Meeting Summary: April 14, 2016

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(19 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
# Attendance:  Antje, Peter S, Tony (Chair), Martyn, Fiona, Dianne, Nelson, Fred, Erika, Don, Sibylle, Greg, Nelson, Anne
+
# Attendance:  Antje, Peter S, Tony (Chair), Martyn, Fiona, Dianne, Nelson, Fred, Erika, Don, Sibylle, Greg, Anne
 
# Emergency planning meeting (held just prior to this meeting) debriefing
 
# Emergency planning meeting (held just prior to this meeting) debriefing
 
#* Anastasia wants a list of interested participants
 
#* Anastasia wants a list of interested participants
Line 8: Line 8:
 
#* 30 May on the NV civic plaza 4-6 pm.
 
#* 30 May on the NV civic plaza 4-6 pm.
 
#* There will be 2 rides 5 and 10 km.
 
#* There will be 2 rides 5 and 10 km.
#* North Shore Safety Council will do a rodeo and hope to involve, Save on Food possible, RCMP, Endless Biking in Lynn Valley, a north shore bike shop and Evolution bikes.
+
#* North Shore Safety Council will do a rodeo and hope to involve Save on Food possibly the RCMP, Endless Biking in Lynn Valley, a north shore bike shop and Evolution bikes.
#* There will be a HUB table would like to get a well known athlete  
+
#* There will be a HUB table and we would like to get a well known athlete to participate.
 
#* We need to advertise it better and have applied for a grant to give out gifts to participants
 
#* We need to advertise it better and have applied for a grant to give out gifts to participants
+
# Review and planning for upcoming events
# Review and planning for upcoming events (25 min)
+
 
#* Gleneagles Bikefest Saturday, May 28 10am-1pm at the Gleneagles Community Centre\
 
#* Gleneagles Bikefest Saturday, May 28 10am-1pm at the Gleneagles Community Centre\
 
#* MEC Bikefest Saturday, May 28 - Would anyone in the committee be interested in leading a slow/easy ride to teach people about safe commuting and safe city riding?
 
#* MEC Bikefest Saturday, May 28 - Would anyone in the committee be interested in leading a slow/easy ride to teach people about safe commuting and safe city riding?
 
#* Canada Bike Day Monday, May 30 (Fiona Walsh)
 
#* Canada Bike Day Monday, May 30 (Fiona Walsh)
 
#* Bike to Work Week - Obsession to sponsor?
 
#* Bike to Work Week - Obsession to sponsor?
#* May Discussion Additional Events: West Van Community Day (4 June), North Van Canada Day (1 July) and Lynn Valley Days (18 June)
+
#* The May meeting will discuss additional events: West Van Community Day (4 June), North Van Canada Day (1 July) and Lynn Valley Days (18 June).
# Bike Theft (Dianne)
+
# Bike Theft
# Tactical Contact List (Tony)
+
#* Dianne briefed the group on the recent meeting of the HUB bike theft committee.
#*All bike shops
+
#* 529 garage with Jay Allard was discussed and VPD were there.
 
+
#*529 now includes West Van - we should encourage cyclists to register and get a decal.
 
+
#* Due to their ease of cutting it was suggested to try to ban cable locks.
Events
+
#* DNV will plans to intall standarsdized bike racks.
1. Glen eagles bikefest 10-12 am
+
#* We should try to get commercial units to provide racks and locks.
we have our own tent Ann will pick it up
+
#* It was suggested that we register bike at our BTWW station.
display stadn from HUB
+
#  Tactical Contact List
 
+
#* Tony suggested that we create a list of important groups that we communicate with such as all bike shops, North Shore Mountain Biking Association (NSMBA) and other bike groups.
2. MEC
+
#  Infrastructure Ride
tent from HUB HQ
+
#* Now that we have better weather it was suggest that we conduct more group rides to sites that are in need of improved infrastructure and invite engineers and planners to join us.
display stand from HUB HQ
+
# Bike to Work Week
Mark with transporter
+
#* 30 May through 3 June
BTWW
+
#* Antje has arranged for Proclamations for BTWW from the DNV and Heather from the CNV.
1st narrows (HUB) 2nd narrows (HUB_NS)
+
#* Our HUB-NS station will be at the north end of the Iron Workers Memorial Bridge from 4-6 PM on 2 Thursday 2 June.
CNV in Oasis and Hope centre  mid lonsdales
+
#* We will be able to use our new tent and will need to arrange donated refreshments and a bike shop for minor repairs and tune-ups
Obsession Bikes wants to come to our station
+
#* We can volunteer at other other North Shore BTWW locations and sponsors which so far (up to 11 May) are as follows:
we need to tell HUB when we want our on Thursday afternoon Dianne wiil contact HUB
+
#** 31 May 4-6 pm - 2nd and Bewicke sponsored by City of North Vancouver and Giant.
 
