2020-08-13 Agenda

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with " HUB North Shore Committee holds regular meetings at 6:30pm - 8:30pm on the second Thursday of every month. Everybody is welcome. For our July meeting we will be using an on...")
 
(Developers - Fred/Don)
 
(26 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
HUB North Shore Committee holds regular meetings at 6:30pm - 8:30pm on the second Thursday of every month. Everybody is welcome.  
 
HUB North Shore Committee holds regular meetings at 6:30pm - 8:30pm on the second Thursday of every month. Everybody is welcome.  
For our July meeting we will be using an online conference call using https://join.me/ .  
+
For our August meeting we will be using an online conference call using https://join.me/868-277-869 .  
You can also phone in (audio only) at +1.778.654.8779,, #
+
You can also phone in (audio only) at +1.778.654.8779,,868-277-869 #
  
 
*Agenda additions
 
*Agenda additions
Line 29: Line 29:
 
** We will attend a future meeting once things calm down.
 
** We will attend a future meeting once things calm down.
 
-->
 
-->
<!--
+
 
 +
 
 +
 
 
===Events - Fred ===
 
===Events - Fred ===
* Fall Bike2Work Week - October - hopefully
+
* Fall Bike2Work Week - Sep-28-Oct-x -
-->
+
**earlier this year
 
+
**"Knowledge HUBs' instead of Celebration stations
 +
*** Covid compliant info distribution + bike Mechanics
 +
*** no food (unless they can get cliff bars or similar donated)
 +
**DNV want to do a Knowledge HUB station at IWMB
 +
***perhaps in morning? at the west side?
 +
***OR let them have our afternoon slot and just staff a HUB booth?
  
 
===Letters===
 
===Letters===
* 3 new ones - Don is preparing replies
+
* 4 new ones
**Jill re Marine Dr from Taylor Way to LGB
+
**Nancy re Marine Dr from Taylor Way to LGB - replied
**
+
**Tim re marine Drive @ 16th - replied
 
+
**Jill - path under Hwy at lynn creek and Main/dollarton pavement issues - replied
 +
**Rob - Bellevue slow street -
  
  
Line 60: Line 68:
 
** Signal at 3rd & St Andrews
 
** Signal at 3rd & St Andrews
  
 +
*'''East Keith'''
 +
** Status of bike lane plan?
  
 +
*'''CityFix app'''
 +
** Has anybody had success using this to fix street/signal issues, other than sweeping bike lanes?
  
 
===  District of North Vancouver - Don/Ryan ===
 
===  District of North Vancouver - Don/Ryan ===
Line 82: Line 94:
 
* Casano connector route to LV TC.
 
* Casano connector route to LV TC.
 
** Public consultation on hold
 
** Public consultation on hold
 
+
* Keith/Brooksbank intersection signal issues (Antje)
 +
* E Keith Rd plan status?
  
  
 
