Meeting Summary: June 9, 2016

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "# Introduction and Attendance (5 min) # Minutes Review (5 min) # Additions to Agenda (2 min) # Summer monthly meeting break? (5 min) # Review of recent events: Bike Day in Can...")
 
 
(25 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
# Introduction and Attendance (5 min)
+
 
# Minutes Review (5 min)
+
# Attendance: Guest: Melissa Chaun, Peter S (Chair), Fiona, Brian, Dianne, Nelson, Erica, Fred, Don, Antje, Giacomo, Paul and newcomers Krista (cycles to VGH) & Mike (cycles to BCIT)
# Additions to Agenda (2 min)
+
# Summer monthly meeting break  
# Summer monthly meeting break? (5 min)
+
#* It was decided to continue with regular monthly meetings on 14 July and 11 August.
# Review of recent events: Bike Day in Canada, MEC, Gleneagles and BTWW stations (15 min)
+
# Review of recent events
# Review and planning for upcoming events: Lynn Valley Days (18 June), North Van Canada Day (1 July) and - Caribbean Days (15 min)
+
#* Gleneagles on 28 May – not many attended, due to weather, but we obtained 1 new member.
 +
#* MEC on 28 May – only 20-40 people due to weather with 3 new memberships.
 +
#*  Bike day in Canada on 30 May – 20+ folks on 3 km  and 10 km rides rides including City mayor/City and District councillors & N Van MLA. The rodeo only had a couple of kids.
 +
#** Photo at the start of the 3 km ride - see 27 June 2016 upload at: http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/index.php?title=Special:ListFiles
 +
#** L to R in photo: Linda Buchanan, Iona Bonamis, Darrell Mussatto, Erika Rathje, Peter Scholefield, Dave Wilson, Phil Legree, Sonia Garza and in the background, Dianne Murrray.
 +
#* BTWW station at north end of the Lions Gate Bridge on 1 June 4-6 pm
 +
#** Peter counted 394, 110 going to Vancouver and 61 stopped at the station.
 +
#** DWV sponsored it but HUB ran it.
 +
#* BTWW station at north end of 2nd narrows bridge on 2 June 4-6 pm
 +
#** 300+ cyclists, ~130 stopped including MLA Jane Thornthwaite.
 +
#** Obsession Bikes had a repair station.
 +
#** No new memberships were obtained.
 +
#** Space was crowded with room for only 2 tents unless setup could in future be further back from sidewalk.
 +
#** More signage or balloon upstream on the bridge would help to advertise the station.
 +
#* BTWW station at 14th and Argyle in West Vancouver on 2 June 4:30-6:30 pm
 +
#**  Emily Willowbee was there as the DWV sponsor.
 +
#** Different Bikes had a repair station.
 +
# Review and planning for upcoming events:  
 +
#* Lynn Valley Days (18 June)
 +
#**  We will have our tent with the following volunteers: Don 10-2, Nelson 10-1, and Fred 2-4
 +
#* Canada Day in North Van (1 July)
 +
#** We need some ideas for stickers e.g. 10 reasons to ride - Erika can help with sticker quotes & artwork.
 +
#** Don volunteered to register for parade & booth.
 +
#* It was decided to skip Caribbean days & the Harmony Arts Festival in west Van.
 +
#* Car Free day (13-14 Aug)
 +
#** Don will  get us registered.
 +
#** We should try to get a location near the bike rodeo & Obsession Bikes.
 +
#* E.V. Bike to shop day is on 13 Aug.
 +
#* It was decided to skip Caribbean days & the Harmony Arts Festival in West Van.
 +
#* FraserFEST 28-Aug
 +
#** Melissa, Chaun (mchaun@gmail.com - 604-949-0045) Events Coordinator for the Rivershed Society of BC (http://rivershed.com) briefed us on the event.
 +
#** There will be a group ride from Vanier park over 2nd narrows to a First Nations event at Ambleside park and then back to Vanier Park back via 1st narrows.
 +
#** The proposed Burrard Loop map can be found on Google Maps at: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=1oAl8uHGThTvnVNbjXFLFkiZAKcY
 +
#** They will need 6 guides/sweeps for 44km ride.
 +
#** We suggested offering a shorter "loop" as well, counterclockwise, to Ambleside and back, perhaps using different routes through Stanley Park;
 +
#** We also recommended pre-registration for the group ride(s).
 +
#** Melissa said that she would be most grateful to keep the information and brainstorming flowing to facilitate a potential partnership with us.
 
