2020-03-12 Summary

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Schools - Tammy/Martyn)
(BC Ferries - Peter S)
Line 141: Line 141:
 
-->
 
-->
  
 +
<!--
 
===BC Ferries - Peter S===
 
===BC Ferries - Peter S===
 
* HSB Terminal input now closed. Our key issues:
 
* HSB Terminal input now closed. Our key issues:
Line 148: Line 149:
 
* InterIsland Ferry design consultation just starting - need link
 
* InterIsland Ferry design consultation just starting - need link
 
* Next Steps???
 
* Next Steps???
 
+
-->
  
 
===Translink - Fred/Antje===
 
===Translink - Fred/Antje===

Revision as of 16:15, 7 April 2020

Attendees: Don. P., Heather D, Peter S, Tammy S. Erika R, Fiona W, Fred R.

Contents

Goals & Objectives

  • 2020 Goals Overview - presentation
    • Implementation of 3 top priority Bikeways
      • Analysis of current state all segments of the 3 Bikeways and next steps for each
    • Establish communications with community stakeholders re Bikeways.
      • Set-up meeting with West Van Chamber of Commerce & Ambleside Dundarave BIA

Action: Peter to provide contacts.

      • Prepare message to share with NS Cycle clubs/organization -

Action: Heather/Don to prepare drafts

General

  • Schedule Meetings with North Shore MLAs - Don
    • Ride with Bowwin Ma on Feb 29th - Antje/Erika
      • Requested help getting MoTI to involve us in their "Highway 1 Corridor Study"
      • Requested support for Bikeway E of Hwy1 between Mt Seymour Parkway and Dollarton.


Events - Fred

  • All cancelled for the next couple of months.
  • Blueridge Good Neighbour Day – Sun 14-June?

Letters

  • Barb re: Grand Blvd / 19th crossing and Green Necklace @ 23rd bollards - Jay responding by acknowledging issue with lack of space and guidance at intersection and why we do not recommend MUPs for the bollards.

City of North Vancouver - Erika/Heather

  • New progress toward 3 Priority Routes tracker [1]
  • City Initiatives Tracker [2]
  • HUB Letter to CNV Council Re: Esplanade
    • CNV's plan for Esplanade does not call for any improvements until late next year:
    • Liaisons have sent a letter about Esplanade for City Council to ensure our views are on public record. It requests immediate temporary parking removal to improve safety.
    • We have asked Staff to look at quick and simple alternates to Esplanade
  • February 27th Meeting with City of North Vancouver Staff - [3]
  • Phase 1 Mobility Network Projects Update
    • Off-Marine route (HUB Main to Marine Route West from Bewicke to MacKay)

includes parking protected or other physically separated route from Fell to MacKay. Improvements to the Fell and 1st intersection. Northside along 1st potentially parking protected. South side along 1st curb separated. In this segment, provision will be made for passing, but not throughout the entire route. Passing lane concept.

      • March 12th public consultation for this 1st St route - cancelled.
      • Use CNV's Online feedback tool
      • Action: Liaison's to prepare HUB NS response letter.
      • July construction (after the Mosquito Creek project releases both travel lanes)?


    • RapidBus Impacts on Cycling
      • Rapid bus launches April 6th , 2020.
      • March 16 buses to start taking Rogers Avenue down to the Quay along Esplanade.
      • March 23rd full route testing
  • Gap at Gardenworks site
    • This site will come up for public consultation in spring. Plan is to develop into condos. This area is key to creating a 3rd street bike route connecting across the “5-corners” at Marine, Bewicke, and 3rd. Current plan is for 3m MUP through the Gardenworks site. HUB to ensure members and community participate in consultation.
    • Action: Liaisons to ask for 4m path to allow separation of Cyclist and pedestrians instead of a MUP.
  • Paving Schedule
    • Action: Liaisons to ask for a list with bike lanes highlighted.