===District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter===
 
===District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter===
 
*Response to COVID-19 pandemic
 
*Response to COVID-19 pandemic
**Peter, Paul and Joe Weiler met online with John Calimente on 17 June to discuss a 3-phase implementation plan for slow streets for West Vancouver.
+
**On 21 July, Peter, Paul and Joe Weiler met with John Calimente to discuss feedback on the Bellevue slow streets implementation and subsequent phases of slow streets implementation.
**The phase 1 route along Bellevue Ave between 18th and 25th Streets was opened on 25 June - http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/index.php?title=File:Slow_Street_looking_west_at_21st_and_Bellevue_2020-07-07_IMG_2941.JPG
+
**John informed us that consideration and implementation of the next phases of slow streets, beyond Phase 2, including loops through Ambleside and Dundarave, has been postponed until next year due to insufficient resources available.
**Phase 1 intended to run through Summer but limited public information may be inhibiting use by pedestrians and cyclists.
+
**Having not heard from the Ambleside Dundarave Business Improvement Association (ADBIA), nor the District, we assume that consideration of plans for a Ciclovia for West Van has also been postponed until next year.
**We met again online on 30 June to discuss refinement to the proposed routes for phases 2 and 3.
+
**On 27 July, we received an email for our comment from John Calimente with proposed routes for future slow streets, including a phase 3 route in 2021 along Duchess/Esquimalt/Haywood Avenues.
**No schedule has yet been set for implementing phase 2.
+
**Just after the BC Day holiday weekend, Phase 2 of slow streets was implemented extending the Bellevue Avenue slow street signage to 31st Street along a route south of the railway tracks (http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/3/37/31st_and_Proctor_slow_streets_westward_extension_2020-08-06_IMG_3010.jpg.
*Park Royal Gateway Residences public hearing - it has been rescheduled for 16 July and both Paul and and Peter have written to the mayor and council in support of the additional 95 rental units and mentioning our satisfaction with the inclusion end-of-trip cycling facilities and the storage of a Cycling Without Age trishaw. There is no plan yet, but we are hopeful for a safe connection to and from the development for cyclists.
+
*On 16 July, at a public hearing, West Van Council, in a 4-3 decision, decided to allow Park Royal to proceed to the next step in their proposed addition of 95 rental units to the Gateway Residences development. Both Paul and and Peter had previously written to the mayor and council in support of the additional 95 rental units and mentioning our satisfaction with the inclusion end-of-trip cycling facilities and the storage of a Cycling Without Age trishaw. Peter intervened by telephone in support of the proposed addition at the public hearing.
*Cypress Village
+
*3rd annual 20-in-20 Infrastructure Challenge - on 23 July Evan Hammer at HUB HQ sent to John Calimente the 20 suggested minor cycling infrastructure improvements that Paul and Peter had proposed.
 
+
*In the 27 July email, John Calimente provided for our comment proposed changes to the West Vancouver bike network. This process of revising the West Van bike network map complicates our provision of input to update the HUB State of Cycling map.
 +
*Cypress Village - the community consultation process got underway in July in the context of Planning for the Upper Lands (https://www.westvancouverite.ca/upperlands). More detailed information and analysis will be added to the webpages throughout July and August, and there will be opportunities for small group discussions as well as a public survey.
  
  
 
=== MOTI - Antje/Don===  
 
=== MOTI - Antje/Don===  
*Lower Lynn Interchanges
 
**Active transportation safety audit of Mountain Hwy Interchange
 
**Potential bike path along east side of Hwy 1 between Main and Fern - expecting constant report in Aug
 
**Keith/Brooksbank intersection signal issues (CNV/DNV)
 
 
*Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
 
*Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
 
**Meeting on Jun-24 with Study team and consultants
 
**Meeting on Jun-24 with Study team and consultants
**Sent [[Media:2020-07-03_HUB-cycling-for-Hwy1-corridor.pdf|Input for Cycling Improvements for the Hwy 1 Corridor Study]].
+
**Sent [[Media:2020-07-03_HUB-cycling-for-Hwy1-corridor.pdf|Input for Cycling Improvements for the Hwy 1 Corridor Study]]
 +
** Team sent response to our input
 
*Maintenance of bridges, causeway
 
*Maintenance of bridges, causeway
 
**To follow up
 
**To follow up
Line 125: Line 136:
 
*The May HUB newsletter indicated their Learn 2 Ride course will be an on line course, possibly in early June. Sign up for notification is available.  This is a modified  course designed for ages 9-12 years old and covers cycling safely and confidently around your neighbourhood.
 
*The May HUB newsletter indicated their Learn 2 Ride course will be an on line course, possibly in early June. Sign up for notification is available.  This is a modified  course designed for ages 9-12 years old and covers cycling safely and confidently around your neighbourhood.
 
-->
 
-->
 +
  
 
===Developers - Fred/Don===
 
===Developers - Fred/Don===
Line 137: Line 149:
 
***6 short term bike parking
 
***6 short term bike parking
 
***Developer very receptive to concept of a secure bike room on EACH floor of building similar to adjacent Maplewood Plaza project already approved.
 
