.
+
#*  Bike day in Canada on 30 May – 20+ folks on 3 km  and 10 km rides rides including City mayor/City and District councillors & N Van MLA. The rodeo only had a couple of kids.
 
#** Photo at the start of the 3 km ride - see 27 June 2016 upload at: http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/index.php?title=Special:ListFiles
 
#** Photo at the start of the 3 km ride - see 27 June 2016 upload at: http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/index.php?title=Special:ListFiles
 
#** L to R in photo: Linda Buchanan, Iona Bonamis, Darrell Mussatto, Erika Rathje, Peter Scholefield, Dave Wilson, Phil Legree, Sonia Garza and in the background, Dianne Murrray.  
 
#** L to R in photo: Linda Buchanan, Iona Bonamis, Darrell Mussatto, Erika Rathje, Peter Scholefield, Dave Wilson, Phil Legree, Sonia Garza and in the background, Dianne Murrray.  
#* BTWW station at north end of lions Gate Bridge narrows bridge on 1 June 4-6 pm
+
#* BTWW station at north end of the Lions Gate Bridge on 1 June 4-6 pm
 
#** Peter counted 394, 110 going to Vancouver and 61 stopped at the station.
 
#** Peter counted 394, 110 going to Vancouver and 61 stopped at the station.
 
#** DWV sponsored it but HUB ran it.  
 
#** DWV sponsored it but HUB ran it.  
Line 17: Line 17:
 
#** No new memberships were obtained.  
 
#** No new memberships were obtained.  
 
#** Space was crowded with room for only 2 tents unless setup could in future be further back from sidewalk.
 
#** Space was crowded with room for only 2 tents unless setup could in future be further back from sidewalk.
#** More signage or balloon upstream on the bridge would help to advertise the station
+
#** More signage or balloon upstream on the bridge would help to advertise the station.
 
#* BTWW station at 14th and Argyle in West Vancouver on 2 June 4:30-6:30 pm
 
#* BTWW station at 14th and Argyle in West Vancouver on 2 June 4:30-6:30 pm
#**  Emily Willowbie was their as the DWW sponsor.
+
#**  Emily Willowbee was there as the DWV sponsor.
 
#** Different Bikes had a repair station.  
 
#** Different Bikes had a repair station.  
 
# Review and planning for upcoming events:  
 
# Review and planning for upcoming events:  
 
#* Lynn Valley Days (18 June)
 
#* Lynn Valley Days (18 June)
#**  We will our tent with the following volunteers: Don 10-2, Nelson 10-1, and Fred 2-4  
+
#**  We will have our tent with the following volunteers: Don 10-2, Nelson 10-1, and Fred 2-4  
 
#* Canada Day in North Van (1 July)
 
#* Canada Day in North Van (1 July)
 
#** We need some ideas for stickers e.g. 10 reasons to ride - Erika can help with sticker quotes & artwork.
 
#** We need some ideas for stickers e.g. 10 reasons to ride - Erika can help with sticker quotes & artwork.
 
#** Don volunteered to register for parade & booth.
 
#** Don volunteered to register for parade & booth.
#* It was decided to will skip Caribbean days & the Harmony Arts Festival in west Van.
+
#* It was decided to skip Caribbean days & the Harmony Arts Festival in west Van.
 
#* Car Free day (13-14 Aug)
 
#* Car Free day (13-14 Aug)
#** Don will  get us registered
+
#** Don will  get us registered.
 
#** We should try to get a location near the bike rodeo & Obsession Bikes.
 
#** We should try to get a location near the bike rodeo & Obsession Bikes.
 
#* E.V. Bike to shop day is on 13 Aug.
 
#* E.V. Bike to shop day is on 13 Aug.
 
#* It was decided to skip Caribbean days & the Harmony Arts Festival in West Van.
 
#* It was decided to skip Caribbean days & the Harmony Arts Festival in West Van.
 +
#* FraserFEST 28-Aug
 +
#** Melissa, Chaun (mchaun@gmail.com - 604-949-0045) Events Coordinator for the Rivershed Society of BC (http://rivershed.com) briefed us on the event.
 +
#** There will be a group ride from Vanier park over 2nd narrows to a First Nations event at Ambleside park and then back to Vanier Park back via 1st narrows.
 +
#** The proposed Burrard Loop map can be found on Google Maps at: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=1oAl8uHGThTvnVNbjXFLFkiZAKcY
 +
#** They will need 6 guides/sweeps for 44km ride.
 +
#** We suggested offering a shorter "loop" as well, counterclockwise, to Ambleside and back, perhaps using different routes through Stanley Park;
 +
#** We also recommended pre-registration for the group ride(s).
 +
#** Melissa said that she would be most grateful to keep the information and brainstorming flowing to facilitate a potential partnership with us.
 