# Municipalities
 
# Municipalities
#* CNV Update (10 min)
+
#* CNV Update
#** Spirit Trail tunnel
+
#** We have requested an update on Spirit Trail bridge/tunnel but the mayor told us on Bike Day in Canada that engineering plans have been started.
#** East Keith and Grand Boulevard
+
#** There are no updates on East & West Keith plans following recent public consultations which included our formal input.
#* DNV & MOTI Update (10 min Antje, Giacomo)
+
#* DNV & MOTI Update  
#** Lower Lynn Interchanges
+
#** Lower Lynn Interchanges - We will be meeting on 30 June with the three North Shore MLAs to discuss plans for the major interchange construction.
#** Ironworkers Memorial Bridge directional signage
+
#** Also discussed will be the possibility of a bike highway between Mtn-Hwy & 2nd Narrows.
#** DNV parking policy
+
#** Iron workers Memorial Bridge directional signage is needed to reinforce uni-directional travel by cyclists.
#** Public bike repair station near Phibbs Exchange
+
#** We know there will be new bike lanes on Capilano Road but we need to investigate implementation plans.
#* DWV Update (15 min Peter)
+
#** There are plans for a public bike repair station near Phibbs Exchange.
#** Spirit Trail Ambleside Extension up for approval at Council on 13 June
+
#* DWV Update  
#** HUB letter on uphill bike lanes on 15th and 21st Streets
+
#** Spirit Trail Ambleside Extension is up for approval at Council on 13 June and Paul, Peter and Tony are planning to speak in support of the planned separated Spirit Trail.
#** Delegation to Council on AAA bike lanes
+
#** Peter will be drafting a HUB letter on uphill bike lanes during roadwork on 15th and 21st Streets leading up to Hwy 1.
 +
#** Peter will also investigate the possibility of a cycling infrastructure workshop to be given to DWV council and staff similar to the recent one to DNV.

Latest revision as of 17:29, 27 June 2016

  1. Attendance: Guest: Melissa Chaun, Peter S (Chair), Fiona, Brian, Dianne, Nelson, Erica, Fred, Don, Antje, Giacomo, Paul and newcomers Krista (cycles to VGH) & Mike (cycles to BCIT)
  2. Summer monthly meeting break
    • It was decided to continue with regular monthly meetings on 14 July and 11 August.
  3. Review of recent events
    • Gleneagles on 28 May – not many attended, due to weather, but we obtained 1 new member.
    • MEC on 28 May – only 20-40 people due to weather with 3 new memberships.
    • Bike day in Canada on 30 May – 20+ folks on 3 km and 10 km rides rides including City mayor/City and District councillors & N Van MLA. The rodeo only had a couple of kids.
    • BTWW station at north end of the Lions Gate Bridge on 1 June 4-6 pm
      • Peter counted 394, 110 going to Vancouver and 61 stopped at the station.
      • DWV sponsored it but HUB ran it.
    • BTWW station at north end of 2nd narrows bridge on 2 June 4-6 pm
      • 300+ cyclists, ~130 stopped including MLA Jane Thornthwaite.
      • Obsession Bikes had a repair station.
      • No new memberships were obtained.
      • Space was crowded with room for only 2 tents unless setup could in future be further back from sidewalk.
      • More signage or balloon upstream on the bridge would help to advertise the station.
    • BTWW station at 14th and Argyle in West Vancouver on 2 June 4:30-6:30 pm
      • Emily Willowbee was there as the DWV sponsor.
      • Different Bikes had a repair station.
  4. Review and planning for upcoming events:
    • Lynn Valley Days (18 June)
      • We will have our tent with the following volunteers: Don 10-2, Nelson 10-1, and Fred 2-4
    • Canada Day in North Van (1 July)
      • We need some ideas for stickers e.g. 10 reasons to ride - Erika can help with sticker quotes & artwork.
      • Don volunteered to register for parade & booth.
    • It was decided to skip Caribbean days & the Harmony Arts Festival in west Van.
    • Car Free day (13-14 Aug)
      • Don will get us registered.
      • We should try to get a location near the bike rodeo & Obsession Bikes.
    • E.V. Bike to shop day is on 13 Aug.
    • It was decided to skip Caribbean days & the Harmony Arts Festival in West Van.
    • FraserFEST 28-Aug
      • Melissa, Chaun (mchaun@gmail.com - 604-949-0045) Events Coordinator for the Rivershed Society of BC (http://rivershed.com) briefed us on the event.
      • There will be a group ride from Vanier park over 2nd narrows to a First Nations event at Ambleside park and then back to Vanier Park back via 1st narrows.
      • The proposed Burrard Loop map can be found on Google Maps at: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=1oAl8uHGThTvnVNbjXFLFkiZAKcY
      • They will need 6 guides/sweeps for 44km ride.
      • We suggested offering a shorter "loop" as well, counterclockwise, to Ambleside and back, perhaps using different routes through Stanley Park;
      • We also recommended pre-registration for the group ride(s).
      • Melissa said that she would be most grateful to keep the information and brainstorming flowing to facilitate a potential partnership with us.
  5. Municipalities
    • CNV Update
      • We have requested an update on Spirit Trail bridge/tunnel but the mayor told us on Bike Day in Canada that engineering plans have been started.
      • There are no updates on East & West Keith plans following recent public consultations which included our formal input.
    • DNV & MOTI Update
      • Lower Lynn Interchanges - We will be meeting on 30 June with the three North Shore MLAs to discuss plans for the major interchange construction.
      • Also discussed will be the possibility of a bike highway between Mtn-Hwy & 2nd Narrows.
      • Iron workers Memorial Bridge directional signage is needed to reinforce uni-directional travel by cyclists.
      • We know there will be new bike lanes on Capilano Road but we need to investigate implementation plans.
      • There are plans for a public bike repair station near Phibbs Exchange.
    • DWV Update
      • Spirit Trail Ambleside Extension is up for approval at Council on 13 June and Paul, Peter and Tony are planning to speak in support of the planned separated Spirit Trail.
      • Peter will be drafting a HUB letter on uphill bike lanes during roadwork on 15th and 21st Streets leading up to Hwy 1.
      • Peter will also investigate the possibility of a cycling infrastructure workshop to be given to DWV council and staff similar to the recent one to DNV.
Personal tools