2019-06-13 Minutes

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Jump to: navigation, search
  • Agenda additions - none
  • Attendance - Fred, Rob, Peter S., Martyn, Erika, Ryan, Don, Jay


Contents

2019 Objectives


General

  • RAC meeting - Ryan
    • BC Budget 2020 Consultation open for comments until June 28.
    • TransLink Regional Transportation Strategy (Transport 2050) seems very focused on technology rather than cycling - collecting input until September for plan to be completed late 2020.
    • Elephants feet legal standing and need for Green paint - issue is municipality needs to explicitly sign each application or pass a bylaw. The feet do nothing on their own and cyclists may be at risk since many motorists are unaware of their function. Green paint should be considered to highlight vehicle-cyclist conflict points at intersections and driveways.
  • Draft Whitepaper on economic impacts of installing bike lanes - need to condense to a 1 pg infographic - Erika to review.
  • All Committee Meeting - Thurs July 27, 18:30-20:30, in Surrey - potential to arrange carpool depending on interest.
  • Review of HUB State of Cycling maps for the North Shore - Jay to send maps and request input for City North Van and District of West Van. Intent is to verify what is out there, not whether it is best practice or up to standard - SoC project will eventually complete that classification for us.

Events - Fred

  • Bike to Work Week - May 27-Jun2 2019
    • Tue May-28: NE end of 2nd Narrows - 16:00-18:30 - good turnout but many complaints fielded about poor signage - people did not know how to reach the southbound (west side) sidewalk from the Dollarton Ramp.
    • Thur May-30: 19th & Grand Blvd - 16:00-18:00
  • Blueridge Good Neighbour Day - June 2, 11:00-15:00
  • Bike to Shop Day June 1 East Van to Lonsdale
  • Canada Day at Waterfront park - July 1 - we should ask City to promote bike valet as well as the upcoming bike share - Don to follow up with Nathalie Corriveau?
    • They will have bike valet!! yeah Tony!
    • Need 4 volunteers
  • Others? - Caribbean Days, Salmon Festival, ???

City of North Vancouver - Erika/Heather

  • Esplanade - Seabus drop-off and short & long term improvements - delineation appears to have temporarily addressed issue - delivery parking still a major impediment.
  • 13th - delineators added to bike lane buffer to deter vehicle encroachment.
  • Meeting with CNV bylaw officer
    • Send a Thank You note?
  • Casano – Loutet Overpass - funding
  • Marine Dr Mosquito Creek Bridge
  • Monthly meetings with staff (proposed but have not heard back)
  • Meetings with Councillors to present our goals - have received good, supportive feedback so far.
    • Feedback and recommended next steps
  • 20 in 20 list

District of North Vancouver - Jay/Giacomo/Antje

  • 29th Street protected bike lanes preliminary design review (Tempe Cres to Lynn Valley Rd) - Jay to summarize and send comments - key items are reducing driving lane widths for additional buffers, clarity on bike box configurations, as well as wayfinding and local street enhancements for 27th to the west.
  • Ride to council
  • Riverside Drive delineators - concerns relayed to various levels of staff
  • 1st / Mackay construction detours and signage corrective action request - still an issue with gravel surface and pavement drop off - likely nearing completion.
  • Next meeting - TBD - challenges in getting face to face meetings with staff
  • Present to council - proposed to go as delegation
  • Possible Spirit Trail route east of Seymour with NSMBA - we are supportive as this could connect up isolated neighbourhoods with schools and recreational areas. Not a top priority relative to our other three.
  • Lower Mountain and E Keith crossing conflicts with left and right turn vehicles - Jay to draft email to staff request right on red ban and protected left turn phasing - conflicts in crosswalk have increased since completion of condo towers and two-way pathway between Orwell and Mountain Highway.

District of West Vancouver - Paul/Peter S


BC Ferries - Peter S


Translink - Fred/Antje

  • e-Bikes on Buses - Update on HUB HQ discussions with TransLink
  • Bike parking at Exchanges:
    • letter to Translink re Lonsdale Quay - no response.
    • Also want space for future at Phibbs (and for bike share)


MOTI - Antje/Giacomo

  • Meeting with Jay Porter
    • Mountain Highway / Brooksbank temporary configuration - corrective action request sent to MoTI regarding narrow bike lane and lack of protection on Keith Road. Arbourlynn detour almost complete.
    • Phase 3 (north end of IWMB) design - scope reduced but still some cycling improvements coming (signal at Dollarton off ramp crossing, wider sidewalk waiting area, potential to flatten hump west of crossing and widen two-way south side pathway).
    • plans for any other North Shore interchanges - Jay P will provide planning contact for North Shore study
    • Exit 0 shoulder from BCF terminal to Spirit Trail - will follow up to determine jurisdiction
    • Concerns with bumps, hazards and unsafe overtaking on LGB - Jay P will provide operations contact
Personal tools