Meeting Summary: July 13, 2017
From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
- Introductions: Grant, Antje, Dianne, Nelson, Nick Jones, Martyn, Coline Ma, Kelsey Pfeiffer, Richard Warrington, Fred, Daniel Fung, Michael Chung, Peter T, Fiona,Erika, Don P, Peter S, Tony (chair), Giacomo
- Potential Bike Lane parallel to Capilano Road (McGuire Avenue)
- Presentation by a group led by Kelsey Pfeiffer, Pottinger Bird Community Relations, concerning the proposed development
- The project started in 2014 and involves the properties of Comfort Inn and Best Western on the east side Capilano Road just north of Marine Drive.
- There have been workshops, an open house April 2015 and worked with the DNV to convene another public meeting two weeks ago.
- 31percent of land will be dedicated for transportation including a bike lane on McQuire
- There will be same number of hotel rooms but with conference centre to be part of the Lions Gate village plan – pdestrain orented – courtyard plaza
- The development itself will be pedestrian oriented with a courtyard plaza.
- The developer team said they are working with District to incorporate active transportation into the development in addition to a curb bike lane on Marine west of Capilano Road.
- Planned is a Curling Road extension through to McQuire which will be a walkway with green buffer on east side.
- In addition to the planned 1.5m bike lanes on both sides of Capilano Road, the development plans for a bike lane on the west side of Mcquire Ave.
- We suggested protected bike lanes wherever posible and a greenway between cars and cyclists.
- There was a lengthy discussion reducing parking spaces per residential unit (.75 parking spaces for rental unit) and secure bike parking insdie the development bike racks outside.
- With regard to the next step, we were told that the next milestone is public hearing. We said that we would like to see the next iteration of the plans before that public hearing.
- Events - volunteers needed! http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/5/5f/2017_Events_overview.docx
- Recap: Lynn Valley Days – Sat 17-June, 10:00-16:00 (Booth at Lynn Valley Park); Canada Day (North Van) - July 1, 12:00-16:00 (Booth at Celebration at Waterfront Park)
- Next: West Van Bike to Shop Days 22 July
City of North Vancouver
- Spirit Trail through Squamish Nation / Mosquito Creek construction will start soon.
- 13th East of Lonsdale protected bike lane has been repainted.
- Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure
- Lower Lynn Interchanges project update
District of North Vancouver
- Queens pop up bike lane
- Lynn Valley Road
- Pemberton Ave repaving
- Series of Letters:
- 1. Spirit trail / MUP designs (baffle at Pemberton/Spirit Trail, bollards and shared crossings. We can start with the DNV and perhaps later send similar letters to CNV and DWV).
- 2. Proposed new DNV Policy - new construction = new infrastructure (Examples: Rec Centre Queens and Deep cove / Dollarton 90 units)
- 3. Maplewood Issues - fix it
- Antje offered to draft two letters.
District of West Vancouver
- HUB delegation to DWV Council on 24 July - Peter and Tony will present for 10 minutes.
- Six sets of chicanes on Kings Ave bike route: http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/9/97/Kings_Ave_mid-block_chicane_looking_east_2017-06-27_IMG_1595.JPG
- Peter S will draft a HUB letter.
End at 7.50pm - Summer Social at Jack Lonsdale pub