HUB North Shore Committee holds regular meetings at 6:30pm - 8:30pm on the second Thursday of every month. Everybody is welcome. The meetings are at the North Vancouver City Library (14th/Lonsdale) in the Don Preston Boardroom (2nd floor). The December meeting will only be from 6:30-7:30
- Agenda additions
Goals & Objectives
- 2020 Goals: - need decide on Next Steps for each of our goals
- Implementation of 3 top priority Bikeways.
- Establish communications with community stakeholders re Bikeways.
- Schedule Meetings with North Shore MLAs
- Funding for our Priority routes
- Updating the MVA to a Safe Roads Act.
- Spring Bike2Work week
- date for station at 2nd Narrows.
- E-bikes for council project
- objective would be to provide loaner ebikes to all councillors for bike-to-work-week
- need an organizer
- need to get bike shops to provide fully equipped bikes
- need to figure out insurance with HQ
- discuss with some friendly councillors
- turn it into a media event
City of North Vancouver - Erika/Heather
- HUB email to staff about Cotton road bike lanes
Bike lanes at the crossing at Cotton and Gladstone and prior to that against Park and Tilford are very tight. HUB wrote to CNV staff December 9th to ask about them. We will discuss in the upcoming meeting
- HUB Letter to CNV Council Re: Esplanade
Liaisons will draft a letter about Esplanade for City Council to ensure our views are on public record. Currently we have only spoken with staff about this area.
- 3rd Street Hill
Heather measured new lanes on 3rd street hill. Lanes have been reduced on both sides from 2 m to 1.3 and 1.4 m Still need to fix hydro pole area on North side
- Next Meeting with Staff will be February 27th
- AGENDA FOR MEETING
Mobility Network Update
a.Phase 1 Projects – Casano-Loutet Overpass, Jones (21st to Hwy), Off-Marine Route
b.Phase 2 Projects – Esplanade, Midtown Connector, Upper Levels Greenway (Lynn Valley Rd to Lonsdale)
c.Phase 3 projects – Chesterfield (Seabus to 13th), St Davids Greenway, Upper Levels Greenway (Lonsdale to Westview)
2.Ongoing Construction Update
a. Marine-Main RapidBus – Cotton Road - 3rd Street Hill
b. Mackay MUP
c. Site 8
e. Mosquito Creek Bridge Reconstruction
3.2020 Paving opportunities
4.Joint CNV-DNV Cycling Routes and Policy Update
a.Mobility Strategy b.Great Streets
7.Revamping the City’s Cycling Webpage
- Projects Update see Initiatives Tracker
- Integrated Transportation Committee
How do we get HUB representative on this committee - appointments start 1-Feb-2020 for 2 years Need to write a letter to council requesting that HUB member be included in the terms of reference for this committee.
District of North Vancouver - Jay/Giacomo/Ryan
- 29th Street protected bike lanes (Tempe Cres to Lynn Valley Rd)
- signal activated at William Street, remaining paint markings to be applied when weather improves
- added to HUB infrastructure success summary for 2019
- Lynn Valley Life weblog interview on a variety of cycling topics: Lynn Valley on two wheels
- Lynn Valley Town Centre infrastructure
- work ongoing for protected lanes through Lynn Valley Mall and on 27th Street.
- Targeted OCP Review
- Phase 2 consultation to begin Spring 2020 
- Questions being prepared for workshop (send to Don)
- Weekly Traffic Bulletin
- Updated every Friday on DNV website and highlights not only construction closures / work zones but the purpose of the closures (i.e. new bike lanes, sidewalks etc) 
- Next meeting with Staff- February 10, 2020
- on site walk through of Salop Trail and Mountain Hwy / Keith intersection to review outstanding issues and next steps
- Seymour Estates redevelopment (Mount Seymour Parkway and Lytton) - potential to push for better infrastructure along frontage  The developer is planning to provide a large bike room at grade with secure enclosures for bikes.
- Issues tracker: 
- 20 in 20 updates - very minimal efforts by DNV in 2019 (bike lane restriping) given the opportunities that were provided. See if we can get more attention this year.
District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter
- On 22 January, Paul and Peter had a shortened meeting with John Calimente.
- Construction of the Welch St Bridge/Spirit Trail improvement (by Park Royal)is expected to begin this month and be competed by 30 June.
- Construction of the next leg of the Upper Level MUP west from Mathers Ave to Taylor Way is planned for this year.
- Construction of the separated bike lane east on Marine Dive from the Lions Gate Bridge to Capilano Road is also planned for this year.
