Meeting Summary

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Revision as of 16:01, 13 January 2019 by JayJar (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Regular meeting on January 10, 2019 at 6:30pm - 8:30pm at the North Vancouver City Library (14th/Lonsdale) in the Don Preston Boardroom (2nd floor).

Attendees: Peter S, Fred, Erika, Jay, Don P, Martyn, Peter T, Fiona, Lora, Ryan

Contents

Events

  • Dec 17th - Don & Heather attended Lower Lynn Improvements Media Event - Press Release
  • Bike to Work Week - May 27-Jun2 2019

2019 Objectives - Don

  • A couple proposals:
    • Define our Long term vision for cycling on the North Shore - all to consider a simple, one line statement that reflects our Vision if asked by council, media etc.
    • Meeting with all Mayors & Councillors
      • Prepare Agenda for meetings including the following questions:
    1. Ask if they themselves cycle and if not, why not?
    2. Ask what % of Transport budget they think should be dedicated to “Active Transport” - this should be with reference to the current OCP target.
    3. Ask what are their highest priorities for “Active Transport” and by when.
    4. Share our Goals.
    5. Ask what are the major impediments to achieving these goals & what can HUB-NS can do to help make this happen?
      • Arrange trial meeting with a cycling-friendly councilor to assess questions and potentially refine.
      • Arrange meeting between Liaison teams & each Mayor & Councillor (before mid Feb?).
    • Discussion of potential goals included appointing an Active Transportation Coordinator (or similar) for each municipality or shared amongst North Shore municipalities.


General

  • Infrastructure Funding Tracker - this is used by HUB HQ to summarize funding applied for by municipality and the resulting disbursements. Intended to highlight who is making the most of available funding.
  • 2018 Infrastructure Successes Map - this is compiled by HUB HQ to highlight 20 in 20 and major cycling projects completed in the calendar year. Don and Jay added items for DNV/CNV including new Green Necklace segment along 23rd and the Lynn Valley bike lane under Hwy 1. Peter noted no new DWV projects. This includes completed projects, not funding announcements or planning studies.


City of North Vancouver - Erika/Heather/Julian

  • Erika and Heather met with Jennifer Draper and Daniel Watson. Jennifer is the Manager of Transportation Planning (formerly in Engineering). Daniel came with her to the planning department.
  • Jennifer is spearheading the new long term transportation plan. The current horizon stops in 2020, but the update will take it to 2030.
  • Bicycle Master Plan (BMP) is being updated. HUB will participate.
  • Questions from staff for HUB include what is our HQ working on from a policy perspective? What is our vision?
  • Daniel noted he is getting requests from HUB HQ. Action - Don to confirm who is the liaison and why they are not including the local committee? If it is a Translink issue, Fred should be copied, otherwise the North Shore committee should be copied.
  • Comments from staff on Ungap the Map. Concerns as to how it is being communicated - makes staff look bad if councilors are provided list of gaps without context. Action - Don to confirm with Andrew at HQ what the UtM is being used for and how it is being communicated.
  • Staff are busy with the B-Line priority improvements on Marine Drive. HUB to ensure cycling is under consideration. Opportunity to improve parallel routes such as 15th Street W.
  • Elephant's Feet pavement markings being added to 27th Street crossing of Lonsdale to support new Green Necklace segment.
  • 16th Street W was discussed. City is reviewing the feasibility of removing parking to improve cycling conditions, but the challenge is there is significant utilization of the spaces by adjacent condo residents.
  • Conflict points at driveways along the new 23rd Street segment of Green Necklace were reviewed with the City.
  • A separate bicycle priority phase eastbound at 19th Street / Boulevard Crescent was requested and City is reviewing.
  • Councillor Valente is proposing a motion to have Bike Valet services at major City events. Erika to post details on the message board.
  • The issue of bike facility design through parks was raised as these are often done by separate staff members. Want to avoid Jones style pathways.

District of North Vancouver - Antje/Jay

  • Lynn Valley Road northeast of Mountain Highway and Upper Mountain Highway - potential for adding uphill bike lanes to link recreational areas
  • Mountain Highway north of Highway 1 - potential for road diet and uphill bike lane
  • Orwell Pathway construction impacts
  • Items for next meeting
    • Cycling & Work Zones
    • Prioritizing cycling routes for wayfinding
    • HUB priorities


District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter


Translink / MOTI - Fred

  • e-Bikes on Buses, Skytrain, Seabus, and West Coast Express - clarification
  • from HUB HQ meeting with TransLink: SeaBus by bike, Lonsdale Quay parking, Phibbs parking & bike share space
Personal tools