+
#** 1 June 4-6 pm - East side of north end of Lions Gate Bridge - HUB run but District of West Vancouver sponsor.
3. Parades Alex Boston lynn Valley Days next meeting 12 May
+
#** 2 June 4-6 pm - 14th and Argyle in West Vancouver - run and sponsored by District of West Vancouver.
4. Bike theft
+
#** 2 June 6:30 - 9 am - Lions Gate Hospital sponsored by Vancouver Coastal Health.
Dianne 529 garage (Jay Allard) and VPD were there
+
#** 3 June 6:00 - 9:30 am - Philips Ave overpass sponsored by Seaspan.
529 now includes West Van encourage registration and get a decal
+
# Active Transportation Article - story about Peter's 36 daily rides, 14 km each way, to the BC Cancer Agency last fall was submitted by Heather to the North Shore News.
try to ban cable locks
+
# Call For Proposals: Adult Recreational Cycling (Road or Hybrid) from the North Vancouver Recreation & Culture Commission
bike racks DNV will put standarsdizes ones
+
#*The Commission in partnership with the City of North Vancouver is seeking a provider to deliver adult cycling classes to beginner and intermediate riders.
get commercial units to provide racks and locks
+
#* The program should include education or hands-on learning related to appropriate attire, bike maintenance, road safety and riding skills. 
S/N not good decal is better
+
#* (http://www.nvrc.ca/about-us/documents/cycling_program_proposal.pdf)
suggest we register bike at our BTWW station  
+
we should wrtite DNV and CNV
+
 
+
 
+
tactical contact list
+
get people out to council meeting
+
use HUB membership list
+
 
+
5. Martyn
+
wnat ot orgnize a group bike ride engineers and planners to show infrastruxtur
+
get outside experts
+
Jeff Lee HUB board member not
+
DNV workshop on 3 may?
+
6. Proclamstions for BTWW
+
Antje for rhe DNV and heather arranged for CNV
+
also get councilors to ride their bikes to work
+
7. teaching bike skills like pedalheads
+
8. Antje talked to John Calimete
+
9.  DNV
+
Antje will finalzie letter on LynnValley
+
Don suggests Armadillos if we can't get separated lanes -could be a pilot project
+
workshop with prof from UBC on safety of differnet types of bike  
+
cnv – heather letter
+
Hub leeter to get ffunding
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
#*NSMBA, other bike groups
+
#*Differently abled
+
# Infrastructure Ride (Martyn and Tony)
+
# Proclamations for Bike to Work Week (Antje)
+
# Active Transportation Article - North Shore News (Heather)
+
# Call For Proposals: Adult Recreational Cycling (Road or Hybrid)from the North Vancouver Recreation & Culture Commission
+
 
# Municipalities
 
# Municipalities
#* CNV Update (10 min Heather)
+
#* CNV Update
#** Delegation in October 2016
+
#** A delegation to Council is being planned for October 2016
#** East Keith and Grand Boulevard
+
#** East Keith and Grand Boulevard is still a contentious issue due to plans to install separated single-direction bike paths on the perimeter of the park and pave the central path for pedestrians only.
#* DNV Update (10 min Antje)
+
#* DNV Update
#** Lynn Valley Road bike lanes
+
#** Antje is incorporating our comments into a HUB letter on plans for Lynn Valley Road bike lanes, including through the Hwy 1 underpass.
#** Council workshop on AAA bike network / Kay Teschke
+
#** She will suggest Armadillos if we can't get separated lanes which could be viewed as a pilot project.
#* DWV Update (10 min Peter)
+
#** A Council workshop on AAA bike network and the safety of different types of bike infrastructure featuring Kay Teschke from the UBC Cycling in Cities research program is being planned.
#** HUB letter on Keith Road Safety Improvements
+
#* DWV Update
#** Response from DWV on Spirit Trail Safety Improvements
+
#** A response was received to our HUB letter on Keith Road Safety Improvements saying they plan to proceed in early May with plans to finish paving and add a bike lane for westbound cyclists.
#** Meeting with John Calimente on 26 April
+
#** The latest response from DWV on Spirit Trail Safety Improvements said they would soon be fixing the problem at the intersection with Capilano Road.
 
