HUB North Shore Committee holds regular meetings at 6:30pm - 8:30pm on the second Thursday of every month. Everybody is welcome. For our June meeting we will be using an online conference call using https://join.me/ . You can also phone in (audio only). Please send emails to email@example.com and we will send you the conference number.
- Agenda additions
Goals & Objectives
- 2020 Goals Overview - presentation
- Implementation of 3 top priority Bikeways
- Analysis of current state all segments of the 3 Bikeways and next steps for each
- Establish communications with community stakeholders re Bikeways.
- Set-up meeting with West Van Chamber of Commerce & Ambleside Dundarave BIA - On Hold
- Prepare message to share with NS Cycle clubs/organization - Heather/Don
- Implementation of 3 top priority Bikeways
- Schedule Meetings with North Shore MLAs - Don
- Hwy 1 East side connector by MoTI as part of Lower-Lynn interchanges project
- Updating the MVA to a Safe Roads Act.
- North Shore Advisory Committee on Disability Issues (ACDI) - Don
- We will attend a future meeting once things calm down.
City of North Vancouver - Erika/Heather
- Open Streets Project
- June to October
- Lonsdale 13th to 18th done
- Lower Lonsdale done
- Queensbury done
- Justin expects traffic will shift to St. Georges and Chesterfield and reduce.
- will be monitoring so they see where people are going and what volumes look like. Lonsdale is going to become quite slow b/c of all the activity and congestion might be easy to take the lane. Mahon will be another alternative for NS.
- can they make tweaks? yes, they expect it to be imperfect in this first round but are committed to being adaptable and flexible.
- The city is open to expanding the Lonsdale reallocation further if there’s a need and it’s working well, or deal with it on a case by case basis (ie eliminating parking spots
- St Andrews / 17th:
- reducing speeds on those shared open streets to 30 kmh
- traffic diverters on 13th and 15th and St Andrews
- other traffic calming on St. Andrews
- 17th and 19th and other major intersections four-way stops
Take the Survey here https://letstalk.cnv.org/open-streets-in-the-city
- Casano-Loutet Overpass
is going to tender (the City appropriated last bit of money to do this). construction finished by spring 2021 hopefully
- Off-street facility on Esplanade btwn Lonsdale & Rogers now complete
- Liaisons to send feedback to Justin (Street furniture, pavement markings, weird camber at Lonsdale)
- The City approved money for design and consultation. Developing revised engagement strategy — speaking in person is still an important component. Will try for engagement process in July. detailed design over summer + into fall, with more public consultation, and construction in 2021.
At Council's request, staff / consultants will still look at adjacent streets for opportunities, but they recognize esplanade is an ideal route for speed, connectivity, topography
- Brendan Green, new traffic engineer, proj mgr on Esplanade
- 1st Street
- The City received lots of feedback on 1st st changes but not much from businesses along the corridor, so need to do that.
- All the City’s tenders are just getting restarted so it’s behind schedule. Goal is to have finished build complete this year. This project is next on the list.
- Mobility Strategy
This document has stalled but will be brought back in the fall.
- Local bikeway spot improvements STILL coming:
- Protected corner at Chesterfield and Esplanade (new delineators on the bike lane separating the lane from vehicle traffic)
- Signal coming at 4th & Lonsdale, with traffic calming (diverters) planned at intersections @ Chesterfield and @ St Georges
- Signal at 3rd & St Andrews
District of North Vancouver - Jay/Ryan
- COVID-19 Responses
- Sent HUB letter to District urging action. See the letters to governments section.
- Sent suggested spacing opportunities to Steve Carney.
- Changes in District to date focus on RPO restrictions and parking removal in Deep Cove and Edgemont Village areas for outdoor seating areas. Need to continue to press for safe space for those walking/travelling by bike given increases in demand.
- It is anticipated Translink grants / shared funding for cycling will be retained despite other Translink cuts.
- 1st Avenue West
- Parking protected bike lane will follow Metro Vancouver work completion. Will be coordinated with City design.
- Delineator post styles
- Considering Qwick Kurb posts as well as cast in place concrete similar to Beatty Street in Vancouver.
- Reviewing opportunity to reduce fast lane width on Lynn Valley Road with repaving which could allow for more bike lane buffer space and fewer post strikes.
- Targeted OCP Review
- Public consultation on hold.
- Marine / Mcguire pinch point
- DNV reviewing internally to see what can be done with the space available.
- Salop / Mountain Highway trails
- Tentative wayfinding signage comments provided to District but no installations yet.
- Bollard adjustment north end of Lynnmouth pathway connection.
- North end of Mtn Hwy overpass connection with Arbourlynn:
- Jay had sent a a proposal to provide bike access in this area a while ago.
