2021-05-06 Agenda

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Revision as of 18:36, 5 May 2021 by Peter Scholefield (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

HUB North Shore Committee regular meetings will be held online using Zoom, on the first Thursday of every month at 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Everybody is welcome.

Online conference call at https://zoom.us/j/98976249728?pwd=NE9BM1RUTjlScUp0c0VIbWFlMG5LUT09

By phone: call 778-907-2071, Meeting ID: 989 7624 9728, Passcode: 166390
One tap mobile: +17789072071,,98976249728#,,,,*166390#

Contents

General

  • Agenda additions
  • Introductions
  • Recruiting:
    • DNV Liaisons
    • Vice Chair
    • Wiki-Master



Esplanade Complete Street project

  • Mo Bot, Project Manager of Public Realm Infrastructure, for the City of North Vancouver will provide an update on the Esplanade Complete Street project. They are currently working through early design work and planning for Spring engagement – likely beginning in May. Mo will present the current design, share thinking about our trade-offs and choices, and have a discussion with the group.

The complete corridor design, and a summary of feedback from phase 1 (organized into seven themes) can be found here: https://letstalk.cnv.org/esplanade-complete-street


Upcoming Events

  • Spring Go By Bike Week - May 31 to June 4 -
    • Online only, no celebrations stations


MoTI Cycle Gaps Project

Last week consultants for the Ministry of Transportation & infrastructure reached out to HUB North Shore. They are tasked with:

developing a master list of regionally significant cycling gaps on MoTI infrastructure in each sub-region within the South Coast Region (from the Sunshine Coast, across Metro Vancouver to the Fraser Valley). For this project, a regionally significant cycling gap is on MoTI infrastructure and that decreases regional connectivity for cyclists between urban centres. They are working with agency partners across the region to identify these gaps and reconcile the information with stakeholder priorities. The list of regionally significant gaps within each sub-region will be used to assist MoTI with selecting new cycling infrastructure projects when opportunities and funding become available.

HUB has been asking MoTI to do this for a long time. We need to assemble our list and share it with them at a meeting next week. This input is CRITICAL as this master list will probably guide MoTI's budget and infrastructure building for the next 5-10 years. We MUST make sure that the right gaps are at the top of the list. We have started to compile our list and need to ensure it is complete and discuss our priorities for these gaps. Note that a GAP can be either a section along either Hwy 1 or Hwy 99, OR a crossing/intersection on either of these highways. The Gaps are limited to only those under MoTI's jurisdiction, which for the North Shore is the 2 highway corridors and 1st & 2nd Narrows Bridges.


City of North Vancouver - Erika/Nadia

Esplanade Complete Street – Spring Engagement

Mobility Strategy

St Andrews Safety Improvements

Micromobility

  • MOTI announced the approval of electric kick scooter pilot projects in six BC municipalities, including CNV, DNV and DWV.
  • It is now up to local governments to pass bylaws to identify where these devices will be permitted in their municipality.
  • Media release: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021TRAN0042-000523
  • Zachary Mathurin is the North Shore Mobility Options Coordinator and is leading the roll out of e-bikes and e-scooters on the North Shore (all three municipalities).
  • North Shore is planning to allow the legal use of privately owned e-scooters before introducing any shared program.

Kings Mill Walk master plan

1st Street

  • Pooling areas fixed, paint is coming, no date provided yet. Work completed recently for the new letdown that was added on the south side of the mid-block crossing (near Rona).

Green Necklace on E 21st/Eastern Ave

  • Construction at 21st will start sometime soon and in the meantime there's a temporary patch on the MUP.

St Georges

  • Flex posts and low curbs being installed on the north side of 13th at St Georges, to make the buffered painted lane safer.

ITC - Dana & Jonathan

  • ANY UPDATES?


District of North Vancouver - Fred/Don

  • Liaisons meeting regularly with Ingrid (DNV). Last meeting was Mar 30th.
    • discussed HUB Priorities and 2021 plans
    • Upper LV Road (Phase I) from TC to Peters Road in 2021. Expect DNV web site update soon for more information.
    • Peters to Dempsey planned for 2022 but may be included in Phase I. DNV expecting a lot of push back from community on upper LVR. Looking for HUB member support, especially from those living on this corridor.
    • Upper LVR improvements contingent on obtaining third party infrastructure funding. Assuming funding is successful it means the "DNV will be spending 50% of the transportation budget on active transportation according to Mayor Little."
    • The DNV will be expediting improvements to the Mountain Hwy corridor to Lynn Valley town centre to address cycling impediments. Awaiting details.
    • Liaisons requested road paving schedule. Paving section of LVR between Molly Nye to Mountain Hwy will depend on a sanitary sewer project on that route. Ingrid will share complete schedule. Possibly as soon as next week.
    • Bridge replacement over Mosquito Creek to eliminate steps is a Parks Board project (not a cycling amenity) and time frame is unknown. There is a narrow at grade crossing some metres downstream connecting to a gravel path, more suitable to trail bikes.

Mtn. Hwy to Peters Road

  • Currently in the design stage
  • HUB Liaisons have been asked to provide input
  • In general terms there will be a protected bike lane on both sides of Lynn Valley Rd as part of phase I. (Mountain Hwy to Peters Rd.)
  • Design looks promising, HUB provided feedback on intersections and signage
  • Will need to make sure that design meshes with plans for LV TC bike plans
  • Buffer posts on southern LVR will be installed by Valley Traffic. It is with a new base design.
  • LVR & Mtn Hwy intersection will get bike boxes with let down.