+
#** A meeting with transportation planner, John Calimente, is now scheduled for 4 May.
 
+
Notes 14 April
+
sybil, fiona, rob, Nelson, Martyn, Fred, erika, dianne,Tony, Don, Peter, Greg, Antje, Ann
+
 
+
 
+
fiona
+
– emergnecy planning meeting debriefing
+
Anastasia wants a list of intereted participants
+
Emergency prearedness week on 2 May
+
bikes have access that cars can,t get to
+
Anastai will brie her boss and we may get an opportunity in October
+
 
+
Bike Day in Canada 30 May on civic plaza 4-6 pm
+
Save on Food possible
+
RCMP
+
2 rides 5 and 10 km
+
HUB table
+
north shore bike shop
+
evolution bikes
+
north shore safety council will do a rodeo
+
need to advertise it better
+
wants to get a well known athlete
+
applied for a grant to give out gifts to particioants
+
suggest contact Endless Biking in Lynn Valley
+
 
+
Events
+
1. Glen eagles bikefest 10-12 am
+
we have our own tent Ann will pick it up
+
display stadn from HUB
+
 
+
2. MEC
+
tent from HUB HQ
+
display stand from HUB HQ
+
Mark with transporter
+
BTWW
+
1st narrows (HUB) 2nd narrows (HUB_NS)
+
CNV in Oasis and Hope centre  mid lonsdales
+
Obsession Bikes wants to come to our station
+
we need to tell HUB when we want our on Thursday afternoon Dianne wiil contact HUB
+
 
+
3. Parades Alex Boston lynn Valley Days next meeting 12 May
+
4. Bike theft
+
Dianne 529 garage  (Jay Allard) and VPD were there
+
529 now includes West Van encourage registration and get a decal
+
try to ban cable locks
+
bike racks DNV will put standarsdizes ones
+
get commercial units to provide racks and locks
+
S/N not good decal is better
+
suggest we register bike at our BTWW station
+
we should wrtite DNV and CNV
+
 
+
 
+
tactical contact list
+
get people out to council meeting
+
use HUB membership list
+
 
+
5. Martyn
+
wnat ot orgnize a group bike ride engineers and planners to show infrastruxtur
+
get outside experts
+
Jeff Lee HUB board member not
+
DNV workshop on 3 may?
+
6. Proclamstions for BTWW
+
Antje for rhe DNV and heather arranged for CNV
+
also get councilors to ride their bikes to work
+
7. teaching bike skills like pedalheads
+
8. Antje talked to John Calimete
+
9.  DNV
+
Antje will finalzie letter on LynnValley
+
Don suggests Armadillos if we can't get separated lanes -could be a pilot project
+
workshop with prof from UBC on safety of differnet types of bike
+
cnv – heather letter
+
Hub leeter to get ffunding
+

