Election 2011: Bob Fearnley
Dear North Shore Chapter of the Vancouver Area Cycling Coalition
My answers are:
1. What modes of transportation do you normally use within Metro Vancouver? Do you ever use a bike for transportation in your municipality?
Walking, transit, and the family car. I am now sort of past my biking years but 30 years ago, I biked to work.
2. How would you support and encourage cycling for transportation to promote healthy and livable communities?
Provide safe lanes for bikes trip on major routes. Provide bike storage in all new buildings, promote showers and change rooms at places of work.
3. Do you think the current level of funding for cycling in your municipality is adequate?
Our City has done a good job in providing the resources bikers need in our community but we can always do more.
4. What would you do to ensure a sustainable and adequate source of cycling funding during your term in office?
This hasn’t been an issue in the City of North Vancouver, we support bikes.
5. What is your level of interest in a public bike-share system integrated with the transit system?
It is an interesting idea and I have looked at some programs in other Cities. I would support such a system if the operational bugs could be worked out.
6. What role do you think the municipality has in supporting and promoting cycling education for children, cyclists and motorists?
A municipality needs provide infrastructure such as bike racks and bike lanes. We need to encourage bike storage in all new buildings. A Bike Committee or a seat at the table on a Transportation Committee is also necessary so bikers can voice their concerns.
Return to Election 2011 page