2021-04-01 Agenda

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Jump to: navigation, search

Starting in April 2021 HUB North Shore Committee regular meetings will change to using Zoom, still on the first Thursday of every month at 6:30pm - 8:30pm.

Everybody is welcome.

Online conference call at https://zoom.us/j/98976249728?pwd=NE9BM1RUTjlScUp0c0VIbWFlMG5LUT09, It's pretty similar to join.me, and I will start the meeting around 6:15 so people can get connected and try it out.

By phone: call 778-907-2071, Meeting ID: 989 7624 9728, Passcode: 166390

One tap mobile: +17789072071,,98976249728#,,,,*166390#


  • Agenda additions
  • Introductions


Contents

General

  • Recruiting:
    • DNV Liaisons
    • Vice Chair
    • Wiki-Master



Events - Fred/Tove

  • Spring Bike2Work Week - May 31 to June 4 -
    • "Knowledge HUBs' instead of Celebration stations


City of North Vancouver - Erika/Nadia

Welcome Nadia!

  • Thrilled to announce that Nadia Fourik has stepped up to co-liaison!
  • Would anyone else like to lighten the load by joining us?

Esplanade Complete Street – Spring Engagement

  • City is pushing back Esplanade consultation by a few weeks in order to incorporate more detail. Mo Bot will join the next HUB meeting on May 6th to provide a verbal update, present the design and gather input. In the meantime, update from Mo: "Esplanade is an important street that needs to serve many different people in many different ways. City of North Vancouver is advancing the preliminary detailed design of the Esplanade Complete Street corridor to ensure we are building a street that works better for everyone. Our proposed design rebalances the limited public space to achieve our design goals of:
    • increasing safety while providing dedicated and separated space for all modes and for people of all ages and abilities,
    • creating a more comfortable and vibrant street,
    • supporting a thriving commercial district including ensuring good curbside access for businesses, and
    • delivering ongoing improvements to the operation of the street for vehicles, buses, and trucks.
  • Design options have been primarily considered through the lens of the Council-approved Safe Mobility Strategy to ensure outcomes create a safer street for everyone, regardless of how you choose to travel to the area. The Project Team is looking forward to providing an overview of the project design and to discuss the proposed changes with HUB members in May.”

Mobility Strategy

  • Preliminary goals and strategies of the Mobility Strategy were presented to Council on March 8, and staff were given support to use this as the basis for community and stakeholder consultation.
  • Visit the City’s Let’s Talk page to provide input and feedback. The deadline for feedback is Friday, April 30. https://letstalk.cnv.org/join-us-on-a-mobility-journey
  • We will be meeting with City staff in April for high-level input

St Andrews Safety Improvements

  • Making improvements along St Andrews from Keith Road to 13th Street.
  • This section of St Andrews is a wide, local street that is well-used by pedestrians, a designated bike route and an important connection to the Green Necklace, Lions Gate Hospital and other amenities.
  • Changes: sidewalk infill (on East side of the road) + traffic calming.
  • Timeline: summer 2021.
  • Provide input: https://letstalk.cnv.org/st-andrews-safety-improvements-project
  • We plan to write an official letter to respond as well. Your thoughts — protected bike lane or slow street, folks?

Micromobility

  • MOTI announced the approval of electric kick scooter pilot projects in six BC municipalities, including CNV, DNV and DWV.
  • It is now up to local governments to pass bylaws to identify where these devices will be permitted in their municipality.
  • Media release: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021TRAN0042-000523

Kings Mill Walk master plan

1st Street

  • Pooling areas fixed, paint is coming, no date provided yet. Work completed recently for the new letdown that was added on the south side of the mid-block crossing (near Rona).

Green Necklace on E 21st/Eastern Ave

  • Due to work determining cedar tree root structure, a small section of the MUP by the tennis court will be removed next week and area access limited.

ITC - Dana & Jonathan

  • ANY UPDATES?

District of North Vancouver - Fred/Don

  • Liaisons meeting regularly with Ingrid (DNV). Last meeting was Mar 30th.
    • discussed HUB Priorities and 2021 plans
    • Upper LV Road (Phase I) from TC to Peters Road in 2021. Expect DNV web site update soon for more information.
    • Peters to Dempsey planned for 2022 but may be included in Phase I. DNV expecting a lot of push back from community on upper LVR. Looking for HUB member support, especially from those living on this corridor.
    • Upper LVR improvements contingent on obtaining third party infrastructure funding. Assuming funding is successful it means the "DNV will be spending 50% of the transportation budget on active transportation according to Mayor Little."
    • The DNV will be expediting improvements to the Mountain Hwy corridor to Lynn Valley town centre to address cycling impediments. Awaiting details.
    • Liaisons requested road paving schedule. Paving section of LVR between Molly Nye to Mountain Hwy will depend on a sanitary sewer project on that route. Ingrid will share complete schedule. Possibly as soon as next week.
    • Bridge replacement over Mosquito Creek to eliminate steps is a Parks Board project (not a cycling amenity) and time frame is unknown. There is a narrow at grade crossing some metres downstream connecting to a gravel path, more suitable to trail bikes.

Mtn. Hwy to Peters Road

  • Currently in the design stage
  • HUB Liaisons have been asked to provide input
  • In general terms there will be a protected bike lane on both sides of Lynn Valley Rd as part of phase I. (Mountain Hwy to Peters Rd.)
  • Design looks promising, HUB provided feedback on intersections and signage
  • Will need to make sure that design meshes with plans for LV TC bike plans
  • Buffer posts on southern LVR will be installed by Valley Traffic. It is with a new base design.
  • LVR & Mtn Hwy intersection will get bike boxes with let down.