  • Next meeting to be scheduled for early May

District of North Vancouver - Jay/Ryan

  • Targeted OCP Review
    • Infrastructure was not discussed just of list of other ideas:
      • Educations (Kids & Adults) and Vision zero were top of the group's list
      • Action: Don to share details with Tammy - Done
  • Walk through of Salop Trail and Mountain Hwy / Keith intersection to review outstanding issues and next steps summary provided to DNV staff:
    • Requested bollards be moved back and reduced from 2 to 1 post at Mountain Highway southbound / west side exit to Salop. DNV reviewing curb transition here and at Shavington entrance.
    • Bollard at entrance from Old Mountain cul-de-sac will be removed.
  • Meeting with DNV staff March 6
    • North end of Mtn Hwy overpass to connect with Arbourlynn:
      • They are considering 3 options:
      • 1) buy land from the adjacent houses on the east side - $$$
      • 2) shift the road west (what they should have done back when the project started) but there is a power line and major sewer connection in this area $$
      • 3) narrow the uphill lane to 1 lane, eliminate the weave lane and adjust the traffic lights - but they need MOTI’s permission, DNV will review traffic measurements to see volumes.
      • Ingrid is working on the Casano connector route to LV TC.
        • We continued to expressed concerns over the steepness of this route.
    • Upper Lynn Valley Road bike lane
      • They have a couple options ready for public consultation in May, then hoping to take a final proposal to council workshop in Sep.
      • Parking studies show that only 1 side is needed, except up by Dempsey/End-of-the-line cafe. They will also show an all parking removed option that would permit bike lanes both ways but expect that the uphill only bike lane will be the preferred choice. We expressed concerns about the downhill sharrows/door-zone/passing and they seemed to accept it should have to be a well marked shared lane.
    • Protection options on Lower Lynn Valley Rd and 29th.
      • They agree that the current bollards are not sufficient. They are considering a few options.
      • The one product they showed us were a curb with flexible bollards: http://www.qwickkurb.com
      • These seem to be more substantial and would be a big improvement. Potentially “interested but concerned” folks would use them.
      • They are checking to see if they can squeeze the lane widths on Lower Lynn Valley Road to fit them in and price them. They are going to try to get quotes for delineation product for 29th this month and hope to install them this summer.
      • We talked about snow and the consensus was live with snow in the cycle lanes for a few weeks a year, so we can have protected bike lane for the other 50 weeks of the year. DNV has a small sweeper in the budget for this year (250K) and we asked they make sure it would fit in 1.5m bike lanes and if it had a snow blower attachment.
  • Issues tracker: [4]

District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter

  • ParticipAction’s ‘Community Better Challenge’ - date? - Paul
    • how can we encourage more cycling via this?
  • On 27 February, Paul and Peter had a meeting with John Calimente with the following agenda:
    • Main/Marine bikeway:
      • John speculated that in a future development of Park Royal North there could be room for a protected westbound bike lane from Taylor Way to the traffic signaled intersection on Marine Drive;and
    • Ambleside Town Centre Local Area Plan, - Top priority to make sure cycling is included
      • protected bikeways through or adjacent to the Town Centre and protected bikeway connections east and west of it to Park Royal and Dundarave respectively;
  • Paul has initiated consultations with Tammy, DWV staff and school board reps wrt to bicycle education and bike to work week participation in West van School District 45.
    • 3 meetings have been set up - Tammy

MOTI - Antje/Jay

    • Recommended bike path (bike highway) along east side of Hwy 1 between Main and Fern, to connect with new path system at Lillooet Interchange
  • Action: Antje to contact MoTI team leading Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
    • HUB-NS to review and update priority cycling improvements in MOTI jurisdiction
    • Action: Antje to generate 1st draft of MoTI priority lists and create online poll for finalizing them

Schools - Tammy/Martyn

  • Meetings planned with West Van re school programs - key issue is funding.

Developers - Fred/Don

  • Need to develop objectives for our"Community Engagement" with Developers.
    • The primary focus is to get developers to provide better bicycle facilities.
    • Base this on HUB's [More than Just Bike Racks] document and improve on that.
    • Residential:
      • Bike parking that is Secure, convenient, accessible and safe,
      • Charging facilities for ebikes
      • preferably with a small work/cleaning space
    • Commercial:
      • Secure, easily accessible bike parking
      • shower/change facilities
    • Visitors/customers:
      • convenient, covered parking - preferably in a high visibility area
    • Connections to bikeways
  • Currently active:
    • Cap Mall redevelopment - Initial Public comments -
    • Park Royal ...- want to add 95 rental units, with no parking
    • Proposed West Vancouver council bicycles parking requirements bylaw stemming from CEEP and the Climate Emergency declaration.
    • TRC Maplewood Plaza mixed use development.
      • 75 long term residential/commercial bike parking/storage
      • 6 short term bike parking
      • Developer very receptive to concept of a secure bike room on EACH floor of building similar to adjacent Maplewood Plaza project already approved.



Translink - Fred/Antje

  • e-Bikes on Buses announcement by Translink Buzzer - as of 5 Feb 2020 now allowed!!! https://buzzer.translink.ca/
  • Bike parking at Exchanges:
    • Next Steps?
Personal tools