Meeting Summary: February 13, 2014

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Jump to: navigation, search
  1. Attendance: Antje, Peter, Dianne, Dennis, Will, Trent, Sibylle
  2. Announcements
    • Low Level Road detour: complete detour signage should be set up soon
    • North Van City cycling projects update: Heather sent a list of current and upcoming projects to email list
    • Stanley Park Causeway: HUB feedback letter sent to MoT on preliminary design - Park Board was consulted first - MoTI will survey the Causeway
    • Lonsdale Quay SeaBus bike parking: HUB letter sent to TransLink requesting more sheltered and secure bike parking - TransLink response email says that they have no projects at the Quay at this time, but that the city will put up a few more bike racks - Antje to follow up with city about number of racks and if they can be under cover
    • Bike lights event at 1st St/Mackay on February 11, by TravelSmart/HUB and North Van City: a rainy day so not much interest
    • Ironworkers Memorial bridge construction/west sidewalk meeting with construction supervisor: east side closed - need to widen Main Street on ramp sidewalk - need sign to indicate two-way bike traffic and wayfinding signage would also be helpful - new DNV light for cyclists on Barrow St works now
  3. DNV town & village centre planning
    • Lower Lynn Town streetscape design guidelines
      • plan is to put painted bike lanes (1.8m wide) on each side of the road beside parallel parked cars on Mountain Highway
      • also the same design proposed on Crown Street
      • with an additional 40cm (20cm per street side) bike lanes could probably be separated from moving traffic and door zone - planned median at south end of Mountain Highway wastes space
      • Lower Lynn Town Centre Built Form and Design Guidelines, p. 69 onwards for street cross sections
      • we sent several letters and emails about this to council and engineering over the last 2 years, so probably little point sending more but Antje will respond to DNV engineering email
    • Edgemont Village plan and design guidelines
      • nothing on cycling in previous round of public consultation, now there are 2 pages on cycling
      • Dianne went to the workshop and promoted for a healthy community, not just for cycling facilities
      • she asked for no 2-car parking in multi-dwellings - also reduces housing cost
      • against angle parking in village centre
      • new signal proposed in front of coffee shop - more idling cars, noise and air pollution
      • no talk of a bike lane or anything else for cycling on Edgemont Blvd
      • we should support underground parking and reduced speed limit
      • Antje to draft another letter in response to updated plan, including healthy community idea, slow down traffic, no angle parking
      • as individuals, we should fill out the survey which is online https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Edgemont_Plan_Feedback_Form
    • Lower Capilano Village design guidelines - Open House 13 Feb from 5:30pm at Grouse Inn,1633 Capilano Road
      • Peter attended for about 20 minutes to find out that the transportation board was not displayed at the open house but would be available on the web site (http://identity.dnv.org/upload/pcdocsdocuments/25cnk01_.pdf)
      • based on one of the boards displayed at the open house and other conceptual drawings on the web site (http://identity.dnv.org/upload/pcdocsdocuments/25bft01_.pdf) and the transportation diagram on the website, he noted the following:
        • painted bike lanes on Capilano Road and on Marine Drive west of Capilano Road (but needs West Van to continue it to Lions Gate Bridge cloverleaf)
        • separated bike lanes on McGuire Avenue and connecting across Capilano Road to continue east-west on Crossroads
        • as individuals, we should fill out the feedback survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CRBP5Y3
  4. HUB delegation to DNV council, West Van council
    • we should give a presentation on AAA facilities to the Districts like the one Heather presented to the City
    • Antje to schedule delegation with DNV, Peter with DWV
  5. Main Street bike route east of Mountain Highway to Dollarton Highway
    • new Phibbs Exchange is being planned with possibly bus bays along Main Street, Highway 1 interchanges redesign may affect area
    • need volunteer to follow up on plans if we want a better bike route between Dollarton and Main Street - ask Will if he is interested, or someoone else who rides from Deep Cove
  6. Print and post HUB poster to advertise meetings
    • It was agreed to print some copies advertising our meetings and place in appropriate locations such as the library
    • Trent offered to help with the printing
  7. Upload files (past HUB letters and presentations) to wiki
    • Sibylle volunteered
  8. HUB Bike Friendly Business Awards Event
    • Dianne said that the event was very well attended with recognition given to many bike friendly businesses
  9. Ambleside 1300 block bike routes
    • in responding to our HUB letter to the mayor and councillors, Raymond Fung said there were no plans for separated bike lanes on Bellevue, 13th and 14th Streets as we had suggested, only 4.3 m wide sharrow lanes on Bellevue
    • Peter will respond to Raymond Fung with our continuing concerns, especially about having sharrow lanes on Bellevue with angle parking on the north side and parallel parking on the south side.
  10. Park Royal bike parking for employees
    • Dennis mentioned that there is no secure bike parking for Park Royal employees - bike theft apparently common when bikes are parked outside for long periods of time
    • he sent a letter to Park Royal management and didn't get a response - Peter offered to forward letter to Rick Amantea, Park Royal VP, as follow up to discussions we had about improving cycling facilities at Park Royal
    • Park Royal drawings showed bike room for employees at one point but Peter thinks it wasn't built with latest expansion
Personal tools