Arborlyn Connector

  • Draft designs for a MUP on east and west side of Mountain Hwy north of the overpass. DNV is in discussions internally as to whether both sides of the road be done simultaneously or the west side first as it is less complicated


Phibbs to Keith

  • Brought up issues with Orwell (poor lane condition). Phibbs will be done before Orwell will be addressed. At this point all that could be done at Orwell at this time would be brush cleaning. DNV waiting for crushed road material (grindings) for pot holes.
  • Travel by bike or on foot from Keith Rd. bridge to east Seymour via Fern Street Bridge is no more as this bridge has been demolished. The contractor has been slow to open travel over the new overpass connecting with Mt. Seymour Parkway.

Capilano Rd/Highway Underpass MOTI project

  • Discussed, focused on the need to make sure project connects with Hugo Ray bike route.
  • The route improvements around the tennis court are not in the scope of work but MoTI thinks it could be funded by maintenance budget.

Other

  • Need to ask about budget for missing Wayfinding signage
  • DNV did not buy bike path sweeper in 2020 due to COVID-19, but not sure if it is in the 2021 budget request.
  • Started discussion of adding protection to bike lanes on Mountain Highway south of the Hwy Overpass. DNV however is adverse to providing protection, pointing out that there are alternative safe routes when MoTI project is completed.

.

District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter/Mike

  • 26 March Meeting with Park Royal concerning HUB HQ's Bikeability Assessment
  • 31 March meeting DWV staff
  • proposal by Councillor Thompson for a ciclovia on the first Sunday of each month

MOTI - Don/Jonathan

  • Lower Lynn Interchanges - Monthly meeting
    • Mountain Hwy Interchange
      • 4m MUP along the north side westbound Mtn Hwy offramp will have 10 "refuges", so the hill will be a series of 10m 15% pitches with 2m flats (refuge). Should open in June/July.
      • The maze-gate on MUP between the bridges will be removed in next few weeks
    • Mt Seymour parkway/Keith Interchange
      • bike detour in place until June (to demolish old bridge and complete south side of new one)
      • New 4m wide MUP on side of Mt Seymour pkwy no open, new 3m one on south side will be completed by early June
    • Main-dollarton interchange
      • onramp to IWMB west sidewalk closed until July (detour via east sidewalk)
      • new 4m MUP on south side of main-dollarton will open in May/June
      • new 4m MUP on north side of main-dollarton should open in June
    • Phibbs exchange upgrade
      • Construction should should start in late summer
  • BC Economic Recovery funding - Completed
    • started in Nov, must be spend by March!
    • HUB provided feedback to design team (Parsons) on near final design of Lynn Valley Rd underpass and Capilano Rd interchange
    • 3 North Shore Projects:
      • Lynn Valley Rd Underpass - Design only (ready to put out to tender) - reviewed 2nd draft
        • have widened bikeway to 2.5m next to 2m pedestrian path, right though underpass
        • cross-ride + crosswalk added to intersection N of overpass
        • on-ramp slip-lane is removed and off-ramp corner sharpened to improve visibility and reduce speeds
      • Capilano Road interchange - Design only (ready to put out to tender) - reviewed 2nd draft
        • They have widened the bikelanes on Capilano Road to 2.5m to allow passing (for much of the distance)
        • Asked for larger waiting spaces at intersection crossings & islands (NB)
        • Will have a separate meeting to discuss repairing & improving connection from North Intersection to North sidewalk and thus Hugo Ray in West van
      • Lion Gate Bridge improvements
        • barriers on both sides of the North end of the bridge have been extended a couple weeks ago.
        • some improved wayfinding signage should be installed on the causeway.
  • Lane Control upgrades on Lions Gate Bridge & Causeway
    • Initial meeting on 6-April -> work & closures in the summer
  • Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study: Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
    • Still waiting for draft report

Communications & Outreach - Heather/Antje/Giacomo/Paul

Planning

  • Communications = Paul, Antje, Giacomo, Heather - let us know if there is something we should communicate about - blocked bike lanes, new infrastructure, etc.
  • We are coordinating our approach to communications on groups.io, Facebook and Twitter
  • Facebook and Twitter have increased in terms of numbers of followers and numbers of original posts
  • Number of posts on FB up %169 | 200% increase in comments shares and likes.
  • Number of posts on Twitter up 104% followers up 30 for total of 1311
  • Targets are to double Facebook followers by Dec 2021 and add +300 to Twitter
  • Commitment to send out 2 google group emails per week
  • New North Van Rides episodes on Youtube - subscribe to Heather Drugge
  • Call for comms topix
  • Still looking for help with photos / videos



Developers - Fred/Paul & Peter

  • Currently active:
    • West Van
      • Marine Drive
    • CNV
      • Habourside
    • DNV
      • Maplewood
      • Lynn Creek TC
        • Interesting redevelopment at Marie Place (off Crown St east of Mtn Hwy) in the Lynn Creek town Centre. DNV council allowed it to go to first reading at March 29 /2021 council meeting. Eleven single family homes to be replaced by two 6 storey apartments. Unique to the plan is to provide bicycle parking facilities on each floor of both buildings. The same developer owns a large property to the west bordering Mountain Hwy which includes the Dykoff Nursery lands for which they are hoping to get council approval. Mayor Little commented that these projects need wider support from the community for council to consider them. Those who spoke in favour tended to have a business relationship. HUB NS is aware that without large scale redevelopment Lynn Creek will not see better cycling infrastructure. A HUB member presence might make a difference. The concept of locating bike rooms in upper floors is gaining traction.



Personal tools