- Arbourlynn pathway connection is to tie-in somehow with the new north side MUP that will connect across Lynn Creek and reach the northeast corner of the Mountain Highway westbound off-ramp.
- Property is very constrained and staff are reviewing right of way.
- Casano connector route to LV TC.
- Public consultation on hold
- Upper Lynn Valley Road bike lane
- Public consultation postponed until at least the fall
District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter
- Response to COVID-19 pandemic
- letter dated 13 May sent to the Mayor and Councillors with suggestions on how to take advantage of the situation to improve active transportation. Here is the letter: http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/6/61/2020-04-14_LDWV_V4.1Final_200513.pdf
- 26 May meeting with the Ambleside Dundarave Business Improvement Association (ADBIA) regarding a possible Ciclovia
- West Vancouver proposed "Slow Streets" initiative
- Teleconference call on 5 June between Peter, Paul, Jeff Leigh and DWV Councillor, Craig Cameron, to discuss a possible "slow streets" strategy for West Vancouver based on the Vancouver experience.
- Peter and Paul consulted with John Calimente on 7 June by emailing him our comments on proposed phase 1 and phase 2 routes.
- Additionally, we responded to his request for examples of "slow streets" infrastructure in Vancouver (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiDqUh2gits).
MOTI - Antje/Jay
- Mountain Highway Interchange
- Walk through planned with DNV staff to identify remaining issues - see DNV summary above
- After DNV walk through raise remaining issues in MOTI jurisdiction with project manager Jay Porter
- Main-Dollarton Interchange
- Provided feedback to MOTI on latest design and asked for more information on rebuilding approaches to existing tunnel and on potential new tunnel design
- Recommended bike path (bike highway) along east side of Hwy 1 between Main and Fern, to connect with new path system at Lillooet Interchange
- Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
- HUB-NS to review and update priority cycling improvements in MOTI jurisdiction
- Antje received Ungap the Map files from Vancouver committee/HUB HQ
- Next step: Antje to draft priority cycling improvements in January and send to email discussion list for feedback
Schools - Tammy/Martyn
- Presented at the North Shore Safety Council meeting Dec-4 about HUB's School Education programs that are available.
- Met on January 29 with Natalie Corbo at City of North Vancouver to understand how HUB ride programs were funded at schools in the City.
- Next steps are to set up meeting with Communications Manager at North Van School District and with Transportation Planner at DNV to see how we can get school buy-in and funding in the DNV.
- Communication Managers at SD44 are now Maria Spitale-Leisk and Taralee Hallson. They took over for Deneka Michaud. Meeting was to be scheduled at the end of April, but this has now been put off until the next school year.
- Samantha Morrison – NVRC – has obtained grants previously for physical literacy. She suggested Viasport.ca, a provincial non-profit advocacy group for sport, as a possible source for grants.
- Paul set up a meeting with DWV, Emily Willobee, Transportation/Engineering; Policy and Planning –
- Tammy and Paul met with Emily on March 13, 2020. DWV has programs that it funds and offers to schools. The programs are defined by what the schools are interested in. Emily encourages NS HUB to meet with SD45 to provide an overview of their bike education programs. Emily is willing to be present.
- Due to COVID-19, all discussions with schools are on hold.
- The May HUB newsletter indicated their Learn 2 Ride course will be an on line course, possibly in early June. Sign up for notification is available. This is a modified course designed for ages 9-12 years old and covers cycling safely and confidently around your neighbourhood.
Developers - Fred/Don
- Currently active:
- Cap Mall redevelopment - Initial Public comments -
- Park Royal ...- want to add 95 rental units, with no parking
- Proposed West Vancouver council bicycles parking requirements bylaw stemming from CEEP and the Climate Emergency declaration.
- TRC Maplewood Plaza mixed use development.
- 75 long term residential/commercial bike parking/storage
- 6 short term bike parking
- Developer very receptive to concept of a secure bike room on EACH floor of building similar to adjacent Maplewood Plaza project already approved.
Communications & Outreach - Heather/Antje/James/Martyn
- Still need to summarize our meeting from last fall
- Next step: build high-quality photo library of utility cycling on the North Shore that can be used for social media, communications and provided to the media (e.g. North Shore News)
- LV Blogger -
- Meeting with Lower Lonsdale BIA
- <<add summary>>
- Phibbs Exchange design:
- TransLink& MoTI agreed to removed bollards and cyclist must dismount signage.
- The pathway will be tight though the exchange
- Brave cyclists have option to use 1.5m unprotected bike lane on WB on Main between traffic and bus pull-outs.
- They will have some bike boxes and are looking into how to do per-use payments (vs monthly)
- Asked them to talk to DNV about space for future bike-share