2019-02-14 Minutes

From HUB - Cycling Advocacy - North Shore
Jump to: navigation, search

Regular meeting on February 14, 2019 at 6:30pm - 8:30pm at the North Vancouver City Library (14th/Lonsdale) in the Don Preston Boardroom (2nd floor).

Attendees: Don, Jay, Heather, Antje, Fred, Peter, Fiona


Contents

2019 Objectives

  • 3 Top Priority Bikeways + Active Transportation Manager
    • Draft 4 of Presentation to be shared with all North Shore Councils - Don
    • Liaisons to review our Priorities & Presentation with municipal staff and get agreement prior to meetings with councillors
  • How do we measure progress on these goals?


General

  • Council Presentation
    • Don reviewed content of the latest Goals presentation. The intent is to present to staff first and then go to councilors incorporating any feedback received.
    • Staff understand most of the content and goals but they will need money as well as a political push.
    • Incorporate INSTPP into presentation.
    • Show positive examples (e.g. Vancouver protected bike lanes) rather than what we don't want (MUPs).
    • We do not want to bog the presentation down with technical details, focus on 2-3 takeaways.
    • Regarding the Active Transportation Coordinator, we may want to consider municipal org chart sensitivities. May not be budget to bring on another manager level, and this could come across as critical of staff. The planner/coordinator is already one person in some municipalities. Bring up Coordinator role toward end of presentation and link to INSTPP efforts. INSTPP could be the platform that brings the 3 municipal planners together.
    • Should we consider INSTPP presentation and possibly add an INSTPP forum for recommendation?
    • Questions we should have answers to:
      • Why did you pick these 3 routes as priorities?
      • What is wrong with the Spirit Trail?
      • How much do you think this will cost?
    • Questions we originally had for councilors - these will be sent in advance so they can formulate a response.
      • Rephrase the question about whether they bike to work - instead ask what would make them use their bikes more (less of an ambush question, allows them to respond positively)
  • RAC meeting - Jay
    • Committee Action Plan provided to HUB with our goals.
    • Committee handbook being updated.
    • Potential white paper being developed on business benefits of bike infrastructure.
    • Regional working groups on Central Valley Greenway/Alex Fraser/Pattullo replacement.
    • Asked about construction guidelines for bike lanes from around the region - Jeff Leigh sent the City of Vancouver example, which is currently undergoing an update.
  • Infrastructure Funding Tracker - Liaisons to provide updates to HUB HQ
  • 2018 Infrastructure Successes Map - Jay provided input to HUB HQ
  • The State of Cycling in Metro Vancouver - HUB HQ to publish in early summer
    • Translink/HUB - Standardized definitions of Cycling Infrastructure
      • Most municipal staff are aware of initiative.
      • Should be published in late spring.
      • looking for volunteers to do assessments of NS routes.
  • Letters of support for B-Line - Don
    • Positive acknowledgments received from: Jordan Back, Steve Ono, Linda Buchanan & Tony Valente
  • Guidelines for future "Letter of Support" - Don (see DNV notes below)
  • HUB Training on NATCO Guidelines - Heather, Paul & Don to attend
  • Budget - Any needs for our committee?

City of North Vancouver - Erika/Heather

  • Highlights from January meeting
  • ITC - Fiona
    • Casano – Loutet Overpass - detailed design 60% done, built in late 2019. requesting bike BC funding
    • Marine Dr Mosquito Creek Bridge - includes protected bike lanes at the sidewalks in two directions, start in March, finish in Fall
  • Next meeting - TBD
    • B-Line changes to include 2 sections of off street bikepath: 1) On Third Street along Moodyville Park moving east on the south side 2) from Gladstone to Brooksbank on the southside only. Sent a Letter to Mayor, Council and Staff regarding support for B-Line in general, but also asking for safe bike routes. The route includes Esplanade which really needs fixing.
    • Don and Heather responded to a request for comment from CBC regarding the death of the person cycling along Esplanade. When we get the details, we will think about a HUB response.
    • We have requested monthly meetings with staff (but have not heard back)
    • Attended the INSTPP meeting with TransLink and MLA Bowinn Ma. Many pro-cycling people in the room.
  • CNV response re collision on Green Necklace - http://wiki.bikehub.ca/northshore/images/9/93/CNV_response_re_collision_on_Green_Necklace.pdf

District of North Vancouver -Jay/Giacomo

  • Highlights from January meeting
    • 3 priority bikeways provided to staff ("Lower Levels", "Creek to Peak", "Harbour to Headwaters").
    • Preferred bikeway routing between Lower Lynn TC / 2nd Narrows and Lynn Valley TC provided to staff based on our observations and preferences. It is understood they have funds to improve signage, but several sections may require additional work.
  • NV Bike masterplan update - RFP for consultants released.
  • Bike BC funding support request re: 29th Avenue. Letter of support sent, will provide conditions for future requests to staff and tie this to the Regional Bikeways Classification study (i.e. must be AAA / Class A, preferred on our priority routes).
  • Next meeting on eBike share - potentially March 14th (same date as committee meeting).

District of West Vancouver - Peter

  • B-Line controversy
  • 13 Feb update from John Calimente, DWV Transportation Planning Analyst
    • North Shore e-bike share RFP underway - 1st pilot will be a docking system along Marine Drive corridor, Dundarave to and up Lonsdale, possibly also a dock at Grouse Mountain.
    • Hugo Ray connector - Capilano Bridge to 3rd Street on Hwy 1 - waiting for a permit from MoTI.
    • 3rd and Mathers ave to Taylor Way - draft design has been sent to MoTI.
    • Capilano Pacific Trail improvement up to Keith Road - draft design is with MoTI and Purchasing - TransLink funding - construction will take 3-4 weeks.
    • Wayfinding at the north end of Lions Gate Bridge - we will get to comment on the latest iteration.
    • Welch Street Bridge sidewalk widening - the plan is with Squamish Nation - Park Royal wants it finished before the busy summer season - widening will be completed before finalizing approach at the east end.
    • Royal Avenue Horseshoe Bay - on hold because only enough money for the 1st of 3 phases of the streetscape plan.
    • Bike racks for Ambleside and Dundarave - funds are available - design of the racks is being considered whether to adopt a standard or some kind of custom design.

Translink - Fred/Antje

  • e-Bikes on Buses - Ask HUB HQ to raise with Translink?
  • from HUB HQ meeting with TransLink: SeaBus by bike, Lonsdale Quay parking, Phibbs parking & bike share space


MOTI - Giacomo/Antje

Personal tools