Latest revision as of 11:58, 12 May 2016

  1. Attendance: Antje, Peter S, Tony (Chair), Martyn, Fiona, Dianne, Nelson, Fred, Erika, Don, Sibylle, Greg, Anne
  2. Emergency planning meeting (held just prior to this meeting) debriefing
    • Anastasia wants a list of interested participants
    • Emergency prearedness week on 2 May
    • Bikes have access to places that cars can't get to
    • Anastasia will brief her boss and we may get an opportunity participate further in October
  3. Bike Day in Canada
    • 30 May on the NV civic plaza 4-6 pm.
    • There will be 2 rides 5 and 10 km.
    • North Shore Safety Council will do a rodeo and hope to involve Save on Food possibly the RCMP, Endless Biking in Lynn Valley, a north shore bike shop and Evolution bikes.
    • There will be a HUB table and we would like to get a well known athlete to participate.
    • We need to advertise it better and have applied for a grant to give out gifts to participants
  4. Review and planning for upcoming events
    • Gleneagles Bikefest Saturday, May 28 10am-1pm at the Gleneagles Community Centre\
    • MEC Bikefest Saturday, May 28 - Would anyone in the committee be interested in leading a slow/easy ride to teach people about safe commuting and safe city riding?
    • Canada Bike Day Monday, May 30 (Fiona Walsh)
    • Bike to Work Week - Obsession to sponsor?
    • The May meeting will discuss additional events: West Van Community Day (4 June), North Van Canada Day (1 July) and Lynn Valley Days (18 June).
  5. Bike Theft
    • Dianne briefed the group on the recent meeting of the HUB bike theft committee.
    • 529 garage with Jay Allard was discussed and VPD were there.
    • 529 now includes West Van - we should encourage cyclists to register and get a decal.
    • Due to their ease of cutting it was suggested to try to ban cable locks.
    • DNV will plans to intall standarsdized bike racks.
    • We should try to get commercial units to provide racks and locks.
    • It was suggested that we register bike at our BTWW station.
  6. Tactical Contact List
    • Tony suggested that we create a list of important groups that we communicate with such as all bike shops, North Shore Mountain Biking Association (NSMBA) and other bike groups.
  7. Infrastructure Ride
    • Now that we have better weather it was suggest that we conduct more group rides to sites that are in need of improved infrastructure and invite engineers and planners to join us.
  8. Bike to Work Week
    • 30 May through 3 June
    • Antje has arranged for Proclamations for BTWW from the DNV and Heather from the CNV.
    • Our HUB-NS station will be at the north end of the Iron Workers Memorial Bridge from 4-6 PM on 2 Thursday 2 June.
    • We will be able to use our new tent and will need to arrange donated refreshments and a bike shop for minor repairs and tune-ups
    • We can volunteer at other other North Shore BTWW locations and sponsors which so far (up to 11 May) are as follows:
      • 31 May 4-6 pm - 2nd and Bewicke sponsored by City of North Vancouver and Giant.
      • 1 June 4-6 pm - East side of north end of Lions Gate Bridge - HUB run but District of West Vancouver sponsor.
      • 2 June 4-6 pm - 14th and Argyle in West Vancouver - run and sponsored by District of West Vancouver.
      • 2 June 6:30 - 9 am - Lions Gate Hospital sponsored by Vancouver Coastal Health.
      • 3 June 6:00 - 9:30 am - Philips Ave overpass sponsored by Seaspan.
  9. Active Transportation Article - story about Peter's 36 daily rides, 14 km each way, to the BC Cancer Agency last fall was submitted by Heather to the North Shore News.
  10. Call For Proposals: Adult Recreational Cycling (Road or Hybrid) from the North Vancouver Recreation & Culture Commission
    • The Commission in partnership with the City of North Vancouver is seeking a provider to deliver adult cycling classes to beginner and intermediate riders.
    • The program should include education or hands-on learning related to appropriate attire, bike maintenance, road safety and riding skills.
    • (http://www.nvrc.ca/about-us/documents/cycling_program_proposal.pdf)
  11. Municipalities
    • CNV Update
      • A delegation to Council is being planned for October 2016
      • East Keith and Grand Boulevard is still a contentious issue due to plans to install separated single-direction bike paths on the perimeter of the park and pave the central path for pedestrians only.
    • DNV Update
      • Antje is incorporating our comments into a HUB letter on plans for Lynn Valley Road bike lanes, including through the Hwy 1 underpass.
      • She will suggest Armadillos if we can't get separated lanes which could be viewed as a pilot project.
      • A Council workshop on AAA bike network and the safety of different types of bike infrastructure featuring Kay Teschke from the UBC Cycling in Cities research program is being planned.
    • DWV Update
      • A response was received to our HUB letter on Keith Road Safety Improvements saying they plan to proceed in early May with plans to finish paving and add a bike lane for westbound cyclists.
      • The latest response from DWV on Spirit Trail Safety Improvements said they would soon be fixing the problem at the intersection with Capilano Road.
      • A meeting with transportation planner, John Calimente, is now scheduled for 4 May.
Personal tools