Election 2011: Guy Heywood
Here are my replies. All the best to you and the VACC. It has been great to see you participating in our bike related debates. In particular the Low Level road. The only comment I would make is that you were concerned more about the bike community interest in the details of the project and forgot to make it clear that you want to see the project go ahead. At least I think you do but that was not clear in the presentation.
1. What modes of transportation do you normally use within Metro Vancouver? Do you ever use a bike for transportation in your municipality?
I usually take transit to Vancouver to work. I have biked a couple of times but the clothing and showering complications have made it difficult for me to do this regularly.
2. How would you support and encourage cycling for transportation to promote healthy and livable communities?
I have been a member of the Joint Bicycle Advisory Cttee of the City and the District. I have voted consistently in favour of bike friendly initiatives at Council in my term.
3. Do you think the current level of funding for cycling in your municipality is adequate?
4. What would you do to ensure a sustainable and adequate source of cycling funding during your term in office?
I would try to increase it. At this time I am not sure of the level and how to fund it on a sustainable basis.
5. What is your level of interest in a public bike-share system integrated with the transit system?
I am very interested in seeing it but frankly I think we need to be a follower and not a leader in this respect because of: a) our hills and b) our relatively small size. If there are scale economies to this it will work better in Vancouver than here.
6. What role do you think the municipality has in supporting and promoting cycling education for children, cyclists and motorists?
I think that the City of North Vancouver has been very positive in its approach to cycling but at the same time avoided for the most part any backlash from the community in the way we have seen in Vancouver. Thanks for the interest.
Return to Election 2011 page