Meeting Summary: June 12, 2014

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(5 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
# Attendance :Peter, Antje, Heather, Fiona, Tony, Erin, Erika, Don, Lesley, Dianne, Brian
+
# Attendance: Peter, Antje, Heather, Fiona, Tony, Erin, Erika, Don, Lesley, Dianne, Brian
 
#* Guest: Darrell Mussatto, Mayor, City of North Vancouver
 
#* Guest: Darrell Mussatto, Mayor, City of North Vancouver
 
#* Guest: Steve Beck, Executive Administrator from BEST
 
#* Guest: Steve Beck, Executive Administrator from BEST
Line 17: Line 17:
 
#* Facility could also be used to store bike valet equipment so that North Shore events can be better serviced
 
#* Facility could also be used to store bike valet equipment so that North Shore events can be better serviced
 
#* Park Royal also considering secure bike parking for employees with shower facilities
 
#* Park Royal also considering secure bike parking for employees with shower facilities
#* Financial model for the bike valet hasn't been discussed
 
 
# Park Royal Bicycle infrastructure proposals (Peter)
 
# Park Royal Bicycle infrastructure proposals (Peter)
 
#* Peter presented Park Royal plan for bike routes through Park Royal South and North
 
#* Peter presented Park Royal plan for bike routes through Park Royal South and North
#* Plan distinguishes routes for commuter and recreational cyclists (shoppers?)
+
#* Plan distinguishes routes for commuter and recreational cyclists (including shoppers)
 
#* Bike storage centres planned on both south and north side
 
#* Bike storage centres planned on both south and north side
 
#* Discussed issues: single-file shared lanes in parking lot too slow for some cyclists & too scary for others, riding behind angle-parked cars dangerous, missing connection along Taylor Way (planned for later)
 
#* Discussed issues: single-file shared lanes in parking lot too slow for some cyclists & too scary for others, riding behind angle-parked cars dangerous, missing connection along Taylor Way (planned for later)
#* As Park Royal North will be the next implementation, we focused on feedback on this area and agreed to recommend that Park Royal provide a separated bike path east-west instead of single-file shared lanes. It would also increase the attractiveness of the nice south facing space in front of the new stores they plan to build.
+
#* As Park Royal North will be the next implementation, we agreed to recommend that Park Royal provide a separated bike path east-west next to the sidewalk, instead of single-file shared lanes. It would also make the south facing front of the planned new stores a more attractive space. Peter to send feedback to Park Royal.
 
# HUB delegation to DNV council June 9 (Antje)
 
# HUB delegation to DNV council June 9 (Antje)
 
#* Presented about AAA bike routes and new town centre plans, Keith bridge
 
#* Presented about AAA bike routes and new town centre plans, Keith bridge
 +
#* Presentation is available here http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/b/b9/2014-06-09_HUB_AAA_Bike_Routes_DNV_Council.pdf
 
#* Positive comments from council to have HUB work with staff on plans
 
#* Positive comments from council to have HUB work with staff on plans
 
#* Should meet with staff soon about Keith bridge, town centres
 
#* Should meet with staff soon about Keith bridge, town centres
Line 33: Line 33:
 
#* Update at the next meeting
 
#* Update at the next meeting
 
# Recap: Bike Day in Canada, Lynn Valley Days, West Van Community Day, Bike to Work Week
 
# Recap: Bike Day in Canada, Lynn Valley Days, West Van Community Day, Bike to Work Week
#* Events were successful, need more volunteers, more interactions at Lynn Valley Days than at West Van Day, Lions Gate Bridge BTWW station much busier than last year, thanks to everybody who helped!
+
#* Events were successful, need more volunteers, more interactions at Lynn Valley Days than at West Van Day, Lions Gate Bridge BTWW station much busier than last year, thanks to Erin, Mary Ellen, Dianne and everybody who helped!

Latest revision as of 06:24, 9 July 2014

  1. Attendance: Peter, Antje, Heather, Fiona, Tony, Erin, Erika, Don, Lesley, Dianne, Brian
    • Guest: Darrell Mussatto, Mayor, City of North Vancouver
    • Guest: Steve Beck, Executive Administrator from BEST
  2. Darrell gave overview of City policies regarding active transportation and described plans for upcoming cycling projects (remaining Spirit Trail section between Harbourside and the Quay, Green Necklace, Chesterfield bike route, 13th Street)
  3. Review of agenda, additional agenda items
    • No items added
  4. North Van Open Street event in 2015 (Heather)
    • Heather presented how Open Street events are typically organized in the US and suggested ideas for a North Shore event in 2015
    • Next step is to form a group of volunteers and approach potential partners
  5. New Keith bridge at Lynn Creek (Antje)
    • North Van District plans to replace green two-lane bridge with five-lane bridge
    • Design presented at open house showed 1.5m painted bike lanes with no clearance from bridge parapet (concrete barrier)
    • HUB presented a separated bike lane option for Keith Bridge in the presentation to council and Antje will follow up with staff
  6. Possible BEST Bicycle Valet Service for Park Royal (Steve Beck)
    • Steve described a possible permanent bike valet service for Park Royal customers and commuters into Vancouver
    • Bike repair station, bike shop are being considered
    • Facility could also be used to store bike valet equipment so that North Shore events can be better serviced
    • Park Royal also considering secure bike parking for employees with shower facilities
  7. Park Royal Bicycle infrastructure proposals (Peter)
    • Peter presented Park Royal plan for bike routes through Park Royal South and North
    • Plan distinguishes routes for commuter and recreational cyclists (including shoppers)
    • Bike storage centres planned on both south and north side
    • Discussed issues: single-file shared lanes in parking lot too slow for some cyclists & too scary for others, riding behind angle-parked cars dangerous, missing connection along Taylor Way (planned for later)
    • As Park Royal North will be the next implementation, we agreed to recommend that Park Royal provide a separated bike path east-west next to the sidewalk, instead of single-file shared lanes. It would also make the south facing front of the planned new stores a more attractive space. Peter to send feedback to Park Royal.
  8. HUB delegation to DNV council June 9 (Antje)
  9. Announcements
    • None
  10. Library event (Fiona)
    • Update at the next meeting
  11. Recap: Bike Day in Canada, Lynn Valley Days, West Van Community Day, Bike to Work Week
    • Events were successful, need more volunteers, more interactions at Lynn Valley Days than at West Van Day, Lions Gate Bridge BTWW station much busier than last year, thanks to Erin, Mary Ellen, Dianne and everybody who helped!
Personal tools