- The first leg of the Capilano Pacific Trail improvement with switchbacks and fencing is complete from Keith Road south on DWV property. Hopefully, construction of the next leg on Metro Vancouver park land will start soon.
- John showed us a plan for more wayfinding signage east of Taylor Way and north of Keith Road including the Capilano Pacific Trail. He wants our feedback.
- He wants our opinion on a safer route to the Spirit Trail for Cycling Without Age trishaws coming from the Seniors Centre along Esquimalt Ave.
- On 4 February, Fred, Paul and Peter met with Rick Amantea, VP of Park Poyal, to discuss cycling infrastructure associated with their Gateway Residences. They are interested in engaging HUB's consultation expertise for end-of-trip facilities.
- Delegation presentation to Council on 10 February: We learned of MoTI is starting to consider plans to improve the Upper Levels highway and DWV plans to update the DWV Strategic Transportation Plan.
- On 10 February, Peter participated in a DWV stakeholder's meeting on developing a District wayfinding plan. After the meeting, he talked with the presidents of the Chamber of Commerce and the Ambleside Dundarave Business improvement Association about plans for installing the District's funded bike racks.
- On 27 February, Paul and Peter will present HUB's 2019 cycling infrastructure improvement award to the DWV for completion of the Hugo Ray Connector.
Communications & Outreach - Heather/Antje/James/Martyn
- Still need to summarize our meeting from last fall
- Next step: build high-quality photo library of utility cycling on the North Shore that can be used for social media, communications and provided to the media (e.g. North Shore News)
- LV Blogger -
- Meeting with Lower Lonsdale BIA
- <<add summary>>
MOTI - Antje/Giacomo/Jay
- Mountain Highway Interchange
- Walk through planned with DNV staff to identify remaining issues - see DNV summary above
- After DNV walk through raise remaining issues in MOTI jurisdiction with project manager Jay Porter
- Main-Dollarton Interchange
- Provided feedback to MOTI on latest design and asked for more information on rebuilding approaches to existing tunnel and on potential new tunnel design
- Recommended bike path (bike highway) along east side of Hwy 1 between Main and Fern, to connect with new path system at Lillooet Interchange
- Maintenance of bridges to Vancouver and Stanley Park Causeway
- No response to our letter on this and other maintenance issues nor any changes to wayfinding
- Causeway paths were swept in December by Miller Capilano on request (Antje) but northbound path badly overgrown with brambles, which is Vancouver Park Board responsibility.
- Hwy 1 North Shore Corridor Study Lynn Valley to Horseshoe Bay
- HUB-NS to review and update priority cycling improvements in MOTI jurisdiction
- Antje received Ungap the Map files from Vancouver committee/HUB HQ
- Next step: Antje to draft priority cycling improvements in January and send to email discussion list for feedback
BC Ferries - Peter S
- HSB Terminal input now closed. Our key issues:
- Access to Ticket Booths from both Highway and Spirit Trail
- Holding areas for Cyclists
- Protected Bikepath from terminal to Exit 0 (Spirit Trail) and also to Highway shoulder
- InterIsland Ferry design consultation just starting - need link
- Next Steps???
- e-Bikes on Buses announcement by Translink Buzzer - as of 5 Feb 2020 now allowed!!! https://buzzer.translink.ca/
- Bike parking at Exchanges:
- Next Steps?
Schools - Tammy/Martyn
- Presented at the North Shore Safety Council meeting Dec-4 about HUB's School Education programs that are available.
- Met on January 29 with Natalie Corbo at City of North Vancouver to understand how HUB ride programs were funded at schools in the City.
• Next steps are to set up meeting with Communications Manager at North Van School District and with Transportation Planner at DNV to see how we can get school buy-in and funding in the DNV.
Developers - Fred/Don
- Need to develop objectives for our"Community Engagement" with Developers.
- The primary focus is to get developers to provide better bicycle facilities.
- Base this on HUB's [More than Just Bike Racks] document and improve on that.
- Bike parking that is Secure, convenient, accessible and safe,
- Charging facilities for ebikes
- preferably with a small work/cleaning space
- Secure, easily accessible bike parking
- shower/change facilities
- convenient, covered parking - preferably in a high visibility area
- Connections to bikeways
- Currently active:
- Cap Mall redevelopment - Initial Public comments -
- Park Royal ...- want to add 95 rental units, with no parking
- Proposed West Vancouver council bicycles parking requirements bylaw stemming from CEEP and the Climate Emergency declaration.
- TRC Maplewood Plaza mixed use development.
- 75 long term residential/commercial bike parking/storage
- 6 short term bike parking
- Developer very receptive to concept of a secure bike room on EACH floor of building similar to adjacent Maplewood Plaza project already approved.