***Developer very receptive to concept of a secure bike room on EACH floor of building similar to adjacent Maplewood Plaza project already approved.
 +
**Public hearing scheduled for on Monday September 14 at District Hall - RE: Anthem Seymour Estates redevelopment proposal, 944 Lytton St. just off the Mt. Seymour Parkway 
 +
*** The site is located across from Ron Andrews Recreation Centre. Development broken down into 3 sites with 341 dwelling units and maximum 6 storeys.  Each dwelling unit will be provided with parking for 2 bicycles.  Anthem is planning secure bicycle parking (bicycle boxes) at ground floor level for 686 bicycles with washing and repair facilities, ebike charging. An additional 104 bicycle parking spots will be provided for visitors. Residents will be able to also rent ebikes assigned to the strata with 2 ebikes planned in each of the three locations. The minimum car parking is provided which is still a lot of cars. (underground and above ground parking for up to 528 vehicles with 75 visitor spots) Anthem is offering parking on a monthly rate for those that want it. ($100/mo).
 +
***Anthem will will designate a new right of way path to connect an existing right of way leading to Broad Street that is currently closed off by a fence for some reason.  Full details of the redevelopment application can be found here: https://app.dnv.org/OpenDocument/Default.aspx?docNum=4495086
 +
 +
With more people working from home, and recreational faclilities withing easy walking distance, and a handy ebike to zip down to nearby Maplewood to get groceries, the need for a second car becomes less.
 
-->
 
-->
  

Latest revision as of 15:12, 10 September 2020


HUB North Shore Committee holds regular meetings at 6:30pm - 8:30pm on the second Thursday of every month. Everybody is welcome. For our August meeting we will be using an online conference call using https://join.me/868-277-869 . You can also phone in (audio only) at +1.778.654.8779,,868-277-869 #

  • Agenda additions
  • Introductions


Contents

[edit] Goals & Objectives

  • 2020 Goals Overview - presentation
    • Implementation of 3 top priority Bikeways
      • Analysis of current state all segments of the 3 Bikeways and next steps for each
      • will be added to UnGap the Map database
    • Establish communications with community stakeholders re Bikeways.
      • Set-up meeting with West Van Chamber of Commerce & Ambleside Dundarave BIA - On Hold
      • Prepare message to share with NS Cycle clubs/organization - Heather/Don


[edit] General

  • State of Cycling Update
    • Gather updates and "informal" bike routes to be added on Map (purple lines)
  • Schedule Meetings with North Shore MLAs - Don
    • Hwy 1 East side connector by MoTI as part of Lower-Lynn interchanges project
    • Updating the MVA to a Safe Roads Act.


[edit] Events - Fred

  • Fall Bike2Work Week - Sep-28-Oct-x -
    • earlier this year
    • "Knowledge HUBs' instead of Celebration stations
      • Covid compliant info distribution + bike Mechanics
      • no food (unless they can get cliff bars or similar donated)
    • DNV want to do a Knowledge HUB station at IWMB
      • perhaps in morning? at the west side?
      • OR let them have our afternoon slot and just staff a HUB booth?

[edit] Letters

  • 4 new ones
    • Nancy re Marine Dr from Taylor Way to LGB - replied
    • Tim re marine Drive @ 16th - replied
    • Jill - path under Hwy at lynn creek and Main/dollarton pavement issues - replied
    • Rob - Bellevue slow street -


[edit] City of North Vancouver - Erika/Heather

  • Esplanade
    • New delineators and buffers separating the bike lane from vehicle traffic. Feedback?
  • St Andrews / 17th:
    • reducing speeds on those shared open streets to 30 kmh. Signs are up on both streets. Heard complaints second-hand that traffic has increased on adjacent streets.
    • traffic diverters on 13th and 15th and St Andrews
    • other traffic calming on St. Andrews

Take the Open Streets Survey here https://letstalk.cnv.org/open-streets-in-the-city and please write to Council with your support for Open Streets road reallocations and traffic calming.

  • Cotton (opposite Park & Tilford)

Technically this MUP is open but the west side entrance has a bumpy letdown. Reminder sent to Justin Hall.