# Municipalities
 
# Municipalities
  CNV Update (10 min)
+
#* CNV Update
#** Spirit Trail tunnel
+
#** We have requested an update on Spirit Trail bridge/tunnel but the mayor told us on Bike Day in Canada that engineering plans have been started.
#** East Keith and Grand Boulevard
+
#** There are no updates on East & West Keith plans following recent public consultations which included our formal input.
#* DNV & MOTI Update (10 min Antje, Giacomo)
+
#* DNV & MOTI Update  
#** Lower Lynn Interchanges
+
#** Lower Lynn Interchanges - We will be meeting on 30 June with the three North Shore MLAs to discuss plans for the major interchange construction.
#** Ironworkers Memorial Bridge directional signage
+
#** Also discussed will be the possibility of a bike highway between Mtn-Hwy & 2nd Narrows.
#** DNV parking policy
+
#** Iron workers Memorial Bridge directional signage is needed to reinforce uni-directional travel by cyclists.
#** Public bike repair station near Phibbs Exchange
+
#** We know there will be new bike lanes on Capilano Road but we need to investigate implementation plans.
#* DWV Update (15 min Peter)
+
#** There are plans for a public bike repair station near Phibbs Exchange.
#** Spirit Trail Ambleside Extension up for approval at Council on 13 June
+
#* DWV Update  
#** HUB letter on uphill bike lanes on 15th and 21st Streets
+
#** Spirit Trail Ambleside Extension is up for approval at Council on 13 June and Paul, Peter and Tony are planning to speak in support of the planned separated Spirit Trail.
#** Delegation to Council on AAA bike lanes
+
#** Peter will be drafting a HUB letter on uphill bike lanes during roadwork on 15th and 21st Streets leading up to Hwy 1.
 
+
#** Peter will also investigate the possibility of a cycling infrastructure workshop to be given to DWV council and staff similar to the recent one to DNV.
 
+
A. new: Christie (cycles to VGH) & Mike (cycles to BCIT)
+
B. Peter,
+
C. Summer break – will have July & Aug meetings.
+
D. Recent events:
+
D.I. Gleneagles – not many attended, due to weather, 1 new member.
+
D.II. MEC – 20-40 people due to weather,  3 new memberships.
+
D.III. Bike day in Canada – 20+ folks on rides including City/District councillors & N Van MLA. Rodeo only had a couple of kids.
+
D.IV. B2WW 2nd narrows – 300+ cyclists, ~130 stopped, no new memberships.
+
D.IV.a) Jane Hartwick – Seymour MLA stopped by.
+
D.IV.b) Crowded => only 2 tents or setup further back from sidewalk
+
D.IV.c) More signage on bridge. Balloons.
+
D.IV.d) 1st narrows booth – about 60 stopped
+
D.V. West Van Community day – disorganized & spread out, ~30 people. 
+
D.V.a) Next year need a higher traffic location, possibly near spirit trail?
+
E. Up Coming:
+
E.I. Lynn Valley Days (18-Jun) – Don 10-2, Nelson 10-1, Fred 2-4
+
E.II. Canada Day (1-July):
+
E.II.a) Stickers – need ideas, 10 reasons to ride, Erika can help with sticker quotes & artwork
+
E.II.b) Don to register for parade & booth
+
E.III. We will skip Caribbean days & Harmony Arts
+
E.IV. Car Free day (13-14 Aug)
+
E.IV.a) Don to get us registered
+
E.IV.b) tTy to get a location near bike rodeo & obsession
+
E.V. Bike to shop day (13 Aug)
+
E.VI. FraserFest 28-Aug – Melissa(organizer) – need 6 guides/sweeps for 44km ride.
+
E.VI.a) From Vanier park over 2nd narrows to 1st nations event @ Ambleside and back via 1st narrows.
+
E.VII. CNV -
+
E.VII.a) requested update on Spirit trail bridge/tunnel
+
E.VII.b) no updates on E & W Keith.
+
E.VIII. DNV -
+
E.VIII.a) 21st June mtg with MLAs  - Bike highway between Mtn-Hwy & 2nd Narrows.
+
E.VIII.b) Cap road bike lanes – investigate
+
E.VIII.c) J Porter – more signage for one way on 2nd narrows
+
E.VIII.d) Developing a parking policy – for new town centres & new developments.
+
E.IX. DWV
+
E.IX.a) Public Hearing on Mon 13th,  Ambleside to Lawson
+
E.IX.a.i) Council is onside, but parking lobby is pushing back
+
E.IX.a.ii) Tony – will speak for HUB.
+
E.IX.b) Working on 15th & 21st uphill cycle lanes
+