Arborlyn Connector

  • Draft designs for a MUP on east and west side of Mountain Hwy north of the overpass. DNV is in discussions internally as to whether both sides of the road be done simultaneously or the west side first as it is less complicated


Phibbs to Keith

  • Brought up issues with Orwell (poor lane condition). Phibbs will be done before Orwell will be addressed. At this point all that could be done at Orwell at this time would be brush cleaning. DNV was waiting for crushed road material (grindings) for pot holes. This work is now completed.
  • Travel by bike or on foot from Keith Rd. bridge to east Seymour via Fern Street Bridge is no more as this bridge has been demolished. The contractor has been slow to open travel over the new overpass connecting with Mt. Seymour Parkway. They seem to have no problem with workers parking their vehicles in their "work zones" while ignoring cycle access.

Capilano Rd/Highway Underpass MOTI project

  • Discussed, focused on the need to make sure project connects with Hugo Ray bike route.
  • The route improvements around the tennis court are not in the scope of work but MoTI thinks it could be funded by maintenance budget.

Other

  • Need to ask about budget for missing Wayfinding signage
  • DNV did not buy bike path sweeper in 2020 due to COVID-19, but not sure if it is in the 2021 budget request.
  • Started discussion of adding protection to bike lanes on Mountain Highway south of the Hwy Overpass. DNV however is adverse to providing protection, pointing out that there are alternative safe routes when MoTI project is completed.


District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter/Mike

  • Postponed plans for a car-free or family bike day in June to hopefully being held in September.
  • Our input to the DWV RFP for a consultant to update the 2010 DWV Strategic Transportation Plan.
  • Bike to School initiatives in the District.

MOTI - Don/Jonathan

  • Lower Lynn Interchanges - Monthly meeting
    • Mountain Hwy Interchange
      • 4m MUP along the north side westbound Mtn Hwy offramp will have 10 "refuges", so the hill will be a series of 10m 15% pitches with 2m flats (refuge). Should open in June/July.
      • The maze-gate on MUP between the bridges will be removed in next few weeks
    • Mt Seymour parkway/Keith Interchange
      • bike detour in place until June (to demolish old bridge and complete south side of new one)
      • New 4m wide MUP on side of Mt Seymour pkwy no open, new 3m one on south side will be completed by early June
    • Main-dollarton interchange
      • onramp to IWMB west sidewalk closed until July (detour via east sidewalk)
      • new 4m MUP on south side of main-dollarton will open in May/June
      • new 4m MUP on north side of main-dollarton should open in June
    • Phibbs exchange upgrade
      • Construction should should start in late summer
  • BC Economic Recovery funding - Completed
    • started in Nov, must be spend by March!
    • HUB provided feedback to design team (Parsons) on near final design of Lynn Valley Rd underpass and Capilano Rd interchange
    • 3 North Shore Projects:
      • Lynn Valley Rd Underpass - Design only (ready to put out to tender) - reviewed 2nd draft
        • have widened bikeway to 2.5m next to 2m pedestrian path, right though underpass
        • cross-ride + crosswalk added to intersection N of overpass
        • on-ramp slip-lane is removed and off-ramp corner sharpened to improve visibility and reduce speeds
      • Capilano Road interchange - Design only (ready to put out to tender) - reviewed 2nd draft
        • They have widened the bikelanes on Capilano Road to 2.5m to allow passing (for much of the distance)
        • Asked for larger waiting spaces at intersection crossings & islands (NB)
        • Will have a separate meeting to discuss repairing & improving connection from North Intersection to North sidewalk and thus Hugo Ray in West van
      • Lion Gate Bridge improvements
        • barriers on both sides of the North end of the bridge have been extended a couple weeks ago.
        • some improved wayfinding signage should be installed on the causeway.
  • Lane Control upgrades on Lions Gate Bridge & Causeway
    • Initial meeting on 6-April -> work & closures in the summer
  • Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study: Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
    • Still waiting for draft report


Communications & Outreach - Heather/Antje/Giacomo/Paul

Planning

  • Communications = Paul, Antje, Giacomo, Heather
    • let us know if there is something we should communicate about - blocked bike lanes, new infrastructure, etc.
  • We are coordinating our approach to communications on groups.io, Facebook and Twitter
    • Facebook and Twitter have increased in terms of numbers of followers and numbers of original posts
    • Number of posts on FB up %169 | 200% increase in comments shares and likes.
    • Number of posts on Twitter up 104% followers up 30 for total of 1311
  • Targets:
    • double Facebook followers by Dec 2021 and add +300 to Twitter
    • Commitment to send out 2 google group emails per week
    • New North Van Rides episodes on Youtube - subscribe to Heather Drugge
  • Call for comms topix
  • Still looking for help with photos / videos



Developers - Fred/Paul & Peter

  • Currently active:
    • West Van
      • Marine Drive
    • CNV
      • Habourside
    • DNV
      • Maplewood
      • Lynn Creek TC
        • Interesting redevelopment at Marie Place (off Crown St east of Mtn Hwy) in the Lynn Creek town Centre. DNV council allowed it to go to first reading at March 29 /2021 council meeting. Eleven single family homes to be replaced by two 6 storey apartments. Unique to the plan is to provide bicycle parking facilities on each floor of both buildings. The same developer owns a large property to the west bordering Mountain Hwy which includes the Dykoff Nursery lands for which they are hoping to get council approval. Mayor Little commented that these projects need wider support from the community for council to consider them. Those who spoke in favour tended to have a business relationship. HUB NS is aware that without large scale redevelopment Lynn Creek will not see better cycling infrastructure. A HUB member presence might make a difference. The concept of locating bike rooms in upper floors is gaining traction.



Personal tools