Meeting Summary: January 12, 2017

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Jump to: navigation, search
  • Introductions: Tony (chair), Peter S, Don P, Fred, Erika, Fiona, Antje, Dianne, Martyn, Paul, Kevin, Amelia, Giacomo and invited guests from the DNV: Cormac Linehan, Justin Pedley and Nick (design engineer)
  • Lynn Valley Road Underpass Project Presentation
    • Cormac, the Project Manager for the Lynn Valley Road Underpass Project, led the presentation with detailed charts projected onto a screen.
    • The project is being jointly planned by DNV, CNV and MoTI and Donna Howes, a transportation consultant, is involved.
    • The project plan begins from the end of the southbound separated bike lane on Lynn Valley Road, that runs between Mollie Nye Way and Morgan Road.
    • It is planned to add a traffic lane and a 4m wide above grade multi-use-path under the Hwy 1 underpass which narrows to 3.3 m at Sutherland Ave. and continues southward across 21st Street to join the existing bike lane on Crescent Boulevard.
    • Some kind of fencing is being considered to separate the MUP from traffic under the Hwy 1 underpass which could possibly be like the fencing along the Stanley Park Causeway.
    • Our main concern was the planned crossing at Sutherland Ave. and 21st St. where at Sutherland Ave, the MUP curved slightly westward on each side of the intersection to allow a shorter crossing for pedestrians.
    • We pointed out that this would not suit cyclists, so suggested a separate green-painted bike lanes straight across the intersections.
    • It was also suggested that cyclist-activated flashing lights be considered like the ones on the Stanley Park Causeway bike path.
    • We wonder if the the traffic signal at 21st St would be pedestrian activated. They will find out.
    • There is a lightly used bus stop at Sutherland and the bus shelter could be a visibility problem for cyclists approaching the intersection.
    • They will look into the possibility of adding a green painted bike lane and suggested a letter with our suggestions to the DNV and CNV by 30 January would be helpful.
    • it is planned to start construction in May/June and it will take 4-6 months to complete.
  • Review of prior meeting minutes
    • Tony's presentation to the DNV on 21 November was viewed online and discussed and several suggestions for letters have been subsequently written.
  • Sunrise Bike Ride next steps (Not discussed at this meeting)
  • UnGapTheMap Workshop
    • Peter and/or Fiona may be available to represent HUB-NS. It will depend on the date which is being determined by a Doodle Poll.
    • Antje got a call about our input to the map.
  • SLOW DOWN NORTH SHORE public forum Jan 26, 6:30pm
    • Tony will be on the panel and others are encouraged to attend.
  • City of North Vancouver Update
    • Jones to Grand Boulevard letter has been sent.
    • Despite the request, it was decided not to submit a letter of support for this section of the Green Necklace from Jones to Lonsdale rather let them know that we do not consider it cycling infrastructure that we can support because it is only 3m wide. Nonetheless, we should let them know that we are not against the project.
    • West Keith/13th St. letter has been sent.
  • District of North Vancouver Update
    • Letters have been prepared re:Maplewood; Low Hanging Fruit projects; and the Financial Plan 2017-2021.
    • There is another plan for the Lynn Creek town centre development which involves a pedestrian bridge across a creek which will be part of the Spirit Trail. Antje got an email from a community planner inviting her to meet to discuss plans.
  • West Vancouver Update
    • It is planned that Heather Johnston and Neil Winkelmann will meet with District engineering staff on 30 January to discuss the status of the plans to extend the Spirit Trail down into Horseshoe Bay Village from Exit 0 and the traffic calming project around Eagle Harbour School. Heather sent an email report for us to consider at the meeting and would like some feedback.
    • They may also discuss possible ways to improve safety for cyclists on Marine Drive through all of West Van, which is the busiest cycling route on the North Shore.
    • Concern was expressed that they intend to represent HUB-NS but there has been no opportunity for us to share and discuss our views on the projects, so Tony will try to arrange for a few of us to meet with them before the 30th. This occurred on January 18th.
    • Peter has drafted a delegation to Council request and sent an email to Raymond Fung to see what he thinks about our delegation including a proposal for the District to form a Transportation Consultation Committee.
    • Peter has drafted a HUB letter congratulating the District on separating pedestrians and cyclists on the Spirit Trail through Ambleside.
Personal tools