Latest revision as of 17:29, 27 June 2016

  1. Attendance: Guest: Melissa Chaun, Peter S (Chair), Fiona, Brian, Dianne, Nelson, Erica, Fred, Don, Antje, Giacomo, Paul and newcomers Krista (cycles to VGH) & Mike (cycles to BCIT)
  2. Summer monthly meeting break
    • It was decided to continue with regular monthly meetings on 14 July and 11 August.
  3. Review of recent events
    • Gleneagles on 28 May – not many attended, due to weather, but we obtained 1 new member.
    • MEC on 28 May – only 20-40 people due to weather with 3 new memberships.
    • Bike day in Canada on 30 May – 20+ folks on 3 km and 10 km rides rides including City mayor/City and District councillors & N Van MLA. The rodeo only had a couple of kids.
    • BTWW station at north end of the Lions Gate Bridge on 1 June 4-6 pm
      • Peter counted 394, 110 going to Vancouver and 61 stopped at the station.
      • DWV sponsored it but HUB ran it.
    • BTWW station at north end of 2nd narrows bridge on 2 June 4-6 pm
      • 300+ cyclists, ~130 stopped including MLA Jane Thornthwaite.
      • Obsession Bikes had a repair station.
      • No new memberships were obtained.
      • Space was crowded with room for only 2 tents unless setup could in future be further back from sidewalk.
      • More signage or balloon upstream on the bridge would help to advertise the station.
    • BTWW station at 14th and Argyle in West Vancouver on 2 June 4:30-6:30 pm
      • Emily Willowbee was there as the DWV sponsor.
      • Different Bikes had a repair station.
  4. Review and planning for upcoming events:
    • Lynn Valley Days (18 June)
      • We will have our tent with the following volunteers: Don 10-2, Nelson 10-1, and Fred 2-4
    • Canada Day in North Van (1 July)
      • We need some ideas for stickers e.g. 10 reasons to ride - Erika can help with sticker quotes & artwork.
      • Don volunteered to register for parade & booth.
    • It was decided to skip Caribbean days & the Harmony Arts Festival in west Van.
    • Car Free day (13-14 Aug)
      • Don will get us registered.
      • We should try to get a location near the bike rodeo & Obsession Bikes.
    • E.V. Bike to shop day is on 13 Aug.
    • It was decided to skip Caribbean days & the Harmony Arts Festival in West Van.
    • FraserFEST 28-Aug
      • Melissa, Chaun (mchaun@gmail.com - 604-949-0045) Events Coordinator for the Rivershed Society of BC (http://rivershed.com) briefed us on the event.
      • There will be a group ride from Vanier park over 2nd narrows to a First Nations event at Ambleside park and then back to Vanier Park back via 1st narrows.
      • The proposed Burrard Loop map can be found on Google Maps at: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=1oAl8uHGThTvnVNbjXFLFkiZAKcY
      • They will need 6 guides/sweeps for 44km ride.
      • We suggested offering a shorter "loop" as well, counterclockwise, to Ambleside and back, perhaps using different routes through Stanley Park;
      • We also recommended pre-registration for the group ride(s).
      • Melissa said that she would be most grateful to keep the information and brainstorming flowing to facilitate a potential partnership with us.
  5. Municipalities
    • CNV Update
      • We have requested an update on Spirit Trail bridge/tunnel but the mayor told us on Bike Day in Canada that engineering plans have been started.
      • There are no updates on East & West Keith plans following recent public consultations which included our formal input.
    • DNV & MOTI Update
      • Lower Lynn Interchanges - We will be meeting on 30 June with the three North Shore MLAs to discuss plans for the major interchange construction.
      • Also discussed will be the possibility of a bike highway between Mtn-Hwy & 2nd Narrows.
      • Iron workers Memorial Bridge directional signage is needed to reinforce uni-directional travel by cyclists.
      • We know there will be new bike lanes on Capilano Road but we need to investigate implementation plans.
      • There are plans for a public bike repair station near Phibbs Exchange.
    • DWV Update
      • Spirit Trail Ambleside Extension is up for approval at Council on 13 June and Paul, Peter and Tony are planning to speak in support of the planned separated Spirit Trail.
      • Peter will be drafting a HUB letter on uphill bike lanes during roadwork on 15th and 21st Streets leading up to Hwy 1.
      • Peter will also investigate the possibility of a cycling infrastructure workshop to be given to DWV council and staff similar to the recent one to DNV.
Personal tools