  • Local bikeway spot improvements STILL coming:
    • Signal coming at 4th & Lonsdale for 4th street bike route with traffic calming (diverters) planned at intersections @ Chesterfield and @ St Georges
    • Signal at 3rd & St Andrews
  • East Keith
    • Status of bike lane plan?
  • CityFix app
    • Has anybody had success using this to fix street/signal issues, other than sweeping bike lanes?

[edit] District of North Vancouver - Don/Ryan

  • 1st Avenue West
    • Parking protected bike lane once. Treatment plant construction allows. Will be coordinated with City design.
  • LV rd & E 29th
    • Considered Qwick Kurb as well as cast in place concrete curbs similar to Beatty Street in Vancouver, but too expensive.
    • Reduced fast lane width on Lynn Valley Road allowed a 0.3m bike lane buffer space after repaving. Will install permanent style plastic posts this fall. This will allow passing as the cycle lane is only 1.5m
    • Plan to also install on 29th
    • Public consultation for Upper Lynn Valley Road bike lane postponed until at least the fall
  • Targeted OCP Review
    • Public consultation on hold.
  • Marine / Mcguire pinch point
    • DNV reviewing internally to see what can be done with the space available.
  • Salop / Mountain Highway trails
    • Tentative wayfinding signage comments provided to District but no installations yet.
    • Bollard adjustment north end of Lynnmouth pathway connection.
  • North end of Mtn Hwy overpass connection with Arbourlynn:
    • Consultant is working on options expected in Fall.
    • Meeting in Sept to coordinate on MoTI connections and Corridor Study.
  • Casano connector route to LV TC.
    • Public consultation on hold
  • Keith/Brooksbank intersection signal issues (Antje)
  • E Keith Rd plan status?


[edit] District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter

  • Response to COVID-19 pandemic
    • On 21 July, Peter, Paul and Joe Weiler met with John Calimente to discuss feedback on the Bellevue slow streets implementation and subsequent phases of slow streets implementation.
    • John informed us that consideration and implementation of the next phases of slow streets, beyond Phase 2, including loops through Ambleside and Dundarave, has been postponed until next year due to insufficient resources available.
    • Having not heard from the Ambleside Dundarave Business Improvement Association (ADBIA), nor the District, we assume that consideration of plans for a Ciclovia for West Van has also been postponed until next year.
    • On 27 July, we received an email for our comment from John Calimente with proposed routes for future slow streets, including a phase 3 route in 2021 along Duchess/Esquimalt/Haywood Avenues.
    • Just after the BC Day holiday weekend, Phase 2 of slow streets was implemented extending the Bellevue Avenue slow street signage to 31st Street along a route south of the railway tracks (http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/3/37/31st_and_Proctor_slow_streets_westward_extension_2020-08-06_IMG_3010.jpg.
  • On 16 July, at a public hearing, West Van Council, in a 4-3 decision, decided to allow Park Royal to proceed to the next step in their proposed addition of 95 rental units to the Gateway Residences development. Both Paul and and Peter had previously written to the mayor and council in support of the additional 95 rental units and mentioning our satisfaction with the inclusion end-of-trip cycling facilities and the storage of a Cycling Without Age trishaw. Peter intervened by telephone in support of the proposed addition at the public hearing.
  • 3rd annual 20-in-20 Infrastructure Challenge - on 23 July Evan Hammer at HUB HQ sent to John Calimente the 20 suggested minor cycling infrastructure improvements that Paul and Peter had proposed.
  • In the 27 July email, John Calimente provided for our comment proposed changes to the West Vancouver bike network. This process of revising the West Van bike network map complicates our provision of input to update the HUB State of Cycling map.
  • Cypress Village - the community consultation process got underway in July in the context of Planning for the Upper Lands (https://www.westvancouverite.ca/upperlands). More detailed information and analysis will be added to the webpages throughout July and August, and there will be opportunities for small group discussions as well as a public survey.


[edit] MOTI - Antje/Don


[edit] Developers - Fred/Don

  • Currently active:
    • Park Royal ...- want to add 95 rental units, with no parking
    • UPDATE?
    • Harbourside (near King's Mill park)
      • Provided input on HUB submission for Cycling Amenities to be included in 1st phase of development.



Personal tools