2020-05-14 Agenda

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Jump to: navigation, search


HUB North Shore Committee holds regular meetings at 6:30pm - 8:30pm on the second Thursday of every month. Everybody is welcome. For our May meeting we will be using an online conference call using https://join.me/ . You can also phone in (audio only). Please send emails to northshore@bikehub.ca and I will send you the conference number.

  • Agenda additions
  • Introductions


Contents

Goals & Objectives

  • 2020 Goals Overview - presentation
    • Implementation of 3 top priority Bikeways
      • Analysis of current state all segments of the 3 Bikeways and next steps for each
    • Establish communications with community stakeholders re Bikeways.
      • Set-up meeting with West Van Chamber of Commerce & Ambleside Dundarave BIA - On Hold
      • Prepare message to share with NS Cycle clubs/organization - Heather/Don


General



City of North Vancouver - Erika/Heather

Off-Marine route HUB North Shore submitted a letter in response to the 1st Street design. The new lanes would mark a real turning point in bike lanes for the North Shore. While the # of driveway intersections is problematic, we were mostly complimentary. Staff let us know that they will be trying to consolidate driveways. Funding for this project is secured and a construction tender has gone out. We think this project will get built.

Third Street Mobility Lane HUB measured the new "Mobility lane" on 3rd Street. Generally, it is 1.8m with some less wide sections around trees. In these areas, a garden strip is removed so people cycling can move over if there is traffic.

RapidBus Impacts on Cycling Rapid bus launched April 6th , 2020. We are thinking of doing a socially distant inspection ride with staff this summer to document areas for attention.

Esplanade Off-street facility on Esplanade btwn Lonsdale & Rogers now complete. The public consultation component of this project is now delayed as staff figure out a way to collect information without in-person meetings.

Mobility Strategy HUB North Shore reviewed the City's new Mobility Strategy and provided Andrew Devlin with feedback. The Strategy is very progressive, putting walking and cycling ahead of all other modes.


COVID-19 Response - Grand Boulevard Road Reallocation The city has closed a vehicle lane on Grand BLVd to allocate space to people cycling in response to higher foot traffic on the Green Necklace. Closing Grand Blvd from 23rd to 13th. HUB sent a letter to Council thanking them for re-allocating space to making cycling safer.

Local bikeway spot improvements coming:

  • Protected corner at Chesterfield and Esplanade (new delineators on the bike lane separating the lane from vehicle traffic)
  • Spot improvement at Fell and Second coming at the corner
  • Signal coming at 4th & Lonsdale, with traffic calming (diverters) planned at intersections @ Chesterfield and @ St Georges
  • Signal at 3rd & St Andrews

District of North Vancouver - Jay/Ryan

  • COVID-19 Responses
    • Sent suggested spacing opportunities to Steve Carney.
    • No changes in District to date other than RPO restrictions but they are considering removing underutilized parking in select locations. Requires council approval and we should formally push council on this rather than staff.
    • Budget was cut, trying to hold design budget stable and defer construction. Safety projects are priority, but bike lane reallocation requires public consultation which is on hold.
    • It is anticipated Translink grants / shared funding for cycling will be retained despite other Translink cuts.
  • Targeted OCP Review
    • Public consultation on hold.
  • Marine / Mcguire pinch point
    • DNV reviewing internally to see what can be done with the space available.
  • Salop / Mountain Highway trails
    • Tentative wayfinding signage comments provided to District but no installations yet.
  • North end of Mtn Hwy overpass connection with Arbourlynn:
    • Jay had sent a a proposal to provide bike access in this area a while ago.
    • Arbourlynn pathway connection is to tie-in somehow with the new north side MUP that will connect across Lynn Creek and reach the northeast corner of the Mountain Highway westbound off-ramp.
    • Property is very constrained and staff are reviewing right of way.
  • Casano connector route to LV TC.
    • Public consultation on hold
  • Upper Lynn Valley Road bike lane
    • Public consultation postponed until at least the fall

District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter

  • Response to COVID-19 pandemic
    • Peter, Paul and Joe Weiler have been in consultation with Councillor Gambioli to prepare a letter to the Mayor and councillors with suggestions on how to take advantage of the situation to improve active transportation. Here is the letter: http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/6/61/2020-04-14_LDWV_V4.1Final_200513.pdf
    • Peter and Paul have been contacting individual councillors regarding our suggestions and Joe is going to contact the Ambleside Dundarave Business Association.

MOTI - Antje/Jay

  • Mountain Highway Interchange
    • Walk through planned with DNV staff to identify remaining issues - see DNV summary above
    • After DNV walk through raise remaining issues in MOTI jurisdiction with project manager Jay Porter
  • Main-Dollarton Interchange
    • Provided feedback to MOTI on latest design and asked for more information on rebuilding approaches to existing tunnel and on potential new tunnel design
    • Recommended bike path (bike highway) along east side of Hwy 1 between Main and Fern, to connect with new path system at Lillooet Interchange
  • Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
    • HUB-NS to review and update priority cycling improvements in MOTI jurisdiction
    • Antje received Ungap the Map files from Vancouver committee/HUB HQ
    • Next step: Antje to draft priority cycling improvements in January and send to email discussion list for feedback

Schools - Tammy/Martyn

  • Presented at the North Shore Safety Council meeting Dec-4 about HUB's School Education programs that are available.
  • Met on January 29 with Natalie Corbo at City of North Vancouver to understand how HUB ride programs were funded at schools in the City.

• Next steps are to set up meeting with Communications Manager at North Van School District and with Transportation Planner at DNV to see how we can get school buy-in and funding in the DNV.

Communication Managers at SD44 are now Maria Spitale-Leisk and Taralee Hallson. They took over for Deneka Michaud. Meeting was to be scheduled at the end of April, but this has now been put off until the next school year.

Samantha Morrison – NVRC – has obtained grants previously for physical literacy. She suggested Viasport.ca, a provincial non-profit advocacy group for sport, as a possible source for grants.

Paul set up a meeting with DWV, Emily Willobee, Transportation/Engineering; Policy and Planning – o Tammy and Paul met with Emily on March 13, 2020. DWV has programs that it funds and offers to schools. The programs are defined by what the schools are interested in. Emily encourages NS HUB to meet with SD45 to provide an overview of their bike education programs. Emily is willing to be present.

Due to COVID-19, all discussions with schools are on hold.

The May HUB newsletter indicated their Learn 2 Ride course will be an on line course, possibly in early June. Sign up for notification is available. This is a modified course designed for ages 9-12 years old and covers cycling safely and confidently around your neighbourhood.

Developers - Fred/Don

  • Currently active:
    • Cap Mall redevelopment - Initial Public comments -
    • Park Royal ...- want to add 95 rental units, with no parking
    • Proposed West Vancouver council bicycles parking requirements bylaw stemming from CEEP and the Climate Emergency declaration.
    • TRC Maplewood Plaza mixed use development.
      • 75 long term residential/commercial bike parking/storage
      • 6 short term bike parking
      • Developer very receptive to concept of a secure bike room on EACH floor of building similar to adjacent Maplewood Plaza project already approved.


Communications & Outreach - Heather/Antje/James/Martyn

  • Still need to summarize our meeting from last fall
  • Next step: build high-quality photo library of utility cycling on the North Shore that can be used for social media, communications and provided to the media (e.g. North Shore News)
  • LV Blogger -
  • Meeting with Lower Lonsdale BIA
    • <<add summary>>


Translink - Fred/Antje

  • Submitted suggestions for Road Reallocation to be shared with Municipalities
  • Bike parking at Exchanges:
    • Next Steps?
Personal tools