Meeting Summary: January 6, 2011

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Jump to: navigation, search

Attendance & Agenda

  • Attendance: Peter, Heather, Bart, Antje, John, Dianne
  • Reviewed December minutes

Education & Outreach

  • Delegation presentation to West Vancouver council (Peter - see details below)
    • Bart to schedule delegation presentation
    • Once the date is established, then we will attempt to meet with DWV transportation staff to discuss planned content.
  • North Vancouver Bicycle Master Plan review (John/Antje/Bill)
    • Next CNV/DNV review meeting likely in February
    • John to review Mountain Highway route, volunteers needed for other North Van bike routes
  • Vancity community grants (Antje)
    • Discussed applying for a grant (Vancity or other) to produce credit card sized foldout cycling map of the North Shore
    • Dianne to talk to City of Vancouver about cost of their map
    • Antje to talk to City & District of North Vancouver
  • Mainroads delegates for 03-Feb meeting (John)
    • John discussed possible talking points with Mainroads and MoT
    • John to invite cyclists interested in highway maintenance
    • Bart will try to change room for Feb 3 meeting
  • Hierarchy of bike route constructs and markings (Peter)
    • List is on wiki under "Issues"
    • Wiki users can post their opinion under the "Discussion" tab
  • Canadian Standards Association (Heather)
    • No national standards exist for all types of cycling infrastructure; lots of differences between municipalities
    • Heather to investigate national standard/guideline for cycling infrastructure
  • DNV withdrawal from JBAC
    • JBAC received letter from DNV that they will not participate in JBAC anymore
    • Discussed NS-VACC position
    • Jay to find out more about DNV withdrawal from JBAC

Hot Spots & Issues

  • Hwy 1 crossing at Lynn Valley Road (Jen/Dave)
    • Jen or Dave not present
    • Check with Fiona about December North Van City council meeting where staff report was presented to council
  • Lions Gate Bridge (Peter)
    • Nothing new to report
    • Off ramp from new Capilano Bridge to 6th St still not on map
  • Keith Road from Lynn Creek to 13th Street (Antje)
    • Antje to follow up with City, District of North Van and JBAC about bike lanes on Keith Road
  • Welch Street (Bart)
    • Nothing new to report
  • Marine Drive in West Vancouver (Peter)
    • Peter discussed planned eastbound bus priority lane at Park Royal that will be available for cyclists
    • Peter to follow up with Brent Dozzi on bike lane possibility between 11th and 13th

Social

  • Festive season gathering in December, recap
    • Lots of people came (about 20), some with families
    • Venue was not ideal because we were spread out over 3 tables/areas
    • Next social in summer, perhaps outdoors

Action Items

  • Jay to find out more about DNV withdrawal from JBAC
  • Bart to schedule delegation presentation at West Van council meeting
  • John to document Mountain Highway route for bike master plan review
  • John to ask for volunteers to review other North Van bike routes
  • Dianne to talk to City of Vancouver about cost of their cycling map
  • Antje to talk to City & District of North Vancouver about producing a cycling map
  • John to invite cyclists interested in highway maintenance to Feb 3 meeting
  • Heather to investigate national standard/guideline for cycling infrastructure
  • Antje to follow up with City, District of North Van and JBAC about bike lanes on Keith Road
  • Peter to follow up on bike lane possibility on Martin Drive between 11th and 13th

Proposed Talking Points for a VACC/NS Delegation Presentation to the District of West Vancouver Council 6 January 2011 Draft (Peter)

1.Thanks for providing a meeting room for us at the West Vancouver Memorial Library where we having been meeting on the 1st Thursday evening of each month since May, 2010.

2.We appreciate the recently installed bike corral at 15th and Bellevue, the wayfinding shelters and signage on the Spirit Trail and the cyclist-activated traffic signal at 15th and Inglewood.

3.We also appreciated the invitation of Brent Dozzi to work with him and and consultant to update the cycling network that is contained in the West Vancouver Cycling Network and Greenway Plan.

4.We are pleased with cycling infrastructure improvements proposed in the 3-year implementation plan of the Strategic Transportation Plan, including the for the eastward extension of the Spirit Trail and hope that an upgrade to Welch Street will include a paved shoulder.

5.Refer to the ongoing cycling improvements at the north end of the Lions Gate Bridge.

6.Using our Wiki, site we would could show them some other plans and ideas that we have to enhance cycling in West Van including the following:

  • improve the pathway along the Capilano Pacific Trail under the Capilano Bridges to connect the Spirit Trail to the planned ramp off of the new Capilano Bridge at 6th Street;
  • improve Marine Drive from 11th - 13th Streets by adding a bike lane or green sharrow lane;
  • proposed Village Bike Loop;
  • possible bike lift up Taylor Way between Clyde Avenue and Keith Road; and
  • other West Van proposals that are on our Wiki